Wild MZ-N707 Hack

Rate this topic

Hey...just a comment. I haven't read the entirity of this thread, but I did the hack on my N707 and had a few pleasant surprises. Most importantly, the LINE OUT option stays selected after the unit powers down! My R900 always resets on power down, and it has always bugged me, since I primarily listen in my car. Just that option alone has me using my 707 almost exclusively now!

I also messed with the sound presets--I don't know how any of us survived with a simple "bass boost" for so long!

I love this forum!

8) oh my hacks great n stuff...yeah all's that good..i haven't been arround for a while. look remember that prob i had where the reverse button was trying to track mark..well right now both back n foward buttons messed up..when i press foward it just goes back.so i'm like hitting a ball with a string sending it back i mean i would stay between 2 songs for ever .can't proceed to others on the disk.look now the damn thing won't record no more.i wanna know if ne one's experience the prob where the unit just won't record. it seems to be messing up my discs. i'm not too familiar with the whole service mode for the N707..i need some help on that cuz i wanna check out my recording options..other wise i'll probably stop using sony. up to this day i haven't had a sony md for over12 months without something going wrong with it damn! but yah..i thought it was a hardware prob..but not sure yet i'm gonna get a nother lens from another unit that blew out.n c if that's the prob.

Guest Anonymous

2 greycellgreen:

In my case (n707 v1400) "set sound" works only when it plays or is paused. Try it.

This is correct. The sound set is only available in Play or Pause mode.

Guest Anonymous

hey, i just purchased a 510 and i belive i read somewhere about using the v-surrouiund settings? could some who is knowledgable in this area please post detailed instructions on how to safely change settings, including do's and do nots? i saved up for a long time getting this, and i don't want to mess it up, like Ds.

Guest Anonymous

I GOT N510 ~ TRY F1+F2 ... NOW ALL KEY CHANGE AND CANNOT ENTER THE SERVICE MODE ANYMORE ... DAMN ... ANYBODY CAN HELP ME ?

BTW ... AFTER ENABLE THE F1+F2 THE 6 BAND EQ AND V-SURROUND IS AVAILABLE ... AND MANY THOSE M-TIMER ALSO WORKING ... JUST THE KEY ALL CHANGE !!! MY T-MARK AND END SEARCH IS GONE !!!  

HELP ME ~~

:cry:

SO IS MINE!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

um.. you can also get in using the remote. the keys don't seem to be messed up on it when you put the wrong code in. One thing i'd like to know though, can i use an lcd remote with my american n707 that came with the plain remote?

I wonder if i replace the main chip, if the firmware could be upgraded or downgraded? Also it would be cool if i could remap the keys on the remote (within service mode). But whatever i care more about the lcd. Ideas.....

Guest Anonymous

i have also heard that some russian dude did a hack on one of the higher-end net md walkmen. The hack upgrades the firmware to allow mp3's to be put on, but removes atrac capability. Allowing it to bypass openmg. If there could be a hardware hack on the mz-707 that could give it a sort of flash rom, maybe it could happen.

i have also heard that some russian dude did a hack on one of the higher-end net md walkmen.  The hack upgrades the firmware to allow mp3's to be put on, but removes atrac capability.  Allowing it to bypass openmg.  If there could be a hardware hack on the mz-707 that could give it a sort of flash rom, maybe it could happen.

That was one of minidisc.org april fool joke biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

hmm, thats the second one that got me. I feel like an idiot. The last one was a windows emulator for palm os5. I hang out in the palminfocentre forums quite a bit also.

oh yeah, after doing this hack, (which i've already done a long time ago), which remote can i use. I have the n707 american model, will those backlit lcd models work? And which is a good one to use, ie. to get the speed functions.

Guest Anonymous

ok, i MAY have an answer to the 510 and 710 forgetting the sound settings(Holy crap, that's annoying!).

ok. #1. how does the thing remember the bass and treble in the first place?

#2. When going thru the servvicec manual for 510, i noticed a section in service mode for ram. maybe the thing already HAS the memory chip, and all we have to do is enable it!

well, juust a thought. any one who has a MZN10 PLEASE post ALL of the numbers! (I would really appreciate it!) we could compare and hopefully resolve this issue!

BTW, i started to mess around with the numbers on my 519, and now the thing is messed up (the buttons). so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Guest Anonymous

Has anybody tried to modify the MZ-NF810 (or the MZ-NF610) in service mode to get the LINE OUT function? I am just curious does the MZ-N707 hack work on the MZ-NF810 or MZ-NF610? Has anybody tried anything?

thanx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

so i did the hack on my n707 and everything seemed ok BUT....

i sqitched the audio out from headphones out to line out...and nothing happened...i plugged my headphones into the line in port on the side of the N707...and there is no sound...but i plugged the headphone into the headphones jack and there was sound...regardless of setting the line in does not release sound...

this sucks...what did i do wrong...i wanted to transfer my recording thru a line out....and yes i know the n707 does not really have a "line out" only a "line in" but i thought the hack sort did a switch on it...am i screwing up somewhere...

i press menu...then the FF button to get to the audio out screen...prees REW to get to line out...pree play and LINE out stops flashing and that should be it...right?

thanks

Guest Anonymous

did the hack on a firmware 1.4 n707...the mic sensitivity cahnge to only 2 options now...low and high sensitivity...BUT...on the original unhacked 1.4 i could adjust the sensitivity of the mic in 1 step increments corresponding to the volume button...about 10 steps in sensitivity...

isn't this BETTER for mic recording....how can i switch back to this pre-hacked method....would REALLY appreciate any tips on how to walk backwards on the mic sensitive issue...

