Anonymous posting

anont

Please allow guest posting. I don't see minidisc.org as being a social community, but rather as a place where people can post about Minidiscs. So why not allow non-registered users to post? It wasn't a problem before.

Personally, I'd *rather* be anonymous, because I know Internet forums can devolve into personal discussion, which I'm not so interested in (to witness: the recent thread about how MD decks for cars are rare, the response that an uber-cool MD user would know you can get them from special service centers, and the general flames back and forth after that). And the bother of registering for forums, even if it only takes 5 minutes, keeps casual minidisc.org users away from posting.

Please allow guest posting.   I don't see minidisc.org as being a social community, but rather as a place where people can post about Minidiscs.  So why not allow non-registered users to post?  It wasn't a problem before.  

Personally, I'd *rather* be anonymous, because I know Internet forums can devolve into personal discussion, which I'm not so interested in (to witness: the recent thread about how MD decks for cars are rare, the response that an uber-cool MD user would know you can get them from special service centers, and the general flames back and forth after that).  And the bother of registering for forums, even if it only takes 5 minutes, keeps casual minidisc.org users away from posting.

First off, thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately though, minidisc.org forums will never have guest posting enabled. I am not interested in "passerbys", even though most of the people who register will only post once, and then reply to any responses, and leave content.

Guest posting was a problem. There wasn't any registrations, and registrations entice people to stick around and help others. I realize that guests can do the same thing, but don't you want post recognition and other things? Some of the key people who did take the time to register and help others are now moderators. I would continue, but hopefully what I've stated is sufficent. If there is any flaming going on, please report the post(s) to me or the moderators and we will take action.

Ever since I disabled guest posting, there has been a many registrations and people have been content with such. This is the first time I've recieved a complaint.

If you're dead set against it, well, you're the boss! However I think you should reconsider your position.

The reason why is because, at least to my mind, the minidisc discussion forums should be judged by quantity and quality. The quantity of posts has definitely gone down since anonymous posting was disallowed. In addition, I think the quality has gone down as well, albeit slightly - it seems like more of the posts come from the Minidisc fanatics, rather than the people who use Minidisc but are skeptical about certain aspects. I believe that the skepticism, the willingness to discuss the problems of MDs, and to discuss the benefits of other musical formate, made the board more useful & interesting.

Why is having "passerbys" & "guest posting" a problem? As a long-time user of the board, I don't think it was a problem at all. Perhaps for the moderators, this discussion board is a social forum where they can see who likes to post a lot, who has had what to say, and how long people have been talking about certain things. However, for me, and I'm sure for other people, there's not much interest in socializing on a message board about mindiscs. I think it should be optional.

And it goes without saying, the reason why you haven't gotten complaints that people don't want to register, is because they would have to register to make such a complaint.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately though, minidisc.org forums will never have guest posting enabled. I am not interested in "passerbys", even though most of the people who register will only post once, and then reply to any responses, and leave content.

Guest posting was a problem. There wasn't any registrations, and registrations entice people to stick around and help others. I realize that guests can do the same thing, but don't you want post recognition and other things? Some of the key people who did take the time to register and help others are now moderators. I would continue, but hopefully what I've stated is sufficent. If there is any flaming going on, please report the post(s) to me or the moderators and we will take action.

Ever since I disabled guest posting, there has been a many registrations and people have been content with such. This is the first time I've recieved a complaint.

100% agreement and I think most other ppl are going to agree with you too, moltar, er I mean kurisu :rasp: . Anont I'm sure while you do have some reasons behind what you're saying, I think everyone is happier with the forum this way.

Unregistered users are free to view posts and search (AFAIK)--they aren't prohibited from viewing messages and searching for info. Really one could browse the forums for a while before ever having something to say. When a person feels the need to say something, then they can register and do so and from there join in the community discussion about whatever... Plus registering takes all of 2 minutes and I don't even think anyone has to "approve" a membership you can start posting as soon as you get the confirmation email. And it doesn't cost you anything. I don't see where the problem is really.

Staying anonymous isn't a problem, IMO. For one thing on this forum we don't require the use of real names nor is any real personal info required. For example, click on my profile and you can find out stuff about me--well pretty much nothing. Its limited to what I feel like putting in there and somethings, for me, is a waste of time (like hobbies and interests I don't even bother with that). It doesn't say my real name anywhere (which is actually Roland in case you were wondering) and I can't see anything too personal about it. (People only know my name is Roland because I often use it in posting. If I, or you, didn't want anyone to know your actual name you never have to use it--its really that simple).

Even if personal info were required you could just make that up anyway if you really wanted.

It really is much better like this. No ppl leaving a question here or there and never coming back for the answer or never bothering to thank anyone for info/help; no people forgetting to sign in and accidentally posting as a guest; no need to worry about who said what and who asked what, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about flaming and vendettas etc.; I've never really seen it get that bad on here or on most other forums I visit. Sure there are times when ppl might identify you as someone they don't particularly like or get along with (or you them) but that's just life really. Not everyone gets along unfortunately, but for the most part people are at least civil about it.

Anyway just some thoughts about it. Trust me the forum is much better now with all the new changes, including the requirement to register.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is surely anonymous enough, the problem with guest posting is a different one: Trolls, trawlers and other unsavory folk dropping their feces here off. And for that very reason, guest posting should be disabled forever.

The latest one going to registered only is the LJ-community of Carpediem:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/carpe...omic/32658.html

Reason: People, who cannot behave...

Guest Anonymous

Meh, i don't post much my self... i tend to post a little more at t-station for some reason.

But i have to say that i lurked around t-station and here for about 3-4 months before i actually just broke down and signed up...but i like being able to post and help others out.