Minidisc Help!

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello! I've enjoyed reading all of the posts here. I sounds like this is the place to ask my questions.

I currently don't own a Minidisc unit but am in the market for one. What I need it to do is record speaking sessions at conferences and tradeshows. I have a 12 channel EV mixer with mic level outputs. I would like something that has a mic input but I could live with a line input. I would like it to record digitally and then transfer that to my computer to burn CDs from. Here are my questions about some various models.

N510 - Doesn't have a mic input which is a little problem for me. My questions are can you upload to the computer with this and what outputs does this have?

N707 - Has a mic input. Can you upload to the computer with this and what outputs does this have?

NF810 - Has a mic input. Can you upload to the computer with this and what outputs does this have?

I have not looked at any other companies because around me, Iowa, there is only Sony.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Thanks

Hi Stephen! All the units you mentioned have only one output: the headphone jack. Also, none of them "upload" to the computer exactly--you have to do it all in realtime: press play on the MD and record on your computer.

If you can wait until April, Sony will be releasing the Hi-MD machines that will upload mic/line recordings. Check around the forum for what folks have been saying, or look in minidisc.org's equipment browser for some more information.

I'm very happy with my N707, so I'd recommend that. The LR6 "AA" battery lasts almost forever and it's a tough little machine. The only thing the N1 has over the N707 that might interest you is its ability to adjust the microphone sensitivity. I haven't had a problem with the 707's mic sensitivity, but if you're looking for more recording options, that might be a consideration. Of course, the 707 is cheaper, so there is that as well. biggrin.gif

Once you get the recording, it's a realtime, analogue transfer from the headphone jack to your sound card, no matter which machine you get.

Good luck!