cant record!!!!!!

Rate this topic

naz.miah

Hello there...im new to this forum so im not sure if i should be posting this here.

Anyway, i have a sony personal Md rec/player, the MZ-R900. Its been recording fine since ive had it for about a year or two now. However, yesterday I wanted to record some stuff (not copyrighted) but....NOTHING!!! The sound plays through the earphones just fine when its recording, but on playback its all blank..although the head can be heard trying to pick up something. Ive used both optical and analogue cables but i still get a blank recording.

Not only that, when i try delete the blank track, it DELETES the WHOLE disc!!! Today i used an MD cleaner hoping it'd sort out the problem, but the damn thing is being a bitch.

Any help/suggestions/whatever would be very much appreciated.

Thanx all

Guest Anonymous

Unfortunately, sounds like the laser on the overwrite head is ready to pack up (or has been misaligned), check out this thread for further info.

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1623

Your not alone, I've been checking this forum out for a few months now and find this is a common problem with Sony portable recorders, the exact same thing happened to an MZ-R90 I was using :-((

Thanx..I had a feelin it'd be a techinical problem. Now i gotta stump up the cash and get it fixed

..OR...

would you know if there will be a problem with the head IF i use my MD just for playback, and use a proper MD deck just for recording etc???? I mean, the laser head wont pack up for good would it????

Guest Anonymous

No, no problem at all, thats currently what I do (and have been for the last 6 months since the recording head stuffed up). You should even be able to use the dodgy recorder for titling and disc edits, I can.

You should keep using the dodgy recorder for playback for as long as you can, there is no point in not using it really.

It has been recommended by an experienced MD repairer that a home deck be used for recording, and to use portables for playback only, if possible, but I found myself a cheap second hand portable recorder, and have been using this successfully for the last 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Well, the point I made about using the dodgy recorder for titling and disc edits should be taken with caution. Today, I trashed the first disk via titling from the dodgy recorder :cry: . After the TOC had written, the disk was reported as blank and hasn't recovered since. It did work for around 6 months though.

Broady Boy.

Guest Anonymous

sounds like I've had the same problem.. just tried to record something last night with my MZ-R700. sound came through the speakers (at home I hook it up to some computer speakers) while recording, but non of the tracks had any sound when I tried to play them back. tried it again for a couple minutes with a different disc and there were a few blips of sound at first, then nothing. I took the disc out after the TOC edit and when I put it back in it said disc error. same thing happened with the first disc, which already had a bunch of stuff on it

• 2 weeks later...

All you people having problems with your portables not recording... might have a problem with your recorders' "over-write" electro-magnetic head losing contact with the top of the disc when recording. The over-write head must contact the top of the disc while a laser gun heats the disc's recording layer from below. I had a similar problem with my home deck, Sony MDS-JE320 and it was caused by the problem I described above. I fixed it by making an adjustment to the over-write head assembly. Your recorders are portables so I'm not sure that the same thing would apply, but it's just a suggestion that you might want to look into. biggrin.gif

The magnetic head must contact the disc? I'm not so sure about that, since MD uses a non-contact recording mechanism...:?:

I have the same problem with my recorder, and the problem lies in the fact the magnetic head is out of alignment.

Well, the Magentic Head itself is "floating" above the disc, but there is physical contact between a nylon or plastic tab of the Magnetic head assembly and the top of the disc surface. This contact keeps the Floating Magnetic Head at the correct distance from the disc surface even if the disc happens to wobble a little bit when spinning.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/odfaq.htm#odmdrwp

http://www.minidisc.org/disk_technology.html#partC