battery charging, which is better?

Rate this topic

Personally, I use an external charger - a Varta Trio charger. I can charge up to 4 batteries at a go, so never run out of juice (helpful on busy mornings to avoid missing that train). I can use higher capacity NiMHs (2000mAh). OK, they'll probably charge in the N707, but I don't want to take the chance.

Saves wear and tear on my N707 DC input. OK, scraping the barrel here...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I just got a MZN-10, so far so good. Question about charging the battery - if I leave the unit sitting in the cradle (which charges the battery among other things) past the time it gets to full charge, am I potentially damaging the battery? I've owned other electronic equipment in the past that you could not leave hooked up to the charger once you reached full charge. With "smart" chargers this was no problem, the charger unit simply shut itself off when finished. This is an issue because I like to just leave the unit in the cradle whenever I'm not using it (which might be days sometimes). Any info would be appreciated, thanks, d.

Check your manual--if there are no warnings, I'd say it's safe to leave it plugged in as long as you like. I've left my R900 plugged in for weeks with no battery leakage or deterioration, but that's me. In general, I'd say it's perfectly safe, but there will always be those few bad batteries out there.

Guest Anonymous

I own an MZN-10. I am living in the UK, but got my unit from Japan. Installed the Open MG English version, everything works fine. But I haven't been using the unit for quite some times now. I left it on the craddle while it was connected to the power source for a month or two. A few days ago, I wanted to use it. It showed battery low. So I put it back to the craddle to charge it. After charging it, it again said low battery... it seems that the battery is alomost completely dried out. I repeatedly charging it for a few times, the result was the same. I wonder why. I hope I didn't damage the internal battery by leaving it on the craddle with power plugged to the craddle for a long period of time. If the battery is damaged, how can i get a replacement?

yeanus.

e-mail add: yeanus@onetel.net.uk

I can only think of a few reasons:

1 - is your power converter faulty? If you got a unit from Japan, it's designed for, what, 100 volts or something? And if you're using it in the UK, you're going to need that converter--it may not be functioning properly, and it could have fried the battery.

2 - is the battery itself faulty? Sometimes they just don't hold up--with that many batteries being manufactured for the world's rampant consumerism, there will be a few duds out there.

3 - ummm....it's late, and I forgot number three.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think the power converter is faulty, because it worked before and it was ok. I have the unit for about a year now, got it last September. I use a normal 4.5 to 12 volt adaptor. There wasn't any problem at all...

I don't know if the battery is faulty... how can I know that? If it is faulty... what can I do?

thanks for the feedback BJ.

yean.

yeanus@onetel.net.uk

Hm. Buddy up with someone who has a voltmeter or voltometer or whatever those things are called. Something you can use to test the power output of electrical devices.

Charge up the battery and test its output--if it's much lower than advertised, it's not holding a full charge. If possible, get a completely different charger (adapter, etc) and charge it that way, then check the results. If the battery is damaged, it just won't hold a charge, no matter how you charge it.

Also, if you have the voltthingy, try testing the output of your adapter & converter to make sure its output isn't too high or too low for the unit. After a year, it's certainly possible something has failed in the adapter, converter or battery.

If you're feeling flush, see if you can dig up another battery (like at Minidisco.com or on eBay) or find one of Duracell's flat-sided alkalines to use in the meantime. I'm guessing at the type of battery the N-10 uses, since I've never had the chance to play with one.