Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread? [part II]

Rate this topic

Christopher

Continued from this thread: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=4144

Not to be pretentious, but I know alot of Hi-MD. I also notice that in threads people will come in and ask questions about Hi-MD in a thread that is talking about such, but not what's related to the actual topic.

So, as a Hi-MD guru, I will entertain all one-liners here! Feel free to ask me anything.

:happy:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woo hoo! I'm first!

I could not resist...and I'm going to ask naughty question

do you guys think that eventually someone will come out with hack to extract digitally recorded audio? :ninja: :cool: :wink: :love: :happy: :laugh: huh.gif

***audios recorded on HI-MD digitally..since you can extract analog recordings(or I should have said download to your PC)

hmm...extract it with what a HI MD unit? ..or Something else ..n extract it from CDs u talking? i'm not to sure what ur talking about.. altho i'm thinking it's a MD unit cuz u said hack...but the units don't extract ne thing.. it takes what we give it???? but i'm still in a state of :wacky: not sure what ur really asking.

^ doosmac makes more sense than you do. It would help if you tried to type in complete sentences... smile.gif

Anyway, regarding doosmac's question, I doubt it... knowing Sony they'll have some sort of DRM protection applied on the files. Everything is crackable given time, but I doubt anyone would be interested enough to crack .OMG files.

So, o' great Hi-MD guru... what happens if you try to format a MD using Windows Explorer? tongue.gif

It won't finish formatting. I know, I tried. biggrin.gif

You can, however, format your HiMD discs using SonicStage, SimpleBurner, or on the unit itself (when inserting Blank MD disc, it'll automatically format to HiMD Blanks unless you choose the disc mode to MD).

NEXT!

ok, i just got my 600, i put it in my pocket for the trip home, and now theres some scratches on the display. why? because as dumb as the sony engineers are, the display cover plastic is sticking right out!! now, does anyone here know anything transparent that could cover up the display to prevent further scratching?

LOL Damage, I can always count on you for trying out odd things on Hi-MDs tongue.gif

Other than the R900, every unit I've had (N10, R90, R70, R55 have had LCD shields that stuck out. The R900 was the only unit with a recessed LCD.

LOL Damage, I can always count on you for trying out odd things on Hi-MDs tongue.gif

Other than the R900, every unit I've had (N10, R90, R70, R55 have had LCD shields that stuck out. The R900 was the only unit with a recessed LCD.

Hey, someone's got to try, no? Besides, I consider this a pleasures of being an early adopter. Thus far, I haven't been wrong on my early adoption of techonologies (DVD, nVidia's TNT, Digital Cameras). I hope I ain't wrong about HiMDs either. biggrin.gif

Hey - Does anyone know if the rechargeable batteries provided with MD players have...issues?

I ask becase when researching iPods it appears that most, if not all, buyers complain about the limited amount of life (both recharageable life and actual life - 1 or 2 years) they get from their batteries. I just cannot in good conscious buy something for $300+ that has a useful life on less than 2 years!

My decision point relative to the Hi-MD units is comfort level with a unit that does not have an in-unit slot for an AA battery. So this pits the 900 and NH1 versus the 600 and 800.

Right now the front runner is the 800 since it has an in-unit AA slot and from what I am reading in most of the forums the functionality of the 800 over the 600 is worth the extra $60+.

Is my fear of recharageable batteries totally irrational? Is the 800 that much better than the 600? Is the 900 san AA battery slot worth the $60 over the 800?

In the immortal words of Vinnie Barbarino, I am so confused!

OK - this post was too long - sorry.

