MZ-N707 for recording live music

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi... looking for MD recorder for live music. MOST importantly though -- after recording -- i want to be able to DUMP the recordings onto my MAC.

is the MZ-N707 for me? suggestions for other MDs?

thanx

Forget about that Sony cr*p! You can't upload using NetMD anyway.

I have used Sony MZ-N505/707 and Sharp MD-MS722 for live recordings.

Sharp vs Sony

sync on any input vs sync only on digital

quickly responding VU meters vs dysfunctional VU meters (incorrect max)

good microphone amp vs crap microphone amp

silent motor vs noisy drive

FLAT frequency response vs overly much bass on sony line-out (+3dB)

powerfull lineout vs very weak lineout (over 7db difference). I need to use a separate mixer to "pre amp" the sony signal otherwise I'm unable to get +0dB on my PC's line in!!

It's really a tragedy.

SO whatever you do get a Sharp, at least you'll have 'ease of use' and the ability to use it as a good line-out.

www.minidisco.com has very nice MD-MT200 recorders bundled with pro microphones.

Guest Anonymous

aidix, thanks for the info. so with the sharp's lineout, i'll be able to dump the recordings into my MAC's mic input?? i think that's the only line-in i have....

sharp sounds great. i'll research it more. thanks for the link.

Forget about that Sony cr*p! You can't upload using NetMD anyway.

I have used Sony MZ-N505/707 and Sharp MD-MS722 for live recordings.

Sharp vs Sony

sync on any input vs sync only on digital

quickly responding VU meters vs dysfunctional VU meters (incorrect max)

good microphone amp vs crap microphone amp

silent motor vs noisy drive

FLAT frequency response vs overly much bass on sony line-out (+3dB)

powerfull lineout vs very weak lineout (over 7db difference). I need to use a separate mixer to "pre amp" the sony signal otherwise I'm unable to get +0dB on my PC's line in!!

It's really a tragedy.

SO whatever you do get a Sharp, at least you'll have 'ease of use' and the ability to use it as a good line-out.

www.minidisco.com has very nice MD-MT200 recorders bundled with pro microphones.

I have spent several years recording LOTS of live music with a Sony MZR50 (silver). At some point it developed mechanical problems, so I looked for a replacement, and was appalled that the new model doesn't have a 'LINE OUT'. Then I look online and everyone is crying the blues that there is no digital out. (I agree, I wish there was. And I would love to find Mac software to work with the digital files and the recorder).

HOWEVER......

The earphone port on the new blue Sony functions as a line out. I attach a mini stereo cable (from Radio Shack) to the earphone out, the other end to iMic, which is attached to the USB port on my imac (there is no line in on my imac, can you believe it?). I edit in Sound Studio, which makes .wav and other files.

I then drop them to CD's or use itunes to convert them to mp3 to send in email. It's not too complicated.

You can edit files directly on the recorder if you just want to keep them on minidisk. I've had mine set on LP4 (5+hours per disk) and haven't had a reason to change it back, so there's scads of room.

This is more than acceptable for the work I do.

I lost 6 months of time because I didn't realize that the earphone port can be audio out...DUH.

Cheers,

maggie hettinger

PS. Looking at the equipment, be aware that you also need a powered microphone to complete your system. (uses batteries)