Tips before I ship 'er off for repairs?

Rate this topic

Shepherd

The headphone jack on my MZ-R900 (bought in March '02) started to crap out last week. At first it was sensitive to which way the headphone jack was turned but worked OK with the remote; now it only plays in the left ear. You can make contact with the right ear by pulling the headphone jack partway out, and I know it's not the 'phones.

Fortunately, I shelled out for a four-year warranty on the melonfarmer, so I'm just gonna ship it back to the repair depot next week. I figure there's just a bit of loose solder in there somewhere and hopefully a Sony tech will be able to crack 'er open and put it back in place.

Any tips before I send it, though? Should I be sending this registered mail or something? Will a complicated description of the problem expedite things, or should I just let them ramble through and fix it (and maybe other problems they find) themselves?

I'm a little weirded out because an MD died up on me two days before the headphone jack went crazy (it would just spin and thunk in the drive without playing or being accessibel), but I expect it's unrelated.

- Matt Shepherd

Add a description with explains the fault in simple words, that should do it.

For sending it, registered mail is a good idea, adding shipping insurance is a good idea as well.

Insurance should cover new price.

And finally, address of sender and receiver should be included inside the packet as well, in case the sticker on the outside gets lost.

Well...

I have stickers with my address on the MD itself. It's in the original packaging, with the Sony Factory Service address and my address on it. Then it's in two layers of brown paper sealed with duct tape with the Sony address and return address on the front, on the paper itself in marker, and as labels stuck to the back of the package as well.

I've enclosed a photocopy of the receipt and a letter explaining the problem both inside the packaging, outside the original box, and a second copy of both inside the original box.

I'm going to send it registered mail insured for full original (replacement) cost.

A little redundancy never hurts...

...now it's just a matter of seeing how fast Sony gets around to fixing it, and how good a job they do...

- Matt

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend just called, and it's back home with a note that says "replaced faulty phone jack, functional test passed" with a signature.

Elapsed time: eleven days since sending.

Assuming everything was put back in the box AND it really is working right, that's pretty impressive for a warranty repair job.

- Matt

About a three-hour drive, I guess, but I'm in a midsize city and the repair centre is in (more or less) Montreal, so I imagine the postal arteries are pretty robust.

And yeah, it was a very simple problem that I'd diagnosed (more or less) before it arrived at the depot.

Now if I can just find somebody who can fix my R37...

- Matt

Sweet! Hey, are there any good repair places in MTL? I've got an old R37 that blanks any disc you try to record on with it. It's bizarre. You can put in any disc you want, try to record, it'll record away then give you a TOC error and blank the disc.

Bought it off a jerk in Toronto who said it worked, made me pay COD for it and refused to reimburse me after it arrived DOA.

- Matt