The Minidisc is dead, obsolete, KAPUT!!

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I would also like to make it clear that copying a CD for personal use in the US is within one's "fair use" rights--it simply is not piracy.  Outside of the US it may be a different story, however.

Uploading your own recordings (garage bands, karaoke, etc.) and distributing is not piracy either, but the MD makes no concession for this.

Guest Anonymous

As I stated, I may have been wrong about MD's being developed strictly for audiophile use. I should have qualified it as my opinion.

That said, it is easy to make a CDR on a computer, using MP3s. Perhaps I'm not an "audiophile" by a strict definition. But I don't want my mix CDs sounding like shit, and whenever I use MP3s, regardless of the bitrate I've used, the CDs sound like shit. Plus with an MD recorder, and a standalone CD recorder, I have more control over the sound level of the mix as a whole. The mix CDs/MDs I've made are of much better sound quality than if I were to use MP3s and my computer's CD burner to create them, in my opinion.

I wouldn't argue that MDs aren't becoming obsolete, and I've always felt that they would be the 8-tracks of the '90s, but I prefer to measure their obsolesence by how much I use them. To date, MP3's are not a good substitute for MDs for me.

As for arguing whether you want to rip MP3s to make a mix or do it in real time is really a matter of taste. For me, making the mix has always been half of the fun. My mixes take on a life of their own if I throw the songs together as I'm recording the disc manually, in real time. I like being able to "just wing it" and make a mix.

At this stage in the game, MDs are clearly the better choice for me, given my tastes as an "audiophile", or whatever term you choose to use to label me.

And when the MD is truly obsolete in your opinion, I'll be happy to take those extra blank MDs off your hands.

Guest Anonymous

sony could easly make the md take off if they: made pc drives, did away with smcs, did away with magicgate, and had md players that took aaas (and had no battery bumps).

mp3 is like the isa bus because: it sucks, there are better formats/busses, and they are (relatively) old.

• 1 month later...

I don't find MD to be too complicated, I personally find it just right. When I first got my mz-r70, I had no problem getting basic use out of it, but now that I've moved on to bigger and better things, I like the intricacy of it all. I'd hate it if the first thing I found out about my unit was the last thing I found out.

:oops:    ok so I caved in under all the pressure and bought a new blue sharp dr-7.  with the soundman stereo microphones ("pop" version), works great for recording my band's rehersals.  tongue.gif

These MD nay-sayers - once they've heard MiniDisc, they fold faster than Superman on washing day. biggrin.gif :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I don't find MD to be too complicated, I personally find it just right.

Who said MDs were complicated?? It's the UPLOAD capability (or lack thereof) that people are complaining about! SHEESH.

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I'm worry! The forum is too problems? :shock:

I have attend high school of the technical electronic. Now, I'm working.

I want to know MiniDisc that is new generation (after ATRAC3plus in the site from Sony), LED ray blue (furrow is thin like Blue Ray and AOD) or DSD 1 bit (like SACD), but Sony and Sharp aren't prepare or is forget the new generation MiniDisc? Also multi-channel and 192KHz for MiniDisc.

Advice new format MiniDisc large 8cm (is disc removable, like between DVD-Ram and MiniCD-R and MiniCD-RW) can to use between CD player (deck or caraudio, 8cm without cartridge) and MiniDisc deck or portables (8cm with cartridge). Memory Stick (Memory Stick Duo)/SD/MultiMedia/xD Picture can to use adaptor to MiniDisc in use computer MP3/AAC/WMA/ATRAC3plus. But SmartMedia and CompactFlash cannot to use because is too large.

Why not? Project is too expensive? :?

But Sony and Sharp have very sleep!

I'm writing and drawing the my document of the technical MiniDisc new generation. 8)

MiniDisc is the best in the world! biggrin.gif

Bye

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

Here: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/402/402220p1.h....html?fromint=1

New format media UMD 1.8GB measure of the diameter 60mm.

I'm reading wrong correct, excuse me because I'm italian:

Advice new format MiniDisc large 8cm (is disc removable, like between DVD-Ram and MiniCD-R and MiniCD-RW) can to use between CD MP3 player only (deck or caraudio, 8cm without cartridge) and MiniDisc (second generation only) deck or portables (8cm with cartridge).

