Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread?

Rate this topic

Christopher

Not to be pretentious, but I know alot of Hi-MD. I also notice that in threads people will come in and ask questions about Hi-MD in a thread that is talking about such, but not what's related to the actual topic.

So, as a Hi-MD guru, I will entertain all one-liners here! Feel free to ask me anything.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the MD dosent play mp3 files itself?

Could you give a brief explantion of the copyright issues ive been hearing?Will i be able to upload my mp3's or Atracs?

Im new to this MD stuff, i was about to buy an Ipod when i heard of the Hi-MD which totaly chnaged my mind.

So the MD dosent play mp3 files itself?

Could you give a brief explantion of the copyright issues ive been hearing?Will i be able to upload my mp3's or Atracs?

A Hi-MD unit only plays tracks that have been encoded into ATRAC. Hypothetically, you can either transfer a *.mp3/other format to be compatible with the unit and the help of SonicStage 2, or from another source ala optical/mic-in.

Copyright issues? I know enough to say that there are no longer check-in/check-out limitations with SonicStage 2, and all tracks that are recorded to MD are in a secure *.omg or *.oma format. You will be able to upload anything you want to a Hi-MD disc, as essentially there are two sections to it: data, and music that is playable on the unit. The unit will not be able to play or interact with the data on the disc. Get what I mean?

What is your favorite sandwich?

Your mom says you got that wrong, redeem yourself...have the HiMD's hit the tables in Shinjuku yet?

I can tell already you're quite the character, Paul. :sleep: I enjoy a good BLT every so often, I suppose..although a fried chicken sandwich always hits the spot.

Anyway, Shinjuku will probably not see Hi-MD units till June, perhaps July. I would expect them to be available in full force in Eastmouth, but if you can pull yourself away from Kabukicho then you'll see for yourself. :rasp:

Yeah I have a question. Why the hell would anyone pay $400 for the MZ-NH1 when you can get the equally impressive MZ-NH900 for only $300?! The NH900 has better batteries, a full set of buttons built into the unit itself, and a better display on the unit. Am I missing something here? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah I have a question.  Why the hell would anyone pay $400 for the MZ-NH1 when you can get the equally impressive MZ-NH900 for only $300?!

Well, it's thinner, has Time/Date-Stamp and an USB-connector on the cradle as well.

And of course the coolness factor... :cool:

No magnesium body really stings, but I'm in it for the 900 because I never EVER use remotes or charging cradles, and I've always liked a nice big display on my machines.

It burns me that my Panasonic 220 defaults to the "low battery" beep when the battery is removed, and it can only be disabled with the remote. My JVC XM-R70 also has half of its functionality contained solely in the remote (which I never GOT, so I'm giving the thing to my girlfriend's 10-year-old cousin--gotta get the boy hooked early!).

But yeah. I ramble, but I'm going for the 900 because, for me, it has better features than the NH1.

why there is no possibility to record manually at 48 kbps? I don't like to fast download tracks from PC to my minidisc blink.gif I rather record tracks manually, and then edit them manually later.. I don't mind using several days for recording and editing one disc to make it just the way I want it.

with the new sonicstage, you may now be able to merge and cut each track the way you like it (unlike the old sonicstage, 1.5 where you could only do that with wav files huh.gif ) :cool:.

yes i know that your unable to delete, cut, ,and merge tracks with the *10s and down, but without the check-out limit (thanks to the music society being more lenient on copyrights :ohmy: ) perhaps you may be able to cut, merge, and delete downloaded tracks (via usb!) with the new himd's! only time will tell my friend. :cool:

SonicStage converts mp3 to .omg files, then uploads the .omg file to the MD unit.  Will we be able to download that file to the PC?

No. It will most likely not, and function like the old NetMD units did - only delete the track from the disc.

What about .omg to mp3 conversion, is that possible? (without real time recording)

If you mean, converting a .omg file on your computer to a .mp3 file, no.

EDITED BY KURISU

Here's a question:

Will the Hi-MD units be able to play files of different compression on one disc?

like some files at 'Lp4' and some files at 'Lp2' etc.. ?

Yes.

Sony's press releases say that you can upload your microphone recordings to the pc, but what about digital ones?

Yes.

When we have .omg files on the computer, will we be able to upload them from Windows Explorer, and have it play as a music track? or will it come across as data only, since the music track is not being uploaded from SonicStage?

If that is possible, there'd be no need for Sonic Stage except to create the .omg files from .mp3

Silver,

look here:

http://minidisc.org/himd_mdcenter_news.html

I'll quote the relevant words, though:

All recorded audio is placed in a collection of ".hma" files (of unknown format) in a single directory on the MD. One large .hma file contains all the audio-data, the other files are for index-data & titles. These ".hma" files can be freely copied back to the PC hard drive, but no subsequent playback of them is possible. (They present fertile ground for further investigation however).

MDCenter.nl site has some ciphers of transfer rate. Not knowning Dutch at all, I can only suspect that DOESN'T talk about actual download times.

So, if upload rade is 9,5 Mbits/sec, or 1.2 MBytes/sec, a full 1 GB download (i.e. from PC to the player) should take 950 MBytes /1.2 MBytes/sec = 790 s ~ 15 min bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong please...

