Minidisc playback everywhere!

Rate this topic

doclloyd

Here's what I think what Sony should do to make MD become more popular in the US:

* More car stereo MD head units.

For all those mixes people have spent putting together for workouts/train rides could be listened to while driving. Beats taking your portable into the car with you to play back your mixes. That and more cars don't come with cassette decks (or have Aux-In ports).

* More non-portable playback ability

Equipment like boomboxes, mini-shelf systems and decks for component systems in the entertainment center (I love my MXD-D5C!!!) Having more options of how to listen to your MD will only further entice people to use it as a recording/playback medium.

* Computer drive

I've seen this mentioned before, but I'll say it again. Having a drive in your PC (NetMD enabled of course) would make mix creation that much simpler vs. plugging in your portable, etc... (less clutter is good). An external drive would be nice too. Yea, I've seen one available, but more widely available and cheaper would help. Oh, and Mac and Linux support. :-) Ok, so I'm dreaming a bit much now... but these are just requests.

There, my rant is done for now. biggrin.gif Thanks for reading.

I agree with you on the car decks and the non-portable units; however I don't think that having more computer drives would enhance the perpetuation of the MD in the US that much. People usually don't buy a new home computer every year, they usually wait about three or four years before they burn more money on a computer.

Guest Anonymous

Here's what I think what Sony should do to make MD become more popular in the US:

* More car stereo MD head units. 

For all those mixes people have spent putting together for workouts/train rides could be listened to while driving.  Beats taking your portable into the car with you to play back your mixes. That and more cars don't come with cassette decks (or have Aux-In ports).

* More non-portable playback ability 

Equipment like boomboxes, mini-shelf systems and decks for component systems in the entertainment center (I love my MXD-D5C!!!) Having more options of how to listen to your MD will only further entice people to use it as a recording/playback medium. 

* Computer drive

I've seen this mentioned before, but I'll say it again. Having a drive in your PC (NetMD enabled of course) would make mix creation that much simpler vs. plugging in your portable, etc... (less clutter is good). An external drive would be nice too. Yea, I've seen one available, but more widely available and cheaper would help. Oh, and Mac and Linux support. :-) Ok, so I'm dreaming a bit much now... but these are just requests. 

There, my rant is done for now.  biggrin.gif Thanks for reading.

hasn't worked so far. why will it work now?

Guest, what do you mean it hasn't worked so far. The point of my post is that much of this equipment is lacking in the US (lack of selection in decks and boomboxes/mini-systems with MD).

It seems they are pushing the medium a little bit more now, especially with all these new portables coming out this year. Having more places to listen to your music makes it all the better. That's what I'm saying :-)

Guest Anonymous

Guest, what do you mean it hasn't worked so far. The point of my post is that much of this equipment is lacking in the US (lack of selection in decks and boomboxes/mini-systems with MD). 

It seems they are pushing the medium a little bit more now, especially with all these new portables coming out this year. Having more places to listen to your music makes it all the better. That's what I'm saying :-)

there was a huge push about four years ago: full range of decks, shelf systems, changers, boomboxes, portables, car units, pre-recorded MDs, pretty much every BestBuy store had an MD aisle. Where are they now?

MDs will never become mainstream in America (God is my witness, they tried), it's a niche product here.

You have sparked a bit of my memory... that was in my earlier years, when I had no money to spend so I didn't pay much attention to what was out there. So ok, it hasn't worked before, but neither did Sony have things like MDLP or NetMD to spark more interest in the medium or ease of use. In their push against MP3 players, now would be a great time to revive this market for MD equipment other than portables. More stuff with MDLP (esp. for car decks - lots of decks are out there, but so few with MDLP).

Agreed, so far it's a niche market. But there's always the possibility that it won't be... maybe it's all a big dream, but that's what I'd like to see. Which is the whole purpose of this forum I think. :-)