But the format MiniDisc large 8cm with cartridge cannot to use deck or portables with old generation! MiniDisc large 8cm can to use MiniCD-R or MiniCD-RW normal that can to put in the cartridge removable and format recording MP3 only. The mechanic of the new generation MiniDisc (format normal 64mm and large 80mm) was very similar from the mechanic combi MiniDisc/CD of JVC and Sanyo audiocar.

Memory Stick (Memory Stick Duo)/SD/MultiMediaCard/xD Picture can to use adaptor to MiniDisc 64mm (second generation only) in use computer with files MP3/AAC/WMA/ATRAC3plus/ATRAC3 instead of the SmartMedia and CompactFlash cannot to use because are too large.

The old generation MiniDisc (whatever ATRAC version) either prerecorded or recorded (blank) can to use in the new generation MiniDisc (ray blue/red) player with NetMD, MDLP and Gruop function compatible.

MiniDisc is the best in the world! biggrin.gif

Bye

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who can tie their shoe laces can use an MD deck or portable.

Those that think MD recorders are complicated to use by an average person, here are some helpful tips/instructions on how to use them.

1. Load an MD disc into the recorder.

2. Press RECORD and PLAY buttons together to start recording.

3. Press the STOP button to stop the recording.

4. Press PLAY button to play your recording (you don't even have to REWIND!!!)

5. Press the STOP button to stop playback.

6 Press EJECT button to eject the disc from the unit.

WARNING: The above instructions might be a little too complicated ...for those who don't know how to tie their shoe laces.

I am a 10 year MD user and i've never stoped recording.Everywere i go i want to listen to the music.I don't like the sound of Mp3 because it sounds like there are bubbles coming out. Md's compression is great and clear.I can erase and re-write an Md many times without loosing the great sound of it.This is because the Md writes on the disk magnetically like cassette but without touching the magnetical surface, but only by touching the plastic surface of the disk. So you have the ability to write and write and write again without worrying for the quality of the songs if the are played many times.Now with LP2 and LP4 you have the ability to write up to 5 hours of music in a small disk.I think 5 hours of music in a small disk that fits in your pocket is enough.about 80 songs. Is there anybody that is going to listen over 80 songs in a row?I tested my Sony MZ-G750 with an AA-1800mAh battery in record mode and it's recording time was 12hours .And 1 last thing I have recorded 5 Concerts with my MD.Is there anything else so small able to record with a microphone a whole Concert?Ooo my md has an Fm-Am Radio.What else.....Let me think....Ha! Greece 2003

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to say I got an LG MP3 player for £75 around a year ago, and have since replaced it with an MZ-N10. I was an earlier adopter of MiniDisc, but wanted the "versatility" of an MP3 player. What rubbish! The sound quality of it was poor - it felt cheap to use and I didn't like the way I couldn't share music - MiniDisc is here to stay, Sony just had better make sure there are good enough reasons for newcomers to buy it.

Would you wait 2 minutes for your CD player to boot up?

No - neither would I...

MD too complicated?

What's LAME?

What's EAC?

What's --alt-preset standard (or whatever dashes are in there)

All these 3 are related to MP3 and CD ripping, if you don't know what are these then you don't deserve to use MP3s laugh.gif

I know what those are. They were rhetorical questions! biggrin.gif

I do this: EAC -> foobar2000 -> MD. Kinda hypocritical of me, but I don't have a CD deck.

Just found out the other day my soundcard has SCMS. Anyway to defeat it? It's a DS-XG yamaha 751 chipset. AND IT DOESN'T BLOODY WELL RECORD TRACK MARKS!

Guest Anonymous

I dunnow. It's easy to throw around jargon, but MP3 software makes it simple - it's merely a matter of running the software and having a CD in the drive, or downloading the music off Kazaa (which isn't all that hard). One can fool around with settings it gets more complicated, but you don't need to ever touch the settings.

MD was once more convenient. However, I think if you're using NetMD, it's now somewhat more confusing than MP3, because of the check-in/check-out system, and the places when it's OK to modify tracks, and places where it isn't, and the issue of using recording software to get the track back on the computer, are all issues that are unavoidable.

i'm what you'd consider a newer minidisc user. But i am not new to the cd burning world. I've found that minidisc way easier then doing cds. All i use cd's for is archiving. Anyway I use the nero+simpleburner method for downloading, for uploading i've used many methods, and i hav't settled on my fav yet. Oh yeah, bad news on kazaa, the RIAA (music industry), is trying to flood certain albums with junk music.

But anyway, i like my mz-n707, i like the hack for it too. I wish I had the mz-n10, but whatever.