MD sales figures?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can anyone point me to some actual sales figures on the number of minidisc units sold in the USA?

For instance, look at this page:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cem...madvdsales.html

It shows the month-by-month sales of DVD players since their introduction in Mar 1997. (43.7 million DVD players in the USA as of Dec 2002)

I see a lot of articles saying, according to "market statistics," minidisc is:

a) doing great

cool.gif dying

c) 40% of the "digital audio player" market (whatever that is)

I'd be curious to see some real sales numbers. The DVD sales figures cite the Consumer Electronics Association as their source. Anybody have access to their reports?

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

According to Sony's annual report an estimated 14.5 million MD's were shipped during the calender 2001. Its makes no mention of actual sales. Or if that 14.5 were actuall y purchased.

That's actually an excellent question, there are highly variable opinions as to the current success of minidisc. I looked and couldn't find any figures either.

From a personal level, the minidisc players at my local Best Buy haven't been staying on the shelves very long, which likely means people are buying them. Looks like the format is gaining strength down in the southern USA. Hell yeah, MD!

Guest Anonymous

According to Sony's annual report an estimated 14.5 million MD's were shipped during the calender 2001. Its makes no mention of actual sales. Or if that 14.5 were actuall y purchased.

believe me... they were sold. all of them... and sharps and panasonics... kenwoods... victors... all of them. and then the next year when it was time to get rid of the old ones... buy a new one. so cheap here in japan. ds8... 140-160 cdn dollars... like 125 euro