MZ-N10 new discovery!!!!

Rate this topic

profingersk8er

i had my sony MZ-N10 for a while now. i downloaded english SonicStage 1.5 about a month ago.

yesterday when i was downloading music onto my n10, i accidently pushed my n10 off the USB stand while it was recording. the 3-line display kept blinking "Data Save" for a pretty long time, i thought it was a error and turned my n10 off by switching the "BUILT-IN BATTERY" switch from the back and switched it back on to finish recording my disc.

after that...i looked at my n10 closely when it was recording. i realized something! MY N10 WAS RECORDING SONGS RIGHT AFTER ANOTHER! WITHOUT UPDATING TOC!!! (it only updated it's TOC after the recording was done, not after every song like OpenMG)

so can someone with a Sony MZ-N10 and SonicStage 1.5 please check, if this is how SonicStage is like or i'v discovered something about mz-n10??

sorry about my sentences, im only 14 :mrgreen:

Guest Anonymous

hmmm...

on reviews it does say n10 does nnot have the ability to do toc after the completion of the whole playlist.

i dont think its the sonicstage. =

it could be a hack.

so u never noticed this before u knocked it?

hummm...im 100% sure that my n10 used to update its TOC after each song when i was using OpenMG, but i never had a chance to look it at after i switched to SonicStage...so i dont know

EVHShawn - it took me two weeks of buying and selling stuff on ebay to make enough money for a n10, my parents dont even know iv bought it biggrin.gif

hmm my n10 updates toc after each song, so it must a glitch, make sure it doesnt damage your unit.

hum....are you using SonicStage 1.5? because noever what i do (turning off the built-in battery, restarting my computer, trying with a new disc, and importing new songs), my n10 still only updates TOC after the whole transfer is done. it shows "Data Save" after each song, just not TOC Edit...

Oh - it won't damage your unit, every recorder on the planet doing a non-netMD transfer updates exactly once. At the end of the transfer.

i was doing a net-md transfer....lol

i was recording on LP4, which took me about 3-4 seconds per song. i was just wondering if i discovered something about n10 because without having to update TOC after each song made music recording much much faster (i recorded a full 80 min disc within 4 or 5 min)

i even have a 25 second .WMV video (i took with my digital camera) of my n10 recording 3 songs on LP4 and ends with one TOC update. since i dont have any web space to put up the video, give me your email address and i will email you the video (704kb)

I think he is more worried about if he caused some kind of short circuit because the unit is not behaving how it is intended to behave with a netmd transfer. i dunno if I'd call it a hack...

One thing to point out though. If you nare converting the songs while you transfer them, you don't lose any time through the toc edit thing; while the md edits after a song transfer, the comp starts encoding the nextsong. however, if you don't have to encode, then your transfer may be speeding up. is it possible that your netmd unit is still doing a toc edit after each song and just not displaying it?

ok i tried sonicstage and on the first  try, it did what you said without taking it out or anything, i believe thats how its works with n10,  cause i tried the n707 and it does toc after each track.

That would be fantastic tongue.gif

Then I would consider to upgrade. But I wonder why nobody realized this before??! On the sony message board someone even said that he used the N10 driver with his N1 and he found the device to work fast with this? Can this be true? I don't have the N10 driver so I can't test this.

I just tested this tonight and my sonicstage 1.5 does indeed update the TOC after every track on my N10. I wonder if the firmware is changed? The ROM in my unit is version 1.1 ( I think this is the first one out, as I got my unit the first few days it was available in Japan) I wonder what profingersk8er's is?

Any other N10 users care to confirm or deny this, now that we have two different experiences?

Guest Anonymous

Can anyone check the value of this key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareSony CorporationSonicStagePDForceTocUpdateMD

two fields:

(Default), REG_SZ, (value not set)

vid_054&pid_0097, REG_SZ,

vid_054&pid_0097 is, as far as I remember, the N10's id from NETMDUSB.inf file.

I just tested this tonight and my sonicstage 1.5 does indeed update the TOC after every track on my N10.  I wonder if the firmware is changed?  The ROM in my unit is version 1.1 ( I think this is the first one out, as I got my unit the first few days it was available in Japan)  I wonder what profingersk8er's is?

Any other N10 users care to confirm or deny this, now that we have two different experiences?

im not really sure what verson mine is, but i also bought mine the first few days from japan

wow! this boy found a n10 hack ON ACCIDENT! biggrin.gif all i did was, record a track and when it was data saving took it off the stand for a second, SS gave me an error blah smile.gif BUT i put it back on, tryed recording again, and NO TOC EDIT after each track ONLY after the entire list OMG lol YEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY wow what a happy great wonderful mistake, accident, hack!!!!!!!!!!!!

insanely happy,

jean-paul

Well, I have to say, I am in awe! I have just CONFIRMED this also. I did as geed said, removed my N10 from the cradle during the data save, then tried it again. Low and behold, only one TOC edit!

I then went back to Open MG Jukebox (I have both on this PC) and it behaved as before, saving the TOC after each track.

Trying SS 1.5 again, it still only did one TOC edit, after all songs were transferred. I even restarted the computer let the N10 power down, started over, and yes, only one TOC edit.

On a test sample, when I got my N10, I copied an album of Miles Davis stuff which was about 1 hour 4 minutes long and has 10 tracks. This took 3 minutes 5 seconds. Now, with only one TOC edit, the same album will complete the transfer in 2 minutes 15 seconds. This is a great improvement, and really makes the 2 x transfer improvement even more compelling than it was.

