Clipping Fix?

Rate this topic

crombie

Hm. I don't know if there's a way to fix it. You may be able to find a filter that will round off the sound at the high end...I dunno. Maybe something designed to kill the pops in a vinyl recording? It'll still sound weird, but maybe not as jarring.

• 1 month later...

Some audio software packages - e.g. Soundforge or Cool Edit - do have clipping restoration options. Maybe there are stand-alone softwares as well - try some net search with keywords "clipping restoration". They try to figure out the clipped part by extrapolating sine waves. It is sure that you have to fiddle around a lot to get good results.

(Once I tried such thing with Cool Edit on a downloaded file. It was some jazz-rock type music with electric piano, clipped due to bad transfer probably. It turned out even after lots experimenting that the piano tones "rang out" of the music as clear, loud sine tones. So finally I decided to left it as it was.)