Steve

It won't finish formatting.  I know, I tried.  :D

Did you try something besides Windows formatting? [i.e. Norton]

----------

smkraft - The rechargeable batteries are removeable [in most of the models, at least the ones you mention], so it's a moot point. Welcome, regardless - I used to live near Atlanta for more than 15 years. Busy place it's turned out to be. :happy:

Anyway, Stamp had mentioned an issue with scratches on the LCD screen. They are very easy to remove and you can accomplish this with toothpaste. Take a small dab and apply it to a moistened cotton swab. "buff" that into the scratch on the LCD unit [circular strokes] until the scratch is covered. Make sure you press down slightly otherwise it won't really do anything at all. Moisten a paper towel and wipe off the toothpaste, and repeat till the scratch is gone. Don't believe me? I don't care - it's worked for me and 3 different Sony remotes - bringing the LCD's back to "mint" condition. haha

i used boxing scotch tape, that stuff is tough tongue.gif

I would be concerned about the glue of any tape causing greater problems with your LCD cover, like discolouration or worse. The PDA screen prtectors can be cut to size and then maybe the tape over it if it's not secure enough.

The rechargeable batteries are removeable [in most of the models, at least the ones you mention], so it's a moot point.

Thanks kurisu - two quick follow-up questions:

First, do the rechargeable batteries that typically come with new Sony MD's (in this case Hi-MD) retain their charge, in the sense that I can rely on the 900's battery to consistently provide 8.5 hours in Hi-SP mode (per the Hi-MD comparison chart)?

Second, do the batteries last a long time or will I need to buy a new rechargeable battery every six months or a year?

Given your initial post I assume it is easy to buy new rechargeable batteries if/when they go bad.

Thanks again.

:smile: The_stamp i'd suggest u use those clear nail polishes but u gotta b clean n smooth with it mabye have a lady do it but the only prob is when u put it on n u change ur mind don't try n take it off especially with nail polish remover it's acid in that, n it's gonna really mess up the display it's gonna look smered permanently..

having a lady do who does manicure would b cool cuz i did it in times past when i just got bought a casio watch i loved it as what... i was skating n got wiped out.. the glas for the watch got some wicked scratches n that nail polish thing came to mind... when i was done tho..seeming i'm not good at that stuff it wasn't smooth all over the surface.so i tried taking it all off n re applying..n that's when it happened..the display got smered for good..

but all in all i wouldnt' worry bout the scratches on the display cuz it seems in time the scratches dissapear ne way

I have a question. How exactly is everyone coping with the excruciatingly painful wait for the 900 and NH1?

Personally I'll likely be opting for the 900, although I'd want to read reviews from a few different sources first. Being from the UK unfortunately that means I won't have one in time for hols. WAAAHHHH!

First, do the rechargeable batteries that typically come with new Sony MD's (in this case Hi-MD) retain their charge, in the sense that I can rely on the 900's battery to consistently provide 8.5 hours in Hi-SP mode (per the Hi-MD comparison chart)?

You will actually get better results if you use a better gumstick [this is what the batteries are referred to] with higher mAh. I would recommend you look for 1400 - 1450 mAh gumsticks. They're a dime a dozen on eBay..don't pay more than ~$8 for one.

Second, do the batteries last a long time or will I need to buy a new rechargeable battery every six months or a year?

I believe that with normal use you could probably get a year's use out of these types of batteries, if not longer.

Gattuso

I have a question. How exactly is everyone coping with the excruciatingly painful wait for the 900 and NH1?

well my mind's not really on it really..seeing that i got a working unit still but probably if i didn't have a working unit i'd b a lil hasty :smile: but it's not biggie man..it's coming ..now i'm just trying to b positive about it cuz thus far on my trip with Sony MD units it's just been failure.. the only almost perfect unit i got working fine is my MZR70 but the battery hatch won't close properly so i gotta put a rubberband around the unit arkward :grin: N707 won't record blah blah blah.....

A one line question:

Is there an Official release date for the UK? After searching the net some people have a vague idea it will be sometime in June.

(Hang on, it is June - so where are they?????? mad.gif )

Are there going to be any restrictions on which models are released in Blighty, will we get the top of the range unit?

We wants one precious, and we wants it soon! :rasp:

(Okay, so it's longer than one line, but we gots a bit carried away precious, yes we dids rolleyes.gif )

I emailed Sony in the UK, but despite their "we'll get back to you in 24 hours" I haven't had response. Based on what the sales folks in my local Sony shop and Dixons told me, I'd say it looks like mid-July for the 700 thru NH1 and maybe mid-June for the 600. Amazon have tentative dates of 5th August for the 600/800/NH1, but not for the 700/900 which look to me like the bestsellers of the initial range. The high street people are expecting brisk trade initially. I'll post again if I hear anything more concrete.