DmitryKo, you're most likely correct with your solution. Take a look at this, though:

konrad, the prices will fluctuate around the MSRP, but what you see is usually what you get. Have you had taxes and import charges with previous endeavors? I used to live in Ireland, but it's been so long since I have I've forgotten if you guys are susceptible to such. I'm sure that once it's available, Hi-MD won't put too big of a hole in your wallet if you buy it online.

Will songs recorded in HiMD play on MDLP units? I mean:

- I have a MZ-R700 and a MDS-JE480 Home Deck.

I wouldn't mind buying a new portable recorded, but I can't be bothered to buy another home deck... Besides, I would only need a basic downloader since I walk around with the MZ-R700 and some EX71s. Afterall, will tracks recorded in HiMD play in MDLP units? I think not, and that trully sucks, but :wacky:

Will songs recorded in HiMD play on MDLP units? I mean:

- I have a MZ-R700 and a MDS-JE480 Home Deck.

Yes and no.

According to MDCenter.nl:

Old disc recorded in NetMD-Mode: yes. Same playing times as your current equipment.

Old disc recorded in Hi-MD-Mode or Hi-MD-Disc: No.

See:

and the FAQ (Link on http://minidisc.org/ )

--------------------------------------------------

@ Kurisu & konrad:

Ok, I decided to take on the task of finding out the current tax rates and duty rates.

Import duty from third countries is the same across the whole EU.

It is 7% for Minidisc recorders and 0% for blanks.

The 14% I've mentioned in previous posts is for Video-equipment.

You can look it up yourself here:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs...tarchap?Lang=EN

You need the TARIC - code which is:

8519991800 for MD-players (9.5%)

8519991200 for Car-MD (9%)

8520329900 for MD-Recorders (7%)

8523900090 for Blanks (0%)

8521900090 for Video-equipment. (14%)

Rates are identical for USA and Japan.

Btw, there are about 15000 codes, covering everything from woodchips to condoms... :wacky:

And since minidisc is nowhere mentioned, I still could be wrong, as I had to go for the next suitable description.

Ok, on to the sales tax:

http://www.nettoeinkommen.de/mehrwert.htm

For Ireland(Irland) it states 20%.

There are no custom duties inside the EU.

i have a bunch of questions

1. How much would one of this cost, during August or so in USA since im going there during that time

2. Which one should i get..i want it to have accessories, USB etc

3. How big is a Hi MD disc and how much does one of these cost?

4.How long is the battery life and what type of battery will it be using

i think thats it, i will post if i need any more help thanks :grin:

i have a bunch of questions

1. How much would one of this cost, during August or so in USA since im going there during that time

To know that one requires psychic powers.

If I had those powers, I would have won in the state lottery multiple times and would lie in the sun at Waikiki beach instead of answering here...

But seriously, expect between 200 and 400 bucks, depending on model. Remember to compare prices...

2. Which one should i get..i want it to have accessories, USB etc

Depends on your requirements. If you use it often or mainly connected to your HiFi at home, take the NH900, as that one provides a full set of controls on the main unit and a 'Line mode', that means higher output level and a linear frequency response. If you have to save on money, the NH600 or the NH 700 are good choices.

The USB is common to all of them and the functionality on that is identical in all sets.

3. How big is a Hi MD disc and how much does one of these cost?

Size is the same as the old ones, 70 mm each side and 5 mm thick.

Capacity is 1GByte. For playing times see here:

http://www.minidisc.org/hi-md_faq.html

Price will be about 7 bucks apiece.

You can reuse existing blanks as well.

How long is the battery life and what type of battery will it be using

You don't want, that I post that information here.

If I do that, the forum would shut down, because of the sheer amount of data...

However, there is hope. A link of hope:

http://www.minidisc.org/himd_2004_comparis...ison_table.html

Now you understand.

i think thats it, i will post if i need any more help thanks  :grin:

Oh, there is another link: http://www.minidisc.org/himd_mdcenter_news.html

And the sets are here: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html

hmm....HI MDs on their way huh..ok i'll c what they have to say when they drop..but i'm still a lil sceptical bout SONY since my MZN 707 got issues due to the manufacturing where the cable runing to the magnetic head went bad n the lens was off balance in all my MD units..all in all i'm anticipating these things bad.will probably get 2 or 3 of them this time ..oh n i'm replying to something i read earlier bout price...a good place to get MD units online n they get theirs pretty fast at a good pirce..is "minidisco.com" for those who didn't know..

ne ways...i forgot what i wanted to really say cuz i'm distracted. will do next time :laugh:

Greetings. A few questions and lamentations. Does HI-MD have an optical line in that can be hooked up to a CD player? I primarily just dub CDs onto discs for playing on my bike. I use ATRAC4 mostly. That compression language is fine for the sound quality I need. How many hours of this particular sound quality can be fit on a HI-MD disc?

The thread discussing hacks and hardware fixes to get around Sony's ridiculous attempts to protect their product is both fascinating and dismaying. I looked forward to dubbing all the CDs my friends have burned for me over the years. I won't be able to do it, will I?

I'm just going to keep wearing out MZ/R900s, if that is the case. Five hours of music on a dollar disc? HI-MD, I think, is inferior to the previous generations, if you can't copy whatever you want.

Thanks

Light a fire, keep a man warm for a night. Light a man on fire, keep a man warm for the rest of his life. :grin: