can't record emi cd to md because of copy protection...HELP!

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

just bought new kylie cd, but can't record digitally because of emi copy protection

Well, punishment is necessary for supporting copy protection.

But then, Kylie's music is a punishment in itself...

Ok, artistical quality aside, major label pop music is already compressed and normalized, so the sound quality is well below of that of a decent cd-player, so use analog instead. Trust me, you won't hear the difference.

1- in the future check and make sure a cd is not protected before you by it. too late now, but copyprotected cds are evil. :evil:

2- some copy protected CD's let you burn the CD a number of times (usually 3), try this and then transfer from the burned copy.

3- also i dont know if this CD uses that tech but one of the techs used to copy right CD's in the USA, you can override by holding down the "shift" key when you insert the CD. <<< your best bet!!!! :!:

4- kazaa :oops:

5- see if real player will let you transfer the music. :idea:

6- POLITICAL ACTION, send it back to maker saying you cant listen to it on your minidisc. :shock:

sorry thats the best i can offer i know its not much but yout best bet is the shift method.

Guest Anonymous

I've had experience with EMI copy protection already and it was no problem to defeat. It was Radiohead's latest album "Hail To The Thief."

The trick is to use a program called Exact Audio Copy, and tell it to Reconstruct or Manually Detect the TOC (the Reconstruct option is only available in slightly older versions, I believe, because the author of the program feared legal action against him for having an option that would facilitate "piracy").

I also recommend going into the Configuration of EAC and setting the speed down to 4×, because some drives will insert a split-second of silence somewhere in the tracks if you rip at too high a speed.

I recently encountered a CD that Sonicstage wouldn't enter into the musicbank database because of copy protection. I made a copy of it to a virtual CD using NERO imagedrive. Before burning the image, I could deselect the copyright protection for each track (it shows up as a squiggly icon in the list, just click it) and the image loaded into Sonicstage perfectly. CDDB even recognized it and gave it track titles. Then I just deleted the image. Done.

Guest Anonymous

That "copyright protection" is something else entirely. I think it's a very old standard, where a certain bit is set which makes the tracks impossible for a standalone (as in, a stereo-component) CD-burner to copy.

In fact, it's two bits.

The first one denotes, if the material is copyrighted, the second one denotes first or second generation.

Every digital recorder, including CD & MD stores these.

On all copyprotected CDs, both bits are set, normal CDs only have the first one set, thus allowing one generation of digital copying.

And that's the reason, why Kylie won't sing onto an MD via the internal link of jernikfra's bookshelf system...

Nice sideeffect, if the first bit is reset, unlimited copying is possible.

And the squiggly icon in Nero is the first bit. clicking these away allows unlimited copying again.

Hmm, I'm only wondering, how Hi-MD will treat these...