Labeling expierence[Updated on Friday, March 7th](many .jpg)

Rate this topic

Christopher

NOTE: THIS HAS BECOME MY PERSONAL OUTLET TO SHARE MY MINIDISC LABEL EFFORTS. PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO SEE ALL WORK

-----------

After looking over numerous forums and websites related to custom labeling of minidisc, I decided that today would be the day that I try. I went down to Office Depot and picked up some Avery label paper, whipped up a few pictures in Paint Shop Pro, and voila':

user posted image

[the five images i made]

-----------

how they actually came out:

user posted image

[radiohead - pablo honey]

user posted image

[311 - from chaos]

user posted image

[mazzy star - so tonight that i might see]

user posted image

[jimi hendrix - voodoo child: the essential jimi hendrix collection]

user posted image

[radiohead - amnesiac]

I'm really satisified with what I've done, and I definitely suggest that you make graphic labels, if possible. It rocks!

later

k

That looks pretty cool!

The only problem with that is you essentially turned rewritable discs into permanent discs (unless you wouldn't care that you're trance mix is on a disc labelled From Chaos.) What I do instead is just take a Sharpie and put numbers on each disc. Disc 1 is my current mix, disc 2 is acoustic stuff, 3 is Tool, 4 is Swift, etc. However, if I was going to permanently label a disc's content, you've come up with a darn cool way to do it!

The only problem with that is you essentially turned rewritable discs into permanent discs

You're wrong, friend.

All I have to do is just take the label off and make a new one for it. Honestly, it doesn't take long to make the labels once you've got a hang of it.

Why would I want to delete the content on these discs anyways?

If I want to record more music, I just buy more minidiscs. 8)

peace

k

You can just peel your labels off and they don't leave a sticky residue or anything? My labels must suck. Perhaps I'm going to Office Depot tomorrow...

And as far as deleting a disk's content, good music is good music, but over time you might find you want to listen to another cd and might not have the money to go buy more disks. But that's all beside the point. Dude, your labels own.

You can just peel your labels off and they don't leave a sticky residue or anything?

Yes. I bought the standard 8 1/2" x 11" 25-sheet pack of Avery "White Full Sheet Labels" (product # 8165). Once I've printed the label sheet, it's a breeze to cut them out. The "stick" that the label paper has seems pretty solid as well, and should last a long time. There seems enough space on the paper to probably make ten labels. (10 labels per sheet x 25 pieces of label paper per pack = 250 labels)

I've got plenty of blanks to work with, and when I run out, I'll just buy some more. MD's really don't put much of a dent in my pocket.

Be sure to watch this thread, because I'll be posting tomorrow's (3/6/03) efforts as well.

smile.gif

k

[relevant information:]

Avery's page about the labels I use: http://avery.com/products/add_to_cart.jsp?...alog_code=WEB01

Behold, there is nothing new under the sun!

I was using this exact method to lable my MD's 6 years ago. After trying various different label's, I found the Avery full sheet and a pair of sissors or a guillotine paper cutter was the best. I used to get some raised eyebrows on planes with my professional color MD labels.

I used MS Powerpoint to create the template. That way it was easy to work with pictures and text as separate elements.

Considering that Sonicstage imports album art for the discs, wouldn't it be cool if a label maker was an option in Sonicstage?

Anyway, I stopped doing this. Now I just buy the white Sony ES blank discs and label them with a pencil. Quick and flexible, if not so pretty.

user posted image

[I'm sure most of you have noticed three seperate "Kid A" labels on this sheet. I couldn't choose so I just decided to make them all. smile.gif]

------------

How they actually came out:

user posted image

[Radiohead: I Might Be Wrong Live Recordings]

user posted image

[Dave Matthews Band: Live at Folsom Field]

user posted image

[Radiohead: The Bends]

user posted image

[A mix I made whilst on vacation at Siesta Key, Florida (excellent mix, and cover picture is actually from a siesta key beach, where i spent alot of time shell collecting)]

user posted image

[John Coltrane: A Love Supreme]

user posted image

[Dave Matthews Band: Under the Table and Dreaming + Before these Crowded Streets]

user posted image

[Radiohead - Kid A]

and finally (phew!)

user posted image

[Radiohead - OK Computer]

I was very satisfied this time around. Having more confidence in the process, things were extremely easy and I had everything done in less than a hour.

peace

k

Hey all,

Great MD labels!!!!!

I have been using the Mironics Minidisc Suite software to create my custom MD covers. The software imports a template to MS WORD to print out or to further customize. However, I am still not satisfied with the finished product.

Does anybody know of a shareware/freeware that formats and creates the MD Label for printouts. Or does anybody have a good template for creating custom MD Labels?????? Hook me up!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Ruben

Just a couple warnings about the Avery self-adhesive stock...

I've been labelling my MDs like this for a while, and it is pretty darn slick. Be careful leaving the labelled MDs in your car, however, as extreme temperatures/moisture will buckle the paper. A few of my MDs have some serious rippling going on. Also, make sure the edges and corners of your labels are stuck very firmly so they don't catch on the innards of your player.

Yeah, I suppose I do mistreat my MDs a little...but that's why I'm hooked on such a resiliant format!

If anybody's really bored, check out www.neato.com for info on their MediaFace software. It's clunky and frustrating, but they have some nice templates that work with almost all the over-the-counter label stock out there (CD/cassette/MD/VHS/DVD...), and I think the Neato company also offers some die-cut MD label sheets that work with their software.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmm .. I prefer labelling by hand though .. It's more fun (to me anyway) that way laugh.gif For actual albums, I usually draw the band logo and then album name, if it's a mix I'll put a pretty drawing on it like so :

user posted image

The black looks kinda washed out becuase i scanned it, it actually looks a lot blacker and bolder when seen in person. And it's a FujiFilm label it doesn't fill the whle 'label groove' provided :x The picture was from an old 1994 cartoon "SWAT Kats : The Radical Squadron" --hehheh.

Printer paper and glue?!!!!!!!!! Dude, you'd be better off just writing directly on the discs with a sharpie. I actually do that, I just number the discs and remember which discs have what on them. I suppose that wouldn't work if you have like 50 MD's though...

I'm thinking of getting pre-preferated MD labels from MiniDisc Access, anyone have experience with these? They're kinda costly at $8 per 24-pack -- and doesn't Avery give you like 50 sheets for $12? I don't mind cutting, If I go Avery I'd like to have something that could print the "Cut here" stuff.

http://www.minidiscaccess.com/item.html?PRID=133385

I couldn't help myself...I went out and bought some label sheets.

I made the template in my HP printing software. It works pretty well, you just plug the images in and tell it to use the template. It gives you print previews too so you can make adjustments to how the image will print on the label.

I'll be posting a pic of my labels when I get ahold of a digital camera. They aren't nearly as impressive as Kurisu's (mostly because my discs are ugly to begin with,) but what the hell, it's better than writing the title on the disc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I created these one night for my personal collection, maybe soon I'll work on a domain for covers since that seems to lack. At such point it'd be really cool if ppl help out and u/l ... Ill work on all this probly around the first of the month or so.

www.mdcovers.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ascariss

That looks pretty cool!

The only problem with that is you essentially turned rewritable discs into permanent discs (unless you wouldn't care that you're trance mix is on a disc labelled From Chaos.)  What I do instead is just take a Sharpie and put numbers on each disc.  Disc 1 is my current mix, disc 2 is acoustic stuff, 3 is Tool, 4 is Swift, etc.  However, if I was going to permanently label a disc's content, you've come up with a darn cool way to do it!

So once you stick on such a label, you can't record on it, until you remove the label? why would this occur? :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...