MD Newbie: Microphones and Remotes etc.

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi there,

Hope I'm not stepping out of line with too many newbie questions...

I'm finally going to get a portable music player and I'd always planned to get an MP3 player but having researched MD it seems far more flexible (cheaper media, reorganising tracks, etc.).

1. Anyway, I'm looking at the MZ-N510 / 710. Neither have mic inputs so does this mean there is no way of making live recordings? Can you buy mics that are themseleves amplified and plugged into the line in on the MD? If so how much do thye cost (£) and where from?

2. Secondly, neither have backlit remotes; so is it possible to obtain a back lit remote which is still compatible with the MD player (especially with the 510 which has no LCD display at all on the supplied remote). Where can I get these (if available!).

3. And also a few last questions... I read NetMD cannot transfer songs that are better than LP2 quality, so does it make more sense to transfer direct from CD by digital optical cable?

4. And also is LP4 useable for listening to music? What about LP2? How do they compare to 128k MP3?

Many thanks for any help,

Chris Paton

Hi there,  

Hope I'm not stepping out of line with too many newbie questions...  

I'm finally going to get a portable music player and I'd always planned to get an MP3 player but having researched MD it seems far more flexible (cheaper media, reorganising tracks, etc.).  

1. Anyway, I'm looking at the MZ-N510 / 710. Neither have mic inputs so does this mean there is no way of making live recordings? Can you buy mics that are themseleves amplified and plugged into the line in on the MD? If so how much do thye cost (£) and where from?

actually the N710 does have a Mic Input so you don't have to buy a powered mic to be able to record to the unit...so any unpowered mic will be able to work on this model...

2. Secondly, neither have backlit remotes; so is it possible to obtain a back lit remote which is still compatible with the MD player (especially with the 510 which has no LCD display at all on the supplied remote). Where can I get these (if available!).

well yes you can buy backlit remotes for both units...the part # is RM-MC35ELK or RM-MC33EL for these remotes i think...both are backlit and the former is the one's that are shipped out with japanese units and can display kanji whereas the latter is shipped with australian and (i think) european models of the MZ-N10/910...you can buy them from most internet sites i would imagine...but since i'm not too familiar with the internet sites outside of australia i could point you to the one that i normally suggest ppl go to if u live in Australia and that is Minidisc Australia since they stock up on them...

]3. And also a few last questions... I read NetMD cannot transfer songs that are better than LP2 quality, so does it make more sense to transfer direct from CD by digital optical cable?

well if you want the quality then yes this is your best bet...i usually just use LP2 most of the time but when recording for friends who don't have MDLP units then Optic -> MD from a CD Player is the way to go...

4. And also is LP4 useable for listening to music? What about LP2? How do they compare to 128k MP3?

well it is indeed "useable" but i wouldn't recommend you use it much since the quality is quite bad...bit rate wise it is around about 96kbps...tho it is good for recording lectures and such...but otherwise not much else unless you don't mind the decline in quality and need to cram heaps of music onto one MD...

hope this helps.... tongue.gif

Since you didn't specify your home country I'm only guessing that you are from UK. www.avland.co.uk have what you need, the SONY ECM-719 Stereo Microphone (£60) have both internal battery and plug in power. It's a great mic I'm told.

SP vs LP: SP are super, LP2 like mp3 in 192kbit and LP4 like mp3 in 112kbit. Atleast acording to my hearing. I use LP4 more and more, the extra space and longer battery life makes it worth it.

Guest Anonymous

Many thanks for replies so far! I think I'm pretty happy about it all now except for the Net MD side of things...

I've been reading that sometimes the Sonic stage software has 'problems' with some MP3 files. How have you lot found it? Will it cope with the licensed WMA files you get from online music services?

Also I was wondering what happens if your computer screws up and you have to reformat your hard drive while some songs are checked out: can you delete the songs from the MD without checking in, and moreover do you lose a check out license or is it restored to 3?

And finally how long does conversion to ATRAC take on your system?

Many thanks for your patience!

Chris Paton

I have never used OpenMG or Sonic, I use SimpleBurner with M3U2Sburner. Time to convert depends upon source, from mp3 to complete MD disc is about 15 minutes for a normal album (74min). If I convert from CD Audio SimpleBurner don't have to bounce to wave first so that's about 50% quicker.

What I read you can erase a NetMD disc with an old MD unit, one that don't have MDLP.