Anti-MP3 movement!

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

:shock: I really don't understand, how people can appreciate and be fascinated such funny format like mp3!!?? This compression algorithm was created for transfering sound through Internet, other networks or just for telecommunication purposes. IT HAS NOTHING TO REAL SOUND!!! The MD (with evolved and continously improved ATRAC compression algorithm) was designed for the best sound reproduction of copied music since beginning.

Nowadays Mp3 format came into real audio world with shit sound quality it offers. HOW COULD IT HAPPEN??!!! It's clear sign that people are getting more and more deaf... When I hear "expert" opinions on Mp3 format - "near CD quality" then I start to think this world went crazy!! Especially that audio brands follow market demand, producing lower quality audio toys nowadays, missing the crucial part in it - the sound quality. Numerous brands which were pioneers of the State-of-Art sound and obvious choice for people who love and feel the music, at present they are flooding market by tons of audio rubbish.

The worst is that deaf people convince others that such funny formats like mp3 sounds great, thus they follow them like blind sheeps. How can they discover REAL sound, real quality , if they are pushed by aggresive advertisment, some kind of primitive fashion and computer maniacs voices?

I am not audiophile, but I still have good hearing and keep it out from such rubbish like mp3. I appreciate my hearing, the gift I have got and there is no space for wasting its potential by listening mp3.

I am writing these words based on my experience with both mp3/WMA and the rest (means real audio world).

Technically speaking those computer compression formats of sound haven't any basis to be compared with Sony ATRAC algorithm (improved to the State-of-Art level). Just buy any MiniDisc Deck from QS class (they are getting very cheap), connect it to real CD Player (not CD-rom drive.. :-)) ) then you will see the light!

I realise that my voice is like an attempt to stop the river by stick, but I still have a hope that there are people which feel the same and share my perceivings I got so far. We should create the anti-mp3 movement to let the people discover the real audio world and beauty of the sound!

Guest Anonymous

Just because a person enjoys MP3's, that dosnt make them stupid. Rap, does take talent and skill, try to doing your self and see how well you do. You cant put down a whole genre and call it "crap" just because you dont like it, it makes you sound "misinformed and misguided".

As for the Anti-MP3 movement I would not go that far. You can get great sounding MP3's when ripping using EAC and encoding with Lame. A little tweak here and there, and all tunes sound nice-nice :). Also if it wasnt for MP3's, man, I would have missed out on so many bands!

~GD|eNSo

I used to be of the opinion of the first two posts on this page, but my opinion has shifted somewhat. Rap actually does take skill, although I think it takes far more skill to learn to play and instrument. While rap is relatively unintelligent and simple music, it is still a valid form of music. As for mp3, the quality of mp3 files has improved substantially from what it was originally. While IMHO LP2 kicks the hell out of 128 kbps mp3 and it would rock if atrac3 could easily replace mp3, it's not gonna happen and really doesn't need to. MP3 has improved enough now to where if you use a good encoder you can get good sounding files. Try lame, I uuse MMJB and it sounds pretty good to me.

I find it funny that people rag on rap music as being "stupid" and requiring "no talent". I can just as well say that most mainstream rock music is "stupid" and requiring "no talent," with them playing the same 4 chords over and over again and screaming something unintelligible. However, I digress...

MP3s, when done properly, sound great. It will never be as good as CD quality, since it's lossy compression, but if you use a decent encoder (LAME was mentioned in an above post) and use a decent bitrate (192kbps+), the results are quite good. I'm new to the MD game so I don't really know what my opinion is yet as to if MDs are as good as they're cracked up to be.

Is ATRAC lossy compression? Anyone know and/or where to find out that kind of information?

I used to be of the opinion of the first two posts on this page, but my opinion has shifted somewhat. Rap actually does take skill, although I think it takes far more skill to learn to play and instrument.  While rap is relatively unintelligent and simple music, it is still a valid form of music.  ....