Fantastic!

my N10 does TOC update after all the songs are done too, but i have never attemped more than 10 at one shot. i usually do 2 or 3, sometimes 5, and it updates after everything is transferred.

btw, can anybody tell me if the remote is meant to be single line or double? i tot i read somewhere that the remote can display 2 lines, but mine doesnt. and there's no way of transferring the artiste name either rite? my sonic stage only transfers the name of the track, not the artiste.

those who have ans, pls let me know?

Sorry to be posting just as thoughts come to me, I think the total speed improvement for the N10 using this hack must now be GREATER than 2x since the TOC updates would take the same time in both 16 x LP2 units and 32 x LP2 units, so since the N10 only has one TOC edit, the benefit is greater than 2 x overall speed improvement. I just tried this with a 1 hr 4 min album that has 7 tracks (sorry, I said it had 10 before, I wasn't paying enought attention). The time on my N505 was 4 min 46 seconds, the N10 took 2 min 15 seconds. The total benefit was 2.12 x faster. The more tracks you have the better this would be.

Interesting is, that when I set sonicstage to "priority size" which converts to LP4 and then transfers, I still get TOC updates after every song. I tried the same method again, pulling the unit off the cradle during a data save, but it didn't change the way it operates. So perhaps this hack only works in LP2.

I hope Sony doesn't "fix" this bug.

btw, can anybody tell me if the remote is meant to be single line or double? i tot i read somewhere that the remote can display 2 lines, but mine doesnt.

yes it does hav a dual line remote...just keep pressing the display button on the remote until 2 lines of text comes up...the remote model i'm using is : RM-MC35ELK...it works on that...

thanx majectic, but darn, i have a RM-MC33EL remote. i really liked the dual line thingy. it only displays one line, however many times i press the display button. goes to show sometimes sony doesnt use its brains.

any idea where i could get a dual line remote? and other question is, can u all name an artiste for EACH and EVERY single song, or are u all, like me, limited to just naming 1 singer for the whole md?

thanx again =)

OK, let me resolve this, ehe, if you do convert your list first, it will not toc edit after each save, now if , like me you like to convert while transfering, if you use this technique, ( let your first track convert and during data save take it off the stand, then replace it ) then save the playlist normally it tricks it into thinking it already has it converted, it will convert, save and then finally after all, ONE toc edit. . .

hope this clears it up ,

for me, if you do not remove it during the first data save it will act normally, it will toc after each conversion, anyone have it diffrent? A Permanate non toc after each data save after each conversion ?

geed

my N10 does TOC update after all the songs are done too, but i have never attemped more than 10 at one shot. i usually do 2 or 3, sometimes 5, and it updates after everything is transferred.

btw, can anybody tell me if the remote is meant to be single line or double? i tot i read somewhere that the remote can display 2 lines, but mine doesnt. and there's no way of transferring the artiste name either rite? my sonic stage only transfers the name of the track, not the artiste.

those who have ans, pls let me know?

press display on the remote, it will change to double line

artist

song

Sorry to be posting just as thoughts come to me, I think the total speed improvement for the N10 using this hack must now be GREATER than 2x since the TOC updates would take the same time in both 16 x LP2 units and 32 x LP2 units, so since the N10 only has one TOC edit, the benefit is greater than 2 x overall speed improvement.  I just tried this with a 1 hr 4 min album that has 7 tracks (sorry, I said it had 10 before, I wasn't paying enought attention).  The time on my N505 was 4 min 46 seconds, the N10 took 2 min 15 seconds.  The total benefit was 2.12 x faster.  The more tracks you have the better this would be.

Interesting is, that when I set sonicstage to "priority size" which converts to LP4 and then transfers, I still get TOC updates after every song.  I tried the same method again, pulling the unit off the cradle during a data save, but it didn't change the way it operates.  So perhaps this hack only works in LP2.

I hope Sony doesn't "fix" this bug.

i was testing this today and i agree with you and it is amazing in lp4 because it takes no time to convert then save, and it works both lp2 and 4, so in addition to what you were saying id guess it/lp4 increases 4x ohmy.gif

also if you dont remove it during the first data save of the list it will work normally, well at least for me , , , :x but hey im loving this option smile.gif

and ironically, id speculate the programmers did this (toc crap) so that the unit wouldn't get knocked and u have to do it again? hmhm biggrin.gif

geed *n10 obsessed

Interesting findings...but guess what, my brand spanking new MZ-N10 from Canada comes out of the box NOT doing toc edits between each song.  It also came with a US voltage adaptor.  I didn't have to knock it off the stand to get it to stop doing constant toc edits.

ok this depends on how you do it, if you compile a playlist and convert it at the same time, THEN transfer, theres only 1 toc edit,

so, all in 1 step , with only 1 toc edit, thats the thing.,

also jap ac adapters have no problems in the u.s smile.gif

i'd also like to know about the remote, does it have a 2 line display?

geed

im pretty sure u can only get dual line display remote from japan

that's not entirely true...i bought an N10 from HK and it came with the Japanese model remote (RM-MC35ELK) and it is a dual line remote...i spose that it just depends on whether u'll b lucky enough to get a unit with the dual line remote...coz other ppl that i kno hav also bought from the same place i hav and they ended up with the RM-MC33EL remote instead of the 35ELK...