DO NOT USE TO COVER THE LCD DISPLAY! it may solve the problem then, but the glue will stick later! i tied to take it off, and there was glue evrywher on it! took me a good 30 minutes to get it sparkly clean again. now i use a PDA cover. (cut into the shape of course).

Hello

I hope some of you may answer my question.

I'm sitting here in Norway waiting for the HI-MD to come to the store...

So in the meantime I have read some info about the different Hi-Md models.

I have found out that the Mz-Nh600 model sold in Europe will have a optical and analog line in, but the 600 in US do not have this (In my opinion) important feature?

Why the difference between US and Europe?

I have thought about buying one from US, maybe it's best to wait until the model comes to Norway?

Definitely birdy. It's not uncommon for Sony to do this, as they've done it in the past. Perhaps they think Europe will actually make use of such features, whereas consumers in the US may not. Ultimately I believe it was a decision to cut costs I suppose..or shiesty tactics.

Welcome, btw. :happy:

If I make a recording with my Hi-MD device is it possible for me to convert it to another format like MP3 or WMA on my computer??

Thanks

Yes. The seemingly best method may be to burn it onto cd and then rip from there, or 1:1 upload into a program like CoolEdit. Once this feature is available [in the higher-end units], I'm sure discussion and relevant informative threads will tell you everything you need to know. Welcome, too.

I read somewhere that the audio part of a Hi-MD formatted disk appears in Windows Explorer as just a normal file (or set of files in a directory). I'm wondering whether we could then copy these files onto hard drive, and then later transfer them on to another minidisc (or possibly the original disc after it has changed) and be able to play back the stuff again?

Basically, it would mean you can back up the contents of a disc. But, it also means that duplication of a single disc is a lot easier, and also it is more likely that it will be possible to reverse engineer the format and create open software which will transfer music between computer and MD.

I've read that the files in question can be viewed just like any other file... but sometimes the device can impose its own special restrictions on some files... hopefully this isn't the case.

Andy

1st post, I'm new here... Hi everyone! :smile:

Well... I've got a simple question about this new Hi-MDs, I read a few of the part I of this thread, and I found this:

"A Hi-MD unit only plays tracks that have been encoded into ATRAC. Hypothetically, you can either transfer a *.mp3/other format to be compatible with the unit and the help of SonicStage 2, or from another source ala optical/mic-in."

That answered me. It seems that I can play mp3 files on the NH900 I want to buy. But I wated to know if it has complete mp3 suport, I mean: Would I be able to transfer 128-320 cbr/vbr mp3 to the NH900 with the software it brings like I would do with some AC3 tracks? How many MBs would I be able to record with mp3 files? (I'm sure it'll be less than 1Gb)

Some devices only suport up to 256cbr mp3, and most of my music is 320cbr, or APE (when would this MDs have a firmware update function so we can introduce plugins for reading new formats... seems easy to me)

Sorry if this question was answered before... I'm somehow sure it was, but I thought it wouldn't matter asking this again, there are +15 pages on the thread... :happy:

Thanks a lot!

There is no native support for any other codec other than ATRAC/3/+ or PCM. No MP3 (VBR/CBR), AAC, OGG. And Sony never releases firmware updates to the public. You will require transcoding and this *will* have to be done via SS2.

Hope that helps. :happy:

I'm wondering whether we could then copy these files onto hard drive, and then later transfer them on to another minidisc (or possibly the original disc after it has changed) and be able to play back the stuff again?

I believe that this is impossible. Apparently the DRM limits it to the disc you're burning it to, and I believe you don't have real access to all of the tracks - just one large archive file. Like I said though, this file is crippled by DRM and is probably only limited to that disc. I don't know much about this, maybe you should PM the people who own Hi-MD units.

Predalien, I'm sure you'll be content with the higher-bitrate ATRAC3plus encodings; just convert the files in question to that and you'll be ok.