Recording 4 cds onto one disc in SP!

Rate this topic

Recording 4 cds onto one disc in SP!

This is a little trick I thought up awhile back while tinkering with the thought of listening to 4 CDs all at the same time.

First you need several minidiscs.

2 cables (Either mono mini plug to mono RCA, Mono RCA to Mono RCA, or any combonation of the 2)

a MD deck or recorder with L and R RCA jacks.

2 additional MD deck/recorders/players

*note*This will result in a huge quality loss*note*

First, record all 4 CDs in mono.

Then set up this apparatus:

MD player with CD #1 in it: Hooked up to the line in of the MD deck (One channel only)

MD player with CD #2 in it: Hooked up to the line in of the MD deck (One channel only)

Now record the 2 CDs in mono to a 5th MD.

Then:

MD player with CD #3 in it: Hooked up to the line in of the MD deck (One channel only)

MD player with CD #4 in it: Hooked up to the line in of the MD deck (One channel only)

Now record those 2 MDs onto a 6th MD

Now you have 2 MDs with 4 CDs on them all together. Repeat the process:

MD player with CD #1+2 in it: Hooked up to the line in of the MD deck (One channel only)

MD player with CD #3+4 in it: Hooked up to the line in of the MD deck (One channel only)

Now record those 2 MDs onto a 7th MD in mono

Voila! Listen to 4 Albums simultaneously

Guest NRen2k5

Are you braindead? That's 4 albums on 2 MD's, not on one!

That said, it is an interesting idea.

There are two big problems aside from the use of two different signals in the encoding, though:

1) You're recrding in analogue, so there is a further loss in sound quality.

2) Trackmarks will be a bitch.

That sounds so psycho, I'm gonna have to try it. And I read thru the instructions, and it does all boil down to one MD--you essentially have two MDs with four albums (one album per stereo channel) that you then record onto one MD (two albums per stereo channel).

It's the audio equivalent of getting eggs, bacon, pancakes and coffee, throwing them all into a blender and drinking the final product.

Some dude did that...who was that? He released a 4-LP album where you were supposed to play all four records at the same time so the music mashed together a different way each listen. Maybe I'll try this with 4 Aphex Twin albums. Or maybe four different albums (like, Jethro Tull, the Prodigy, Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Johnny Cash).

It should boil down to 1 MD, and I already stated in the original post that it would result in a massive quality loss.

The Flaming Lips released a 4 disc Album that is supposed to be played in unison.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest NRen2k5

I don't see the point in listening to 4 albums at the same time, anyway.

It might be cool to squeeze 8 albums onto one MD in LP4 using a technique similar to this, though. You could listen to each one independently, using a set of earbuds to listen to just one side or the other.

If you have a massive quality loss, then it's not really SP....easier just to record in LP4 in the first place.

The bitrate will be the same as any other SP recording, Therefore it is SP.

LP4 can't play 4 albums AT THE SAME TIME!

i did it using two 5 hour dj sets from a gig we did a while ago.

5 hours per channel, used a home made stereo splitter, theyre in mono anyhow, cute idea if yor not bothered about stereoism of your music

• 2 weeks later...