MD on Airplanes

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Yeah you aren't allowed to have anything on during take off/landing that isn't like a wristwatch or something. Realistically, there is no way in hell that a tiny md player running off one AA battery can do anything to emit any kind of signal that could cause any kind of adverse effects. (Lots o' any!) If you want, listen to your heart's delight during take off and landing...that is if you want the flight attendants to yell at you! They're gotten so mean recently...I was playing gameboy and I was trying to save and the lady got all mad at me and stuff cause I had it on like 15 seconds after they made the annoncement. Flying sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

The X-ray never harmed my MDs, but I got stopped by a security guy who wanted to know what my MZ-E3 was. He was kinda stuffy about it, but once I proved it just plays music, he relaxed and said it was pretty cool!

But yeah...little grey metal box with a small LCD screen on it. Could be a bomb, you know. :roll:

You'd be surprised at the interference an MD recorder gives off - and that is why all MD recorders have remote tuners, as a built-in tuner on the main unit either interferes with the MD, or the MD interferes with the tuner. I can't remember which way it is. biggrin.gif

So, turn the things off at TO and landing!

But remember, the intensity follows a 'inverse squared' relationship. That is, if you double the distance (from the MD to the device it might interfere with) then you quarter the intensity of the interference.

Assuming a 1m cord gives an 'acceptable' level of interference, you are sitting a fair way away from anything which shouldn't be interfered with, say 16 metres (16 is a good number becase it is 2*2*2*2 smile.gif). At 16m, the intensity is (1/4) * (1/4) * (1/4) * (1/4) what it would be at 1 metre, which is (1 / 256) =~ 0.4% intensity at 1m. Still, takeoff lasts for not very long, and if you can't last that long without music, then maybe it would be better that something failed - put some excitement in your life smile.gif

• 4 months later...

The Federal Aviation Administration, citing Federal Aviation Regulations, bans the use of all portable electronic devices-excluding pacemakers, hearing aids and the like-on aircraft during taxi, departure and landing if the plane is operating at less than 10,000 feet in altitude.

And one company, MegaWave Corp., has developed a technology that could recognize if wireless devices are operating on a plane, and even locate the suspected user.

Some is developing a technology to see if you accidentally left your cd player on in your backpack? That sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me, I've done a lot of flying and I've never heard of there actually be a problem because someone didn't turn off a device. In fact, I accidentally left my cell phone on once and everything was still ok. (Unlike an MD player, I actually do believe that a cell phone is perfectly capable of screwing up an aircraft's radio systems and stuff like that, so I was pretty upset when I found my cell phone on.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Back on topic (about the X-ray machine)...

X-rays are completely harmless to MD because it's an optical format.

Flash memory, however, can be very easily corrupted by X-ray radiation, so keep in mind on your next vacation to keep your camera's cards out of your luggage.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

They say no electronics on takeoff or landing, it's a good idea to turn them off, even if it doesn't do anything wink.gif

nice selection of recorders... esp the r37... starting one? haah, ive got the ds7 now too