mp3 to mdlp4 sound issues

Rate this topic

bsmuir

Hi I'm new to NetMD but definately not new to MD. I have a question about the conversion of mp3s to MDLP4. I know MDLP4 is highly compressed audio, but I want to know why my mp3s recorded at 192 (ripped with Nero Mix at constant bit rate, not variable) sound like trash when some of my mp3s I've downloaded (at 128) sound passable? I have a large mp3 collection (1900+) most of which I have ripped from their original cds with Nero Mix and I don't want to have to rip them again with a different program to get them to sound passable. :wacky:

Does the Image Drive / Daemon Tools method via Simple Burner produce better sound quality results then Sonic Stage? (i.e mp3-->wav-->atrac3 mdlp4)

thanks for your help in advance!!!

I found that some records sound better than others in MDLP4 (using the same source).

The best way to get good atrac encondings is converting the songs with the original CD as source. (not always possible ) :wacky:

To my ears a file converted to atrac3@66kbps sound better than a rip to mp3@128kbps (both using the original CD as source ) :cool:

hey there...to answer ur q the simple answer is no...mp3 is a lossy compression algorithm and once u've compressed it to mp3 converting them into wavs don't do much good...what's lost cannot be gained again though a simple mp3 -> wav conversion so u won't produce better quality rips using Dino's Nero + SimpleBurner method...

So I take it the best method of getting decent quality audio to the MD, in either LP2 or LP4 is to use Simple Burner to record it straight from the CD? Sounds good to me.

My normal music aquisition process has been: Download a few tracks, if I like, I'll buy the CD. Bring CD home, put in computer, rip at 192Kbps MP3, then copy onto CDRW for play in my car CD/MP3 deck.

Now it's going to be slightly modified (especially when I get a HiMD unit). Buy CD, bring it home, rip to MP3 @256Kbps and store in my MP3 directory. THEN record to HiMD directly from CD using Simple Burner or SS2 in whatever quality I desire at the time. I will also record directly from CDs for those that I already own.