Type R Function

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Type-R / Type-S denotes the latest incarnations of the ATRAC codec used in conventional MD-Recorders.

It simply means, that your new Hi-MD unit will play back all recordings that you made with existing equipment.

This is not a very good answer to your question. One of them is a newer version of sony's music compression system. One works better with MDLP, sorry I can't give you more info but i am new at this also.

If you want more info you can find it at. www.minidisc.org. There is also a forum at this site called T-STATION where you will also get a better ans to your question.

Hope this helps you.

Take care.

Guest Anonymous

I know I won't be using MDLP. But I have still trying to fig. out if I should use the uncompress PCM mode at 1.4 Mbps sampling rate or the next one down, approx. 5 times less sampling rate but w/ 8 hr. of recording.

Well, I suspect, that Hi-SP will have atleast the same Quality as SP on a classic MD.

Going out on that assumption, HI-SP will be fully sufficient, unless you decide to create a Master-disk for commercial CD-Production.

Tried a (non-scientific) listening test between my MDS-JE500 and 2 different CD-Players and the result was, that the difference between Original and MD-Copy was smaller than the difference between the two CD-Players...

And Hi-SP should have the same quality as the latest Atrac-R codec, as lower quality wouldn't make much sense...

That should give you a first impression, what to expect.

But we only know for sure, when the first Hi-MD-recorders end up in users hands.

Actually, Type S is a decoder, not an encoder. It improves playback quality of MDLP recorded tracks, and has no effect on recording (encoding) quality. ATRAC3 is still used (as it always has been) for MDLP on Sony machines. Type R is still the best encoder for SP mode recordings - every MD unit ever made will play back Type R recordings, and benefit from its (relatively) superior encoding.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I suspect, that Hi-SP will have atleast the same Quality as SP on a classic MD.

Going out on that assumption, HI-SP will be fully sufficient, unless you decide to create a Master-disk for commercial CD-Production.

Tried a (non-scientific) listening test between my MDS-JE500 and 2 different CD-Players and the result was, that the difference between Original and MD-Copy was smaller than the difference between the two CD-Players...

And Hi-SP should have the same quality as the latest Atrac-R codec, as lower quality wouldn't make much sense...

That should give you a first impression, what to expect.  

But we only know for sure, when the first Hi-MD-recorders end up in users hands.

but it highly depends on which CD you use to test. I would say CD with low freq. music is the best one to find out the difference.

No, it's best to test thoroughly.

And in any case it's usually the high frequencies (>12kHz) that encoders have trouble with.

That's true.

However, the source material must be good in quality itself.

Did the test with classical music (the local Library in my town has a wide choice to rent... ) and Jazz (Thom Rhotella / Without Words and Marcus Miller / M2).

Especially the razor sharp bass riffs on 'M2' are quite a challenge for the encoder.

• 4 weeks later...

yup the Type S is an enhanced Type R...like i said in my previous post "Type R is just for recording SP tracks and Type S uses Type R for recording but also uses the newer DSP to decode LP tracks"...and yes they're compatible with each other as they're still recording in the same ATRAC formats as each other...