NetMD, is there any point?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, i have read lots of MD units for the past week/6 months, almost year now. I still haven't been able to decide what MD unit is really worth it. But now i'm in singapore and my only source of music is from a CD player which skips when i walk with it, which is very frustating. So now it is time to buy. But my major problem, which so many others seem to have, is it really worth spending the extra on NetMD; since you can only record in Realtime, is there any point? What are the advantages for NetMD ova normal digital record from PC to MD? and also, sony's annoying copyrighting thing, you can't record from MD to PC, although i know that can be ovaridden. So why do so mny of you like this MNetMD if it has these flaws??

Also, has any one had any problems with skipping on any MD units?? Everytime i have ever brought anything with the so called "jog-proof protection" system, it does skip (as my CDplayer has this, but skips even when i try walk lightly). So is there an machine which really doesn't skip??

Thats really my only questions i have, if anyone wants to point me in a direction of a good review/er, I'll be thankful for that. Or your opinions.......

My condiserations for what MD to buy are the Sony mz-n10 & mzr909 (i cannot find the 910 or is this a US model of the 909?), Sharp mt200 and the sharp im mt880.

Thankyou for your time

Chris

Guest Anonymous

I have just read (to my surprise) that NetMD does record tracks faster than realtime. So can someone point me in a decent site direction for information. The more i read the more confused things seem to be. Everything iva read so far points that NetMD records in realtime, hence my I created this topic. but now???

but the copyright thing still bugs me (if you are a NetMD user, how does is really affect your use of ur music transfers) and since i wont be home for at least a year (homes where all my mp3's are) should i just bother buying the non-netMD's?

and what speed or mode does the NetMD let your transfer to? also, Is there a quality limit on mp3 being able to be transfered to your netMD? ive herd that it will only let you transfer at 192bitrate only. It seems i need to do more research and the probabilitly of ever buying an MD unit seems distant, as im always pulled one way and then the other.

Thanx

CR

Yes NetMD can allow transfers faster than real-time, and the supplied software does have issues with VBR and 192kbps+(?) MP3s. They can be done away with though, if you use the "nero/simple burner" method. I can't give a link now, because the board it is being hosted on seems to be down. The speed depends on what recording mode: it is something like 2x in SP, 16x in LP2 and 32x in LP4 - although take these figures with a pinch of salt. You cannot upload via USB with NetMD though - a gripe of many people.

NetMD units can record in real-time too, like their non-NetMD counterparts.

Copyright stuff restricts you to 3 "checkouts" per song, before the song can no longer be transfered, unless you "check in" one or more of the song. Most people like NetMD for the fact that you can download at high speed and title on the PC - the latter used to be available to MD PC decks, and with the purchase of third party hardware for Sony and Sharp hardware for Sharp units. I'm not a fan of NetMD - nothing beats the "Old School" way of recording, in real-time!

I've never had an MD skip - except when someone nearly destroyed mine. He pumped 2x the required voltage through it, then "tried to beat the anti-skip" by whacking it in his hand. :? So don't worry - they won't skip, unless you're a loser and mistreat your gear. :mrgreen:

The MZ-R910 is an improved MZ-R909, both without NetMD. The MT200 doesn't have NetMD either.

The N10 and MT880 do, as does the Panasonic MR250 which is a beauty.

Once you've bought an MD, you won't look back, just make sure you buy which one you think suits your needs. biggrin.gif

Also, has any one had any problems with skipping on any MD units?? Everytime i have ever brought anything with the so called "jog-proof protection" system, it does skip (as my CDplayer has this, but skips even when i try walk lightly).  So is there an machine which really doesn't skip??

Have you ever used a Sony Discman/CD Walkman that had "G-Protection"? I've used one of these (D-FJ61 or something was the model) and I could barely make it skip with the G-Protection turned OFF! But turning the G-Protection on made it impossible to skip. I dangled it on the wrist strap and really went wild but it didn't skip. I'm sure it would skip if I didn't give it time to fill the buffer or kept at it for a good long while, but really it was skip-proof.

Now think of an MD player with the same "G-Protection" buffer/pickup technology... An MD has around half (probably less than half) of the distance the pickup can move in either direction so it's recovery from mistracking is even faster.

That said, you'll be hard pressed to make an MD with G-Protection skip, believe me. Even the units with "regular"/non-G Protection memory of 40 seconds don't skip. Just make sure you let the buffer fill before subjecting it to shocks and you'll be set. (Note that G-Prot units require you to give it some vibration after the first little bit of play to "activate" the full G-Protection system).

Roland M.

Guest Anonymous

I just recently purchased a Sony MZ-N1, and I certainly think the NetMD is worth it. It depends what your usage is, but in my case, I really like being able to decide at very short notice to make up a new disc, so I simply go in and with the supplied software (or other options) make up a new compilation, and zing it across to my player at 16x (LP2). Despite some misgivings, even with the supplied software, for all its built in limitations to reduce copying, this is a painless and quick process on my system. I do keep all the files on my hard drive for quick access though.

If you want to record real time, well that's fine too, but for general listening, it becomes very easy to get used to the NetMD transfer speed and convenience, and blank MDs are much cheaper than Memory Sticks, etc for MP3 players, so you can always keep a few spare lying around.

You don't have to be stuck with the supplied software anyway. Either use the Nero/Simple Burner method to get around VBR MP3s, or use The Real One player with the Sony devices plug in. This little wonder lets you convert and transfer MP3s via a temporary file if hard disk space is crucial, and it doesn't have the 3 strikes and your out limitation. It is also free. I actually get the best results from recording my CDs as high bit rate MP3s which remain archived on my harddisk, and then use Real One to transfer to my N1 in the MD bitrate of my choice. No copy counts, no limitations, and I believe it actually sounds better than the supplied OpenMG Jukebox from Sony, but that is purely subjective. It also allows me to record LP2 and LP4 from the same CD rip, where as Jukebox requires separate rips as far as I can tell. LP4 soun quality is not so good, but it's nice to have the option. LP@ sounds very good for everyday listening.

I use my N1 at the gym three times a week. I put it in my shorts pocket, and forget its there. Zero skips. Even on tread mills, bikes, etc. It's very small size, and long battery life (>70 hours) also rocks big time, as I do a lot of overseas travel.

I hope this helps, and I would think that the MZ-10 would be even better.

Den.

Relatively new MD user (~2 months)

Guest Anonymous

Thanx guys/girls>? for the reply's. I am still looking into what MD is best for me. But it looks like i might get the sharp dr7 if i can find somewhere here that sells it here(singapore). Otherwise im not completely sure. I still wont be home (as imtravelling) for about another 5 months, so it might be easier to stick with an non-netMD unit then perhaps when i get home, and a new computer i can look into the NetMD solution again. It seems like an wicked idea, and all this other software 'Nero' which you can use instead of the OpenMg software makes it sound even better.

Thank you to Mystyler, Ziggy, MDX400, den and Leland for your reply's!!

Chris

hope my reply isnt too late.

"still wont be home (as imtravelling) for about another 5 months, so it might be easier to stick with an non-netMD unit then perhaps when i get home, and a new computer i can look into the NetMD solution again"

just to make sure you know

NetMD units can still act as a normal Non-netmd recorder.

-dan