N10 battery problem

Rate this topic

MDpower

Rumor again: It seems that the internal Lith,Ion battery of N10 has power drainage problem. If u charged the batter to the full and leave N10 unused for like 1 or 2 days the bat.indicator shows only 1 bar left.

Sony is aware of the problem and fixed it, this issue won't be found in the future units.

Anyone can confirm this?

I haven't noticed this, but then my N10 is never idle for a full day or two.

There probably is some drain on the battery even when idle. That's why they put that internal battery on/off switch there. I initially bitched about switch but it is there for exaclty this purpose. If you know that the unit will be idle for an extened amount of time you turn off the battery. The power circuit if broken and there are no pathes for which the energy can drain out of the battery. I do switch it off when I go to sleep (unless it's charging).

Now IF the bettery still drains out when the switch is off then that would s*ck. If I run across a time to test this I will but it's unlikely as the N-10 is my only portable and I don't know if I could stand not using it for the amount of time it would take to test it.

bilbo

I have a suspision about this. I experienced the described problem, but only when my unit was in "Quick" power mode. When set to "Normal" power mode, there was no degradation in battery power. Any one with an N10 who can try this might help claify the source of the rumour. It might be a feature of "quick" mode.

If it does turn out to be a known problem, it can be handled by the warranty.

I have had my N10 off the cradle and charger since my last post. I have listened to it for several hours in this time period (4 hrs or so). The battery still shows full charge (no segments open). I will try it off the cradle for the next day or so with the Quick powermode on to see if I can replicate the battery drain.

Update to my "quick" mode theory. It seems like the main function of quick mode is to immediately restart play from where the disc was last stopped. When you press play, you get NO motor spin up, just music. That means what "quick" mode does, is keep the buffer memory powered up so it can immediately play on demand. If you keep the unit on the cradle usually (like at the end of a day having used the unit for your commute), the battery would be topped up and you would be OK. Otherwise, this would definitely run down the battery even if you don't use the unit, just like a windows laptop PC in sleep mode.

SlimeLord, I'm confused by your comment. If you are not using quickmode, I wouldn't expect your battery to drain. Do you mean you tried putting it in quickmode and it didn't drain, or that you did not ever try quickmode? BTW, I agree with you, quickmode is not worth any battery life trade off to me either.

If in quickmode the unit is powering memory, eventually the battery will drain.

Andy, I tested this. In quickmode, when you stop playing, wait for the unit to shut down, display is blank, then press play, the playing starts instantly: no delay. When you switch discs, and press play as soon as you close the player, it takes about 4-5 seconds for the play to begin. This is the same whether quickmode or normal mode is selected.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to test if my battery drains when not in use but my battery life is attrocious. I LOVE my unit in every other way.....but my old R700 with 1500 NIMH rechargable batteries kicked it's ass. I'd say I'm right around 10-12 hours of use for battery life. I wonder if it is possible to buy a higher grade rechargable that will work in this unit....

Macros

Guest Anonymous

why would you need the music to start up instantly after a day or two? why not just hold the data for an hour or so and power off the memory to conserve battery life. any other suggestions?

There would be no point. It would only be useful to a daily user who charged up every night anyway. This indeed might happen in Japan, where MD's are often used by train commuters.

Overall, the battery life of the N10 is OK (I wouldn't say atrocious), but not great.

• 7 months later...
Guest Anonymous

wow, what a lemon yes is true. The battery does drain pretty fast. My unit one week old and if I fully charge the md listen for 10 minutes then turn off the unit until the next day, say about 16 hrs later almost no battery juice left. The only good thing about it I have a Sony authorize center in my home town and I know the technitian so no down time if they need to order a replacement battery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was warned about this problem when I was given a choice between the N10 and N910. I chose the N910 because it had no internal batteries so I had full control of battery power. It uses a 1350mah NiMH GumPack and together with another external NiMH 2100mah battery, I can just barely get 131 hours non-stop from it on powersave mode. It maybe your battery wearing out but I highly doubt it.