Opinions on E900

Rate this topic

dannn

It's got many things you're familiar with from your N1:

Personal Disc Memory

Digital Sound Preset

Alarm

It's fairly tiny, about 100 grams with battery and disc.

Runs for about 20 hours or so on the NiMH gumstick, don't believe sony's 29 hour quote.

Bad: Mine broke after a week, due to a funky lens or something. I don't know. Never fixed it, it's sitting here right now in fact!

Not really anything else I can compare it to to tell you whether it's bad.

For US$89, take it, and never look back, it's a fine player.

im almost 2 year user of the E900 and nothing has been wrong with it at all.

Reliable and the battery lasts for ages. I use my E900 most days.

Very nice.

Erm it lasts longer than 20 hours , more like about 60 hours. Coz i usually dont have to charge it till about 3-4 weeks.

Light as anything,

Just get some new headphones , the ones that come with the E900 r shat! Ex-70's or E-888 will only do this unit justice.

Cya

Deadset, eh?

The only units that comes close to playing for 60 hours in LP4 on the gumstick are the E710, DS8 and my HX400. Even then you'd be doing well to get 40-50 hours out of them.

I am sure enough to say that it is impossible for the E900 to achieve that amount of playback time being used for 2 hours a day until you recharge it. Sony gets the 37 hours figure by testing it in a controlled environment - continous playback with volume set at "0" on a flat, stable surface.

Now, lets think about this - you are walking to work. All the while the disc is constantly spinning thanks to G-Protection, you are no doubt listening to the music, so volume would hardly be at "0" and no doubt you'd be skipping some tracks now and then. All this would suck battery juice like there is no tomorrow, reducing battery life by a considerable degree.

If Sony could somehow extract 60 hours of play on just the gumstick then you could bet your bottom dollar that they would have quoted that, and not 37 hours. There is no way, that when I used to listen to my LP2 disc for about two hours a day, with powersave on, and having my HX400 on a flat, stable surface that I got anywhere near 60 hours.

Any other E900 users want to prove me wrong?

I think Mystyler is right. If Lustral is using it over a 3 to 4 week period, unless he is logging his usage, then his estimate is very subjective. From that standpoint, it may indeed "feel" like 60 hours. I had this experience with my N505. I would have quoted the battery life as infinite. It seemed like months before even one segment in the battery display was depleted. My sons E909 is the same. It seems to last forever. I have tested the Sony times, usually when I get a new unit (didn't do this with all of them) and I think they are often on the high side. They are going to claim as much as they can.

Mind i have had the unit for almost 2 years. Ok i might do a test on it , and leave it constantly on and time how long it lasts on a full charge.

LP2 Disc with a recording of 2 Hrs exactly and no changing tracks , just repeat all disc

NM-14WM Sony Battery

Volume 15 as its half way and no Sound setting.

Ill report back with the duration.

From that standpoint, it may indeed "feel" like 60 hours.

That's the idea! biggrin.gif - I think my Aiwa has lasted forever, but when I think back, I only charged it a week ago.

I suppose I could have saved a few lines by just typing that...:?

Nevermind, let's see what you get Lustral. smile.gif

From an E900 owner: When it worked, I recharged it once a fortnight, I used it 1 1/2 houra a day, in SP mode. Gumstick only. Sitting on my ass, in a bus. That gives about 15 hours. 29 hours playback? Really... I tell you, it's not going to get 60 hours smile.gif

Lustral, that is excellent! Not quite 60 hours, but a great testament to the improvements since the MZ-1. I used to get about 45 minutes, then switch to my second battery (which weighed more than my N10 does now) to get another 45 minutes.

In my own tests, I have noted a huge difference between just letting it play, vs. switching discs, moving to and fro tracks, and of course especially editing (as this is really brief recording).

Thanks for the effort!

• 2 weeks later...