what is the best portable for recording live shows?

Rate this topic

optimistic-pessimist

I've been recording shows for a few years now with my first and only MD unit...the Sony MZ-R55. I've been relatively satisfied so far but I've recently decided to upgrade my whole system, from the recorder to the mics to my PC. The problem I'm having is in selecting a new recorder (since I want one that will record in long play mode). The only other features that I think will make much of a difference to me are 1)extended battery life and 2)a casing made of sturdy plastic rather than metal to reduce the chances of setting off any metal detectors. I suppose I'd also like to keep it relatively small; and a backlit remote is nice too. I've been staring at my screen for about 5 hrs straight now trying to sort through countless reviews and dimensions and photos so please...any input would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

WE ARE ALL ONE MIND

He o-p,

I also had the Sony MZ-R55 it is quite a nice recorder, but the battery life sucks.

So for my own recordings i was searching for a new recorder, I also stared at my screen for houres.

Eventually i bought my new unit: Sony MZ-R909. So far i am really satisfied.

Single Play, LP2, LP4 and mono recording. After inserting a disc you can immediately start recording due to the memory buffer.

There is a line in, optical and analogue. There's a mic in. There's is a line-out (negative point of: you have to change the out-put signal in the mindisc menu from headphone to line-out and vice versa when changing the output source)

The automatic recordvolume setting works good (enough) but it is possible to change the record volume when recording in manual rec, just by turning the jog-wheel.

It has got a long battery life when using the aa-battery pack, i always use that.

I say go for it, espacially when you DON'T WANT or NEED Net MD and you prefer Sony.

Theo Breimer

Can you please verify that it's possible to adjust the recording lever while recording with the R909, and not only in Record-Pause like earlier Sony models?

I bought a Sharp MD-MT888 last weekend, because Sharp models is great for live recording and my old MD-MT15 died some time ago. But I don't like the display of the 888, if it's true that the record level is adjustible while recording I thinking of changing to the R909.

I'd have to say go for a Sharp model for live recording. I own an MT880, and I would recommend either this model or the DR7. The only drawback I have heard so far with the DR7 vis-a-vis live recording is that it's not quite as straightforward to control it with the remote as with the MT880 (which has a dedicated record button on the remote). But once it's started you can use the FF/REW buttons on the remote or main unit (on both the MT880 and DR7) to adjust recording levels. I don't think any current Sony unit lets you control recording functions from the remote.