bring back old school...

Rate this topic

yamagatacamille

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i know you can record SP w/ sonicstage, i meant that a new model w/ new software that can possibly record true SP (which is highly unlikely), not SP with LP2 quality

I think what you're after is true SP mode recording with SonicStage. As far as I know, this is unlikely to happen given that Sony is pushing their ATRAC3 audio format pretty hardcore as the underlying codec for the NetMD format.

I definitely agree with you that ATRAC1 Type-R recording in NetMD would be very well received.

I am not a Sony techie, but it might be possible to record in true SP mode using custom software, since the MD unit itself records in SP mode whenever you specify SP mode for output (it goes ATRAC3 "LP2" in the OMG file :arrow: uncompressed and sent to the recorder :arrow: recorded in ATRAC1 "SP" by the MD unit - not very efficient, Sony! :x).

• 8 months later...

I'd *love* to see a second-generation MZ-R50 with all the bells and whistles, plus longer battery life but still having those fast access times. MDLP would be an option, I suppose. But, and it's a big but, this machine would cost $500 or more USD and most are not willing to pay for such a luxurious and tank-like MD unit.

If you want to be part of 'old-school,' you have to be an eBay regular and look for such goodies.