MD computer drive

Rate this topic

jamesdstark_

I want a IDE MD drive that you can write both data and audio to. In addition what may seem outrageous, but some way for the same drive to actually print labels onto a minidisc, particularly the small front label. Special minidiscs could be made that could be printed and erased on the front edge of the MD case.

My biggest frustration is I have the label on the front edge always peel off, and they are hard to write on because they are so small. Also actually making labels from the computer can be a huge inconvenience. First you have to load the labels in your printer, then get it all lined up right, and getting the edge label on just right can be somewhat precarious. Its really only effecient if your doing a lot of minidiscs at a time, which is almost never the case for me.

For printing I think 1 fixed font of at least 16 characters would suffice, just B&W. I'm sure this technology exists, maybe its too expensive but I think it would have a lot of alternative uses. It could default to print the title of the MD onto the edge of the disc, which would be the ultimate convenience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i too think this is a good idea because if i had an ide drive i would only need a md player and they are smaller than recorders. and i think that they should make the drive faces in diffrent colors and they shoud only use audio mds for both data and audio. although this is a bit off topic i think that sony should have a contest of who can design the best md player. i have some pretty good ideas.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if anyone can verify this, but I think I remember seeing NetMD drives in Japanese Vaio laptops. Works just like a Zip drive. Drag-and-drop and hey presto, a music MD. Other than that, the only MD drives commercially available have been the now-defunct MD Data drives (and even those are very hard to find).

I've seen pics of those Vaio laptops. Pretty slick concept. I do wish they had an internal MD drive, even if it's only for audio. I've seen external NetMD drives before, even sold on minidisco.com (not available at the moment), but internal would be much cleaner.

As for data MD, it's been discussed many times before that it doesn't look like Sony will do this again.

I've seen pics of those Vaio laptops. Pretty slick concept. I do wish they had an internal MD drive, even if it's only for audio. I've seen external NetMD drives before, even sold on minidisco.com (not available at the moment), but internal would be much cleaner. 

As for data MD, it's been discussed many times before that it doesn't look like Sony will do this again.

I think there are Vaio Notebooks that have a internal NetMD drive. Unfortenately only for Music, but its perhaps good for MD fans. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...