I disagree, and heres why. What I think some people here are confusing "rap" with, is with what is being sold in the general mainstream. I myself cannot stand mainstream, rap/hip hop, pop, and even most rock and I agree, mainstream music is boring, somewhat unintelligent, and played out, but obviousily omiting a few. You have to keep in mind there is a whole level of "rap": different origins. sounds, and people. Just like other genre's.

Ill give you one example: Zach de la Rocha, and Rage Against the Machine. One of my fav bands. If you are open minded you cannot tell me that Zach's rap lyrics are unintelligent; simple. They are far from that. It takes much practice, patience, and skill, to be up at a level to get up on stage and rap for an hour or so.

Ask a vocalist, how much of an instrument their voice is.

I'm sorry I ripped on  a whole genre, I just tend to listen to more talent and educated types of music, types of music that take years of practice and patience to achieve the lowest degree.

You listen to Sitar music?

RudeDoggy, check out minidisc.org's FAQ section for Atrac info.

understand that there is a big difference between 128 kbit mp3 and 320 kbit mp3, yes mp3 is still a compression format but really unless you have an a/b compairison you will not hear the difference between the cd and 320. now granted that has its limits too, if your listening to opera or a single accustic guitar you will hear some loss, but while going down the road in your car listening to your fav rock band or what have you, you will not hear any difference at all.

and atrac has its downsided lp4 sounds like a poor 128 kbit mp3 so don't bash one technology when not fully knowing about it.

I have over 60 gigs of 320 kbit mp3s and all of them are used to putting music on my md. I like my mp3s.

Guest Anonymous

:shock: Ooh man... Do you think that I have considered 128 kbps mp3 only?

I know mp3 format not worse than you I think.

Concerning ATRAC I have never used LP2 or LP4 mode of atrac because it degrades sound quality too much. MD blanks are so cheap that I can't see th reason to record in those modes. What's the problem to put more MDs recorded in SP mode into my pocket? There is no need for quality compromise, whereas you can have the best quality wherever you are and whatever you do. Great sound can give you real pleasure, believe me! By the way, the newest ATRAC Type R development perfectly responded to all customer needs and requirements. You don't have to worry that you listen to very demanding music material like classical music, jazz or others, or you are in car or walking outdoor. It quarantees maximum quality of sound reproduction (under condition you use good sound source for recording- rubbish in/rubbish out rule is obvious). You aprreciate this, since you will buy the "normal" audio equipment (not mini and midi hifi-sets or other similar toys). Go for Marantz, NAD, Denon..etc (the lowest resonable audio quality "shelf")

And the last remark..I am sorry to say that, but if you think that mp3 320kbps provides indistinguishable , very high quality music then I think we must talk about different mp3 formats :-)))) Try to listen to this "superb" mp3 sound on any good quality (serious) hi-fi equipment (not on your computer speakers or other funny plastic audio rubbish which have been flooding our audio market last years), then we can continue discussion...

What is Sitar?

RATM!!!!! Hell yeah. One thing to point out concerning my above statement about about rap as an unintelligent form of music...while Zach raps, it's not so much the rap that you are referring to as being intelligent as the lyrics, and keep in mind that most forms of music have some kind of lyrics. Musically, Zach's rapping is not intelligent; it is just his highly intelligent lyrics "recited" over the music created by guitar prodigy Tom Morello (sp?) and the other band members. Although the way he raps does require some skill, I would venture to say that it takes a lot more skill to take an alto sax solo over the changes to Giant Steps than to rap ANYONE'S lyrics. I bet Morello has spent a hell of a lot more time practicing guitar than any rapper on the face of the planet Earth has spent rapping.

• 2 weeks later...

okay i said near cd quality and unless you have the ab compairison you will not know the difference between 320 unless you absolutly crank it, inwhich case hell I can hear it no problem. I don't use shit hardware either. I have 10 grand worth of bryston equipment for power then paradigm reference tower speakers followed by a set of reference kefs.

i can clip with an mp3 cranked but not a cd.