anyone know how to avoid/disable accidental erase on r900

Rate this topic

softpress

guys, anybody,

i need help !!! in the past three days, have accidentally erased three minidiscs and i can't figure out if my machine's malfunctioning or i'm pressing buttons i shouldn't be pressing.

i'll be editing tracks and adding track marks here or there and then all of a sudden BLANKDISC is flashing on the lcd and my 40 plus tracks are gone.

i know that if i'm in stop mode and then attempt to erase a track, it'll erase the whole thing, but i'm pretty sure the last time, that's not what happened. any insights?

i'm going crazy and my bandmates are nonplussed.

if there's a erase all disable function, please share. thanks!!!

Okay, for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this one, but it sounds like your R900 is feeling frisky.

First of all, fill an MD with music you really don't care about. This is what you'll experiment with.

Second, don't reuse the 3 MDs you've erased. The music is still there--you're going to need to experiment a little with TOC cloning to get them readable again.

Now, just adding track marks shouldn't erase anything, nor should erasing a track while it's playing. The only thing I can think of is that it's erasing as you title the disc (in EDIT mode while the machine is stopped, Disc Title and Disc Erase are right next to each other, and it's easy to bump the jog dial as you push it in, so the R900 switches from Title to Erase before you can catch it).

If it wipes the disc while you title tracks, while it's playing or while you add track marks (basically, whenever the R900 feels a need to write to the UTOC), then something is definitely wrong--it's doing something to corrupt the TOC as it writes.

I can't help more than that--let me know if you have any luck.