basic, reliable MD player/recorder - suggestions?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i'm just after a MD that will record, is reliable, and above all, not too pricey. extra features/accesories don't bother me -- i just want something that won't break my bank balance while i suss this whole MD thing out. any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!

smile.gif

luceluna, there are two models that you might be wanting to look at:

Sony MZ-N505

Sharp MD-MT190

If you have lots of MP3s you want to put onto MiniDisc, the the N505 suits that purpose well, since it has "NetMD" which allows you to download MP3s at high speed from you PC, as well as record in real-time like non-NetMD units. While it is a bit bare bones feature wise, it certainly isn't a bad model to start you off. If you can afford the N707 though, that would be a better choice. Both these models have the Sony "Battery Bump" on the back where an AA is inserted to power it, so they don't lie flat.

The Sharp model MD-MT190 packs more features and it better designed, but it lacks NetMD, so while you can still record MP3s off your computer, this can only be done in real-time. No Sharp units have the "Battery Bump" like the low and mid range Sonys.

I think you'll find both units reliable and pretty tough. The Sonys are plastic backed, other than the all metal design of the Sharps, but the plastic is damn strong and won't cause any problems. If you think you like NetMD, then choose the N505 or N707 from Sony, if you don't really care about it then the Sharp is a winner.

Guest Anonymous

thanks, mystyler! i noticed you're in oz, as am i, so do you have suggestions as to where to buy either of the aforementioned models? is getting something from the states the way to go?

biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

if ur in the sydney area by any chance then i would suggest u go down 2 the cbd and look around HomeZone and G&V Imaging stores near Grace Bros. they usualli hav good prices and a range of md models also...

luceluna, there are two models that you might be wanting to look at:

Sony MZ-N505

Sharp MD-MT190

If you have lots of MP3s you want to put onto MiniDisc, the the N505 suits that purpose well, since it has "NetMD" which allows you to download MP3s at high speed from you PC, as well as record in real-time like non-NetMD units. While it is a bit bare bones feature wise, it certainly isn't a bad model to start you off. If you can afford the N707 though, that would be a better choice. Both these models have the Sony "Battery Bump" on the back where an AA is inserted to power it, so they don't lie flat.

i recently had bought the 505.. It's nice, cheap and has all of the things u need.. but just want to remind.. that the 505 doesnt have a mic in !!

a 707 should be considered.. biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...