Why no point between Hi-SP & Hi-LP e.g Hi-MP in Atrack2p

Rate this topic

Qwakrz

Why does sony seem to think that the end user will either want really high quality (Hi-SP) or really poor quality (Hi-LP).

I would really like to know if it is possible to record to a 1Gb Hi-MD at a data rate and quality similar to the old MD-LP2 rates.

I think we're jumping the gun assuming that the on the fly encoding done by the MusicMove does the encoding on the Vaio Pocket side... For all we know, the DSP on the Vaio Pocket could be worse than the DSPs on the MD hardware. Big assumption, for all we know, the MusicMove could be gussied up SonicStage, and one can say that SS encodes on the fly, so to speak. I could be mistaken about all of these, however. IF someone can (and will) correct me on this, I'd highly appreciate it.

On a spearate note, I wonder if I should take out my tin foil hat now? I'm starting to at least listen to the theory/hypothesis that ATRAC3/plus hardware codec is vastly superior to the OpenMG software codec... Tin foil!

Thanks for the reply, Im glad to know that I can still get a resonable ammount of music onto a minidisc at a resonable quality.

The main point I was trying to put across is the lack of a mid point in the Atrac3plus encoding system. Its either 256kbps or 64kbps, there is no middle 128 or 160kbps.

I wounder what would happen if you encoded them at something like 160kbps on a PC and transfered them, will they be re-encoded or transfered as valid files and played back?

I would presume that having a similar bitrate in Atrac3plus is preferable to Atrac3

Whoa, there is no mid-ground? I never realized that. That sucks.

So the only way to use a Hi-MD disc is to encode using ATRAC3plus?

So when you reformat your old MDs to Hi-MD standard the reason it fits so much on it is because it's using a lower bit rate..?

I'm confused..

~a.i.h.