Can I play netMDs on my MZ-R55 MDwalkman?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Have a simple question on NetMD.

If I borrow NetMD recorder from a friend,

and record MDs through USB from mp3s in PC,

can I play this NetMD using my traditional

MD walkman MZ-R55?

Or I can only play it using NetMD player?

i.e. is NetMD compatible with traditional

MD players?

thanks

This should be no problem at all!

In the end, a "netMD" is written in exactly the same way as, say, an analog recorded one.

This leads to another question though;

Another tread (http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=net+edit), sais that tracks recorded via netMD-

software can't be edited. Is this also true when you put that same MD into a non-netmd unit?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your prompt response.

I bought my MZ-R55 back in early 1999 in

Japan.

But since mp3 became norm, I had not

used my MD for while :?

I thought MD's declared dead in US until

netMD's out again.

But all the new MD formats just overwhelmed me

since I haven't kept track of MDs for long while :shock:

I have both MD walkman and MD deck in my car.

So I'd still want to keep using MD.

Guess I need to buy a cheap netMD recorder first

to do that, since my traditional MD recorder/walkman

can only record through optical cable from CDs/VCDs.

But I assume I can ONLY record in normal SP? mode

to be able to play in my NON-netMD MD walkman.

Guest Anonymous

Rather than transferring the MP3's thru NetMD to SP (which will actually transfer in LP2 and transcode to SP at a loss in quality), it would be better for you to burn temporary CD's from the MP3's, and use the optical out on a stereo to transfer to your old unit.

Believe me, NetMD "SP" is crap.

Believe me, NetMD "SP" is crap.

yup v true...this is cos as u said NetMD can't transfer SP or encode them as "true" SP tracks...rather just a higher bitrate LP2 track and then sends the info 2 the recorder to label the track as an SP track when it really is not...

Guest Anonymous

yeah, i have discovered (even thouugh no-one answered my last reply) that netMD isn't all it is cracked up to be (assumed to be), could be.

Because it compresses (e.g.) an mp3 (a lossy, compressed format) into LP2 another compressed, lossy format, it basically reduces audio quality too much (UN-NECESSARILY).

Basically i doubt i will use netMD for anything other that titling tracks, i will use the digital-out of my computer to record (who cares if it's real time), at least i know that there isn't any un-necessary reduction in quality.

But i don't know why everyone is so crazy about mp3's, they are clay (digital turd) fake copies of the original pieces. The compression is up to 12 to 1, and the audio content is altered to make is SEEM like it's better quality than it is. Most modern music recieves alot of careful attention by professional Sound Engineers, that spend serious time and expensive equipment to get everything balanced just right, not so that a bunch of cloth ears can dumbly walk around deluded into thinking that there LP2 copy of their 128Kbps MP3 is "Really good quality actually". * It is sacrilage to modern music * If people BUY CD's then they can make acceptable SP minidiscs (5:1 , but a very clever compression) and save the technology from conceding to the devils spawn MP3 and the casual-pirate satisfying, 10Gb jukeboxes etc (since when can a kid afford to have GigaBytes of 128Kbps mp3 anyway, with each CD at 10-15 UK pounds)

rant over

All i care about now is geting ATRAC-type S, a mic input, and an optical input.

Getting back on topic...MAJOR PROBLEM WITH NETMD is that it essentially can't make SP quality recordings, and since an MZ-R55 can't read LP2 or LP4 audio, a disc made using NetMD is NOT compatible with an R55.

not quite true.

NetMD has a 'fake' SP option, which encodes LP2 as a SP track so older SP only units can read it. The quality of the track will be LP2, but it'll read as SP by the player.

This fake SP option is not available in Simple Burner, however.

Guest Anonymous

Ructer, you came down pretty hard on MP3 there! MP3 and ATRAC are very similar - they both use psychoacoustic masking and huffman coding to compress music. The difference is just the implementation.

And HDD-based jukebox units aren't evil piracy tools. It's not a ridiculous concept for someone to put legal music on it. If I wanted to put all my store-bought CD's on an iPod at an acceptable quality, then I would be forced to get something bigger than the original model.

(150 CD's × 70min/CD × 60s/min × 192kbps ÷ 8kB/kb = 14½GB)

However, iPods break down as often as N10 netmd recorders, if not more, so they're evil in that sense.