types of discs

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

i just bought a new Sony MZ N-1 and now im looking for discs.

I noticed that there are alot of discs with different 'quality'. does one disc actually differ from the other. like a gold edition whatever for 2.50 a disc or just a regular disc for $1????

also, if the 74 minute discs can hold 5 hours, what about the 80 minute discs???

Thanks.

The only difference will be the build quality of the plastic shell - sound quality is the same across all discs.

By all means try the cheap ones, if they don't work you haven't lost much and if they do work (which they certainly should) you have scored a bargain.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The dye could vary from disc to disc.

It wouldn't affect audio quality, but such a thing affects the lifespa of the disc and the chances of a bad burn (which generally just doesn't happen at all with minidisc)

I've only had trouble with Hi-Space discs (shoddy construction; some data loss) and two Memorex (vibration noise, bad UTOC sectors). Some of my players are more picky than others (my JVC had the most trouble with Memorex for some reason).

You can't go wrong with Sony and Denon, TDK and Axia are very good, Maxell, Fuji and Memorex are certainly useable.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I just noticed that BJ had trouble with Memorex discs in a JVC player.

That's just as likely the JVC's fault as the discs'! In my household we have two JVC CD changers and they both have a lot of trouble playing certain factory pressed (I mean store bought) audio-CD's.

JVC is crap.