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

do you know a hack for a mz-n710 1.500???

the 1er hack dont work correctly in my mz-n710:

0.61>70

0.62>7B

i get the useful menu but not completed!

i have:speedctrl+play info all options are disapear!

when i enter jsut the 1ere values:0.61>70

i get audio out fonction and if i entrer the 2eme value i get speedctrl+play info all options are disapear!

if you know a hack work for a mz-n710 1.500 post please!

thank's

Guest Anonymous

can anyone post all the default values for their 707.

(i've got a uk version 1.100 if that makes a difference)

i did something wrong so tried resetting to the eeprom to the shipment values as stated in section 5 of the service guide. :oops:

now it won't work at all and states 'nv error' when out of service menu.

sony want to charge me £75 to fix it :cry:

Awesome hack! Tried it on my MZ-R500 and was delighted to discover all those new features.

One question though: is there any way to change the equaliser settings besides using the maintenance-mode? I think that the sound quality using the two prefixed settings (SOUND1 and SOUND2) are an improvement over the BASS-settings but it would be really great if I could adjust those settings too. Since the R500 doesn't support the remote I would guess that these settings would have to be accessible via some kind of key-combination.

Guest Anonymous

can anyone post all the default values for their 707.

(i've got a uk version 1.100 if that makes a difference)

i did something wrong so tried resetting to the eeprom to the shipment values as stated in section 5 of the service guide. :oops:  

now it won't work at all and states 'nv error' when out of service menu.

sony want to charge me £75 to fix it :cry:

managed to fix it thanks to http://www.minidisc.org/sony_mzr_reset.html 8) biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

i've done the hack on my mz-n707 ver. 1.1 european model

i have the rm-mc10l remote with display

changing the speed works fine

pdm doesn't work

by holding down the display key on the remote i can enter the menu

when i flip through it i can find a mode that's called SEARCH (it's not there when i flip through the menu on the machine)

when i select it i can choose between TIME and INDEX but nothing hapens when i select either one.

does anybody know what that SEARCH mode is for?

Guest Anonymous

Well i have installed it, I have no clue how to do any of the new stuff? first off main reasoni i put this on was to repeat songs, but how do i do it, i read the 900 manual and it uses some jog button, i dont' have it ? can anyone plz help?

u can turn it on thru the menu system i would think...there should be a function there in the main menu called GROUP to turn on group mode on or off...if you have either the RM-MC11EL or the RM-MC12ELK then you can just press and hold the DISPLAY for a few seconds and also search for the menu called GROUP....alternatively you can check whether or not group mode is turned on by seeing a "G" in front of the time elapsed (on the RM-MC11EL) or a symbol of a folder on the right hand side of the remote's LCD display (on the RM-MC12ELK)...

yeh a hacked 707 would give u access to a dedicated line out i would think...soo to transfer to a laptop u can just get a normal 3.5mm stereo cable and hook it up from your recorder's LINE OUT to your laptop's MIC IN (or LINE IN if you're lucky)...and then use a recording software that allows you to record from the mic/line in and you should be good form there... tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

This hack as so perfectly explained at http://www.minidisc.org/mzr700_to_mzr900.html is simply awesome! My 505 ends up with a slightly different timer function than described in the 900 user's manual, but the whole thing -- especially the new tone control settings -- is perfect. But... how did this get figured out? It's sure not explained in the 505 service manual. Or not that I can decipher, anyhow.

I just wanted you guys to know, I have a MZ-N707 with a firmware version 1.4, it's on the service modes first screen, I did both hacks, and it worked fine, no problem with button placement switching, or anything. If you guys have problems, it might be that you have an older firmware version. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello all.

New to the forum.

I've hacked my n505

Here are the opts.

edit

disp

p-mode

r-mode ( mono, sp, lp2, lp4 )

mtimer

au out

s-sel

pdm

sync-r

mic (?????) i was surprised to see this opt.

option

So far all the opts work great except for the mic. Sinice I don't have the mic input opts.

Anyway the hack worked grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat tongue.gif . One question does any one have spare RM-MC12ELK that they are willing to sell?

Thanks

XFaega

Guest Anonymous

(MZ-N707) The line-out function doesn't alter the electrical characteristics of the sound or improve its fidelity. All it does is put the bass and treble in the zero position and puts the volume at the maximum setting. It is a convenience improvement rather than a performance enhancement. If you look at the schematic for the MZ-N707, you will see that the line-out function comes in after the headphone amp, so there are no real electrical changes.

As for the speed control, this is a useful feature for people trying to learn guitar parts by ear. Sometimes there are "pitch errors" on recordings which means that even if your guitar is tuned correctly, it will sound slightly flat or sharp when jamming. By adjusting the speed, you adjust the pitch of the song so these small errors can be corrected. Denon cassette decks used to have a speed control on them for this reason and were favoured by musicians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey all,

I upgraded my 707, though I don't use many of the features. My question is, has anyone else noticed their player to develop certain 'issues'? For example, when i plug my upgraded 707 into the comp to transfer songs, it decides that it's battery is dead within 60 seconds of being plugged in. I HAVE to use A/C power to upload songs, even though the battery is fresh and new. Also, my personal thing doesn't work all that well, and frequently it now forgets even my normal play settings (ex i leave it on shuffle repeat, it goes to normal). My MD might have been screwed up from the start, but has anyone else had these problems? Thx

--Databoy2k

Guest Anonymous

my mz-n505 has no volume at all... none not even a click when the headphones are plugged up.... does anyone think it is the amplifier ic that is screwed, or is there a hidden mute setting that i cannot access without a remote... i have tried everything to get it to go... i can get sound however by taking a wire and bypassing the amp ic and pushing it stright through a different amp ( like a set of active speakers)

i was just wondering if anyone else had a no volume at all issue... this was before the hack as well.. which i might add works extremely well!