Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread? [part II]

Rate this topic

Christopher

Hello everyone! I am a longtime user of the "classic" MD (not NetMD), and am excited about HiMD. I currently use classic MD and also MP3 for portable music purposes. I am hoping I can do everything I do now with MP3 and MD, just easier faster. Can someone confirm for me whether I can do the following:

RIPPING/STORAGE

1. Rip wav files into my choice of HiMD format using sonicstage.

2. Store and copy the HiMD music files as I wish, with no limitations, the same as I could with an MP3 file--one full set on an external HD (as data, not playable music), another archived set on DVD or CD's (as data, not playable music), my faves on my laptop, etc.

CREADTING MD's

1. Using the software, create mixes of my favorite music without restrictions on how many times I use any particular HiMD music file.

2. Download these mixes to MD's at super-high speeds.

EDITING MD's

1. Use the software to quickly and easily add or delete HiMD music files to any HiMD formatted disc.

Thanks!!

RR

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone!  I am a longtime user of the "classic" MD (not NetMD), and am excited about HiMD.  I currently use classic MD and also MP3 for portable music purposes.  I am hoping I can do everything I do now with MP3 and MD, just easier faster.  Can someone confirm for me whether I can do the following:

RIPPING/STORAGE

1.  Rip wav files into my choice of HiMD format using sonicstage.

2.  Store and copy the HiMD music files as I wish, with no limitations, the same as I could with an MP3 file--one full set on an external HD (as data, not playable music), another archived set on DVD or CD's (as data, not playable music), my faves on my laptop, etc.

CREADTING MD's

1.  Using the software, create mixes of my favorite music without restrictions on how many times I use any particular HiMD music file.

2.  Download these mixes to MD's at super-high speeds.

EDITING MD's

1.  Use the software to quickly and easily add or delete HiMD music files to any HiMD formatted disc.

Thanks!!

RR

welcome!

1. Rip wav files into my choice of HiMD format using sonicstage.

yes, but only in atrac3(plus). PCM will be available in SS2.1.

2. Store and copy the HiMD music files as I wish, with no limitations, the same as I could with an MP3 file--one full set on an external HD (as data, not playable music), another archived set on DVD or CD's (as data, not playable music), my faves on my laptop, etc.

in a sense, yes. there are now unlimited checkouts (no more 3 checkouts pre mp3). when its inported into sonicstage, its stuck in sonicstage, (DRM) minidisc, or any atrac3 portable device. BUT, you can burn strac3 songs into a cd (PCM format) using iceedtea's instraller of SS2. you can back music files via SS backup utility.

1. Using the software, create mixes of my favorite music without restrictions on how many times I use any particular HiMD music file.

2. Download these mixes to MD's at super-high speeds.

1, 2: YES

1. Use the software to quickly and easily add or delete HiMD music files to any HiMD formatted disc.

YES

hope this is helpful. the first #2 could be a little more specific tho tongue.gif

Thanks for the response! Let me be more specific on the first #2.

I would like to have the main storage of my HiMD music files on a stand-alone external hard drive. That way, I could access them using different computers.

In addition, just in case the external hard drive dies, I don't want to have to re-rip the wav files. So I would like to have a full copy of all the HiMD music files as data (not music) on DVD or CD so that I would never again have to re-rip to HiMD format. I would like to be able to just use my CD/DVD burner program to drag/drop my HiMD files from the external drive and burn DVDs or CD's having all of them in HiMD format.

Is this doable?

I tried taking hi-md music data from hi-mds... it wont play unless the mdata is put back on the same disk.

if your talking about the atrac3 files (omg) that SS2 creates, there is a backup utility that will let you back your files to a hard drive. if you wawnt to include your hi-md files, you will want to upload them your computer before running the utility.

One thing to add, partly inspired by the t-board thread:

In case anyone wonders, you can't "defrag" music files themselves on the HiMD discs using the defrag tools from windows. You could defrag the disc, and it does defrag the various files (the music information files that goes with the music tracks), but in the defrag tools, the music file shows up as a single contigous block of files.

Just in case anyone was kept up at nights wondering about such things.

does anyone know, when you upload mic recordings from the hi md, will it maintain the track count? as opposed to it being one big recording like when recording with the sound card. and i should have no problem converting it as a wave file?

WHEW, I have been thru 11 of those prevous 14 pages and I just have a few questions left.

"how can u tell how much recording time u have left..does it tell u in Size MB or in mins n sec?"

does any1 know the answer to that question, if u have data and audio on the same disc, it would be nice to know how much recording time u have left in mins and sec for audio of course AND ALSO MB for data files.

I have a ton of VBR (variable bit rate; ranges from 128 to 320kbps for my files) mp3 files that I would want to upload to hi-md discs in hi-sp mode of course, will sonicstage 2 recognize vbr mp3 files and not do anything funky to them like changing the bit rate to something constant or even worse to something lower? I want them encoded to atrac directly from the exact vbr form they r in now.

is it possible to transfer to hi-md units with my old school usb 1.0?

Does any1 know a target date for the second generation units to be unveiled? (obviously available in Japan first) I was just curious cuz I'd rather put off my purchase for another year or however long to get past the first generation bugs and annoyances like if the units didnt tell u haow much time in mins and secs u have left if there is data and audio on the same disc, improved battery life, etc.

I think thats it for now. Thanks!

Hi all

I am trying to decide between NH900 and NH1. Very important to me is battery life. For the 900 is the attachable AA holder/case which more than doubles battery life. Plus the fact that I already have 2 gumstick 14wm's from my N1 - which I believe will work in a 900 but give even longer life than the supplied gumstick? Can anyone confirm this please? For the N1 is the fact that it's neater/smaller and (important ) got a full magnesium shell. But the Li-ion is the only battery option ( no AA bolt-on?) Does anyone have any ideas about availability of spare Li-ions for the NH1? Price? Also if I want to take a spare battery or 2 on a longish trip - would I have to charge them all individually in the unit or do you reckon anyone will make a "battery charger" taking say 2 or 3 of the Li-ions?? Finally - if I need to take the charger with me - do I also need the "stand" as well to recharge or does charger plug into either main unit as well as usb stand? Thanks for all the help/good information on the forums guys and gals!!

yeah Damage..

i got some unusable mds home..haven't trashed them yet..

the TOC seems to have been messed up due to me attempting to record with the magnetic head disconnected so when i pop in the disc it reads disc error.. do u think that by formating them with the HI MD if it will work again?

"how can u tell how much recording time u have left..does it tell u in Size MB or in mins n sec?"

It would take the remaining space and the current datarate and calculates the remaining recording time from that.

I have a ton of VBR (variable bit rate; ranges from 128 to 320kbps for my files) mp3 files that I would want to upload to hi-md discs in hi-sp mode of course, will sonicstage 2 recognize vbr mp3 files and not do anything funky to them like changing the bit rate to something constant or even worse to something lower? I want them encoded to atrac directly from the exact vbr form they r in now.

It does recognize them and the files will be converted into the selected ATRAC-Type and datarate. You want to select Hi-SP with 256kBit. The original files are unaffected by this, as there are copies created in the folder designated by SS2 for that(can be changed in the system options inside SS2).

is it possible to transfer to hi-md units with my old school usb 1.0?

Urf... that one is old. You might run into compatibility problems, as Hi-MD units are USB 1.1 devices.

Expect it not working correctly or not working at all.

Does any1 know a target date for the second generation units to be unveiled?

Expect next year.

Hi all 

I am trying to decide between NH900 and NH1. Very important to me is battery life. For the 900 is the attachable AA holder/case which more than doubles battery life. Plus the fact that I already have 2 gumstick 14wm's from my N1 - which I believe will work in a 900 but give even longer life than the supplied gumstick? Can anyone confirm this please?

IIRC, the gumstick supplied with the 900 is in fact the NH-14WM, so your battery life would be the same.

For the N1 is the fact that it's neater/smaller and (important ) got a full magnesium shell. But the Li-ion is the only battery option ( no AA bolt-on?)

Almost every single sony high-end md recorder has had the AA-battery addon feature. I don't see why this model would be any different.

Does anyone have any ideas about availability of spare Li-ions for the NH1? Price?

IIRC, no information yet has been released on buying additional LIP-4WM. However, these batteries will most definately be avilable from Sony directly, abeit though at exorbant prices. You'd simply have to wait for retailers to begin to stock these batteries at much lower prices than from Sony direct.

Also if I want to take a spare battery or 2 on a longish trip - would I have to charge them all individually in the unit or do you reckon anyone will make a "battery charger" taking say 2 or 3 of the Li-ions??

Currently, Sony only has made one gumstick battery charger that charges two gumsticks, which model number eludes me at the moment. All the other gumstick chargers they have made only charged one at a time. However, some people have found Ni-MH chargers where the gumstick fits perfectly, so they have been able tocharge multple gumstick batteries at once. In other words, yes, you'd have to charge them individually unless you would be able to find a charger like the one people use for Ni-MH gumsticks except for Li-Ion.

Finally - if I need to take the charger with me - do I also need the "stand" as well to recharge or does charger plug into either main unit as well as usb stand?

I'm pretty sure that the NH1's charging method is through the stand only.

Thanks for reply tbdoah! The specification pages I've found list the NH1 battery as LiP 4- WM which I thought was similar size but shorter life than the 14WM?? Also the Sony spec sheets make no mention of being able to use AA bolt on case with NH1. I hope it's possible to use one with the NH1 because that would decide my choice between NH900 and NH1 !! Cant wait for machines ( and reviews) to start coming out!

when do you guys think we'll see blank 1g mini discs in stores like Best Buy?

(I don't understand these guys putting out hardwares but no media...another one is these new Dual Layer DVD recoders, I got one but no dual layer blank dvd+r to burn to..) :sad:

I'm pretty sure the LiP-4WM is the same size as the NH-14WM except that the voltage/mAh is much different. 3.6 4WM/1.2 14WM, 800 mAh/1350 mAh.

That's really old that Sony has removed the feature that most people have used since the beginning of minidisc (with the exception of the MZ-1 and R2 of course). If Chris says that the NH1 doesn't have a AA battery attachment, then I believe him. Kind of sucks though.

IIRC, it was a blanks shortage that has been delaying the released of Hi-MD in the United States. Wal-Mart is supposedly supposed to have the deal of a 3 pack @ 9.99 USD. That's not really that bad, considering a CF media that's two GB excedes $400 and a four GB excedes $800+ easily. Not worth at all as you can easily tell :grin:.

I really think the success of Hi-MD will rely on the rate of success as a storage medium. No other medium has the storage to price ratio as low as Hi-MD. The only thing that might deter users away is the propietary software that Sony keeps pushing on us all :whatever:.

Thanks for the words of confidence, tim. :happy:

I agree with you 100% about Hi-MD's success as a storage medium, but I also hope that people who used MD exclusively for live recording [whether it be for their own endeavors or for another's] transition to Hi-MD, it'd be ridiculous for them not to!

Anyway, the picture that gave me the biggest indication that there would not be an AA add-on pack was this:

user posted image

[bottom of NH1]

Now, as far as I know, it's always been the same type of design for the AA add-on pack for quite a few generations. Screw in, no? There is a very good chance that they made a new adapter that would fit in this port, but it doesn't seem likely. I think Hi-MD's ability to draw power off USB is the compensation for all this, and frankly, I'm content with that.

I don't care anyway, I'll probably end up getting a NH900 as I can't justify $400 for the NH1 [i could get a hella nice iPod for that]. $400 and $ for discs? Meh

I've got a question about the 900. It's partly plastic and partly alu.

On the pictures I can see that the front is almost entirely alu, with a plastic thingy around the controls. But I havn't seen any pics of the back yet. I was wondering (and hoping) that there was some alu as well. Can anyone clarify this?

hello.

i want to buy NH1 or 900. im going to record "live" mostly (using mic). my question: is 900 really prefered because of the AA add-on? or maybe those NH1 batteries are better? can i recharge NH1 batteries when they are not totally empty without a great harm (i mean memory effect)?

and another thing - will i have any problems with recharging batteries when, for example, going on a trip? i mean is there a possibility to recharge using some power supply/adaptor or do i need my computer with usb supply?

thanks, c.

On the pictures I can see that the front is almost entirely alu, with a plastic thingy around the controls. But I havn't seen any pics of the back yet. I was wondering (and hoping) that there was some alu as well. Can anyone clarify this?

Even I am unaware of the true build of this unit, and I am inquiring with a fellow who used a real model and will have a straight answer within a day or two.

my question: is 900 really prefered because of the AA add-on? or maybe those NH1 batteries are better? can i recharge NH1 batteries when they are not totally empty without a great harm (i mean memory effect)?

and another thing - will i have any problems with recharging batteries when, for example, going on a trip? i mean is there a possibility to recharge using some power supply/adaptor or do i need my computer with usb supply?

Hiya, and welcome to the forums. :happy:

First off, I think alot of people prefer the asthetics of the NH900 over the NH1 because it has a 3-line display on the unit and one line remote, as opposed to the one-line display on the NH1 and the 3-line remote. I myself am still a bit confused as to what I should purchase, but it really seems to be the NH900. The NH900 will have better battery life [with a more efficent battery] compared to the NH1, and the AA add-on is merely a bonus.

You can take the NH1 battery out, but there are no aftermarket chargers for this type of battery, so all charging will have to be done with the unit. You will be able to charge via the PSU/adapter, but you will not be able to charge via USB. Hope this didn't confuse you.

The NH900 is to be preferred because of the AA-box.

Second, it is possible to recharge a half depleted NiMH-battery, but it shouldn't be done constantly. You should run down the battery atleast every fifth cycle.

Third, you don't need your computer to recharge, a charge stand and a wall wart are included.

Hi you guys, I have a little question about the new Hi-MD format & Sonicstage 2.0.

Next week I'm going to buy a new HiMD Minidisc, and I'm planning on buying a new computer. Probably a portable VAIO A-series. Would it be possible to write all the MP3 tracks on my current computer to HiMD (In Atrac3Plus) and then upload them to my new portable? Or will I get copyright issues?

I really hate this copyrightcrap. I just encoded all my CD' s to Atarc3plus, and installed a few new things on my pc. I restart SonicStage and not a single Atrac3Plus file plays back. The program closes and tries to authenticate my database on the internet.

And after 5 seconds it gives me this beautiful error: Cannot connect to internet.

As you can see, I am very much connected to the internet!

I mailed the support connect.com support team, and they tell me to call some kind of support center. But I live in Belgium! What do they expect? That I call an US number from Belgium?

Thank you Sony! Does anyone here have a clue how I could fix this problem?

Thx you guys.

Hi.

I am thinking about a solution to my portable data/music needs

Hi-md seems to be a good one.

Price differences between the two models is not a big issue for me

PRO 800:

-Radio

-Built in AA

PRO 900:

-Slimmer (cool).

-Digital amplifier

1. Is the digital amplifier makes a real difference? (Usually I don’t use the amp).

2. Can