battery bulge

Rate this topic

evan amos

all three of my md units are square shaped with the bump on the back for a single AA battery. i've always wondered if the they were staying with this or do you think they might switch to a more rectangular shape in the future? or they could even switch it to a AAA battery.

does anyone like the bump or would rather have a slightly rectangular md player?

Perhaps with the new, smaller ICs and optical pickups that they created for the Sony MZ-N10 they could get rid of the battery bulge?

Looking at my MZ-R70, I'd say that unless the unit is made longer, the battery bulge will have to stay. Even if the ICs and pickups were paper thin, they still need to fit a disc in there and a bit of casing to hold it in smile.gif

the only problem with that is i need one with mdlp mode. i thought about buying one of the ones that use gumstick batteries, but i'd rather stick to the AA's (i know that they have AA adapters, but they're ugly and annoying)

All the current low-mid end Sharps support MDLP, so that ain't a problem. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys checked out the MZ-EP11? It's actually thinner than an MZ-N707, mostly thanks to the slot-in mechanism. It's also more than slightly rectangular. Anyway, that unit is like 5 years old now, and has a thick and heavy metal housing. A new "MZ-N111" would rock, if they just used the landwinnings in miniaturization to size it down and make it lighter.

The battery bump doesn't affect me. I love the fact of being able to use AA batteries, I go for a travel and I don't need to carry the battery charger, just buy a cheap alkaline AA and I've hours of music to go. No more voltage or plug problems!!! I don't like the battery add-ons like screwing a AA adaptor to your MD (N1 for example), that makes the MD unit a real bulky one. As I said I don't mind the bulk, even when I put my 707 on a plain surface the angle inclination makes the unit more easy to view!

Have you guys checked out the MZ-EP11? It's actually thinner than an MZ-N707, mostly thanks to the slot-in mechanism. It's also more than slightly rectangular. Anyway, that unit is like 5 years old now, and has a thick and heavy metal housing. A new "MZ-N111" would rock, if they just used the landwinnings in miniaturization to size it down and make it lighter.

Ey? that's a player only..

I'd say make an R37 again, with only one battery. I find that's way better than having it stuck on the back.

The battery bump doesn't affect me. I love the fact of being able to use AA batteries, I go for a travel and I don't need to carry the battery charger, just buy a cheap alkaline AA and I've hours of music to go. No more voltage or plug problems!!! I don't like the battery add-ons like screwing a AA adaptor to your MD (N1 for example), that makes the MD unit a real bulky one. As I said I don't mind the bulk, even when I put my 707 on a plain surface the angle inclination makes the unit more easy to view!

I agrea with Ashitaka. The main reason why I got into MD was because of travel - they run on a standard, non-proprietary battery which can be found anywhere and you can fit a lot of tunes on the media, which is inexpensive and rewriteable. I haven't noticed any problem getting it in & out of my pocket, but BDU pants (army fatigues) are pretty roomy - that might have something to do with it biggrin.gif

SSG Bonnie

• 5 weeks later...

I thought the same thing too, but it turns out the Li-Ion battery at 370mAh and 3.6V ends up supplying more power than the 1400mAh 1.2V gumstick.

Can't remember exact details, but for the inquisitive, a thread exists around here detailing all that stuff.