800 vs the 900

Rate this topic

The_Stamp

Is the extra $50 and absence of a radio worth it (from 800 to n1)  

1. 1. Is the extra $50 and absence of a radio worth it (from 800 to n1)

• No
    • Yes

this thread is to question whether it is worth it to spend the extra 50 bucks and get a digital amp on the 900, yet sacrificing the am/fm/weather/tv radio from the 800. to me, i would definetly go for the 800 because of that radio. im assumin that the 700 will be about $225. so, im paying 75 dollars for the digital amp (plus a better remote, no matter to me), or i could pay just $25 dollars and instead get a radio. as i browse these forums, i notice that hardly anyone is getting the 800, and im starting to think "what is wrong with the 800?" is there some quality sacrifice? i currently own a 510, and im completely fine with the quality im getting from that. so, i guess the real question here is, is the quality between the 510 and 610 different? (since the 610 has a radio). (btw, in canada, the price difference between the 510 and 610 is outrageous, like 75 dollars, its stupid.)

im beginning to think that the digital amp may not be worth the extra 50 dollars (from the 800), on top of sacrificing the radio (theoriticall $75). My two cents. Anyone have comments?

all prices american

EDIT: changed the n1's to 900's

I think the digital amp is worth the extra money, and I would assume you might have the same train of thought once you heard one yourself.

Let me make sure that you're fully informed, the MSRP of the NH1 is $400, whereas the NHF800 is $250. The NH1 is has a magnesium body, opposed to the NHF800 having plastic construction. The NH1 also features a 3-line remote, and the NHF800 has just one. The batteries are different: NH1 with a LIP-4WM lithion-ion battery; the NHF800 features a Rechargeable NiMH AA. The charging cradles are also very different between the two units - the NH1 comes with one that has the USB port on the cradle [as well as the unit itself] and functions as a charger as well, whereas the NHF800 just comes with a basic charging cradle. The NH1 also has date/time stamping and digital pitch control [allows playback speed change without pitch change].

I think it's worth the extra money. They're two completely different units astethically.

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NH1.html

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NHF800.html

p.s. I've heard that the radio remote doesn't have that strong of a reception. I can't fully confirm that the radio preforms well, but you have to consider the formfactor..maybe you should post in a relevant forum about radio reception on these remotes and see what people have to say.

DOesn't matter whether it is the 800 or 900. Definitely go w/ N1. The battery makes a big difference, and I can't stand the 1 line display FONTS, they are too thin, I can't read it, and I really like the Back LIght . So definitely N1 for me. I don't use the radio anyway, but you should know you can't tape the songs from radio to your MD.

I'd lean more toward the NH900 myself. Slightly more traditional styling, and the black model looks appealing to me. Don't need the radio (of the 800) as I have a small protable digital radio that would doubtless be better. Of course the NH1 is sleeker, and more robust being full metal-bodied, but replaceable gumsticks/AA suit me better than Li-Ion.

Given that the NH900 has almost all of the most important features of the NH1, and is $100 cheaper, I'd say that would be the "high-end" Hi-MD to go for, and perhaps wait for a later generation Nh1 equivalent.

ok, to clear things up, i was comparing the 800 against the 900.

I changed the title and first post to reflect this, but i can't fix the poll unsure.gif

p.s. I've heard that the radio remote doesn't have that strong of a reception. I can't fully confirm that the radio preforms well, but you have to consider the formfactor..maybe you should post in a relevant forum about radio reception on these remotes and see what people have to say.

Will do, thx a lot! i never factored that in!

If the N1 had a battery pod for an AA cell then I would be spending the extra on that. As it stands I will probably go for the 900 as I can attach an external cell if it runs flat.

I suppose I am biased as I already own the MZ-900 but can only just read the writing on, it has seen that much use

I say, it is worth it. But for another reason:

Since it takes some time until home decks are available and therefore the line-mode is important as it's the only way to get a linear frequency response.

I've had a R500 and even with Bass = off, it had still the low range amplified. And to make sure, that a simple correction with an equalizer doesn't work, that one was level-dependend as well...

So, I go for the 900. The N1 is out of the question, as I want a full set of controls on the main unit.

After looking at the pic of the 800 (for the billionth time), im starting to think the the entire AM/FM radio chipset is in the remote! Like, after looking at the other models, them having small and sleek remotes, along comes the 800, having a massive remote!! perhaps i could plug that remote into any sony walkman, and give that player radio capability. Like, geez man! looks like a freaking "Action" pen, with a gizmo in it.

If the N1 had a battery pod for an AA cell then I would be spending the extra on that. As it stands I will probably go for the 900 as I can attach an external cell if it runs flat.

I suppose I am biased as I already own the MZ-900 but can only just read the writing on, it has seen that much use

but clearly the reason they have no AA attachment is because the time it takes to charge the NiMH + AA rechargeable = charging time of the Li Ion. And most likely the duration of the battery as well

NiMH+AA=Li-Ion

so why not just charge up the Li-Ion when done? After all, NiMH has too much memory effect

After looking at the pic of the 800 (for the billionth time), im starting to think the the entire AM/FM radio chipset is in the remote! Like, after looking at the other models, them having small and sleek remotes, along comes the 800, having a massive remote!!  perhaps i could plug that remote into any sony walkman, and give that player radio capability. Like, geez man! looks like a freaking "Action" pen, with a gizmo in it.

Wow see that would be awesome. I myself have been pondering this question too, 800 or 900....the 800 has a radio but no digital amp(ive never heard digitial amp so if anyone could tell me if theres a big diffrence it would be apreciated). the 800 looks so cluttered in design while the 900 is clean and simple. Im not really feeling the blue tint in the 800 that ive seen so if anyone could tell me how it really looks thx.

On a sidenote could anyone tell me whats up with this copyright issue stuff? Could i upload my mp3 collection to the MD or do i have to rencode all of it or something. I dont know all the exact detials with the coprright stuff but if anyone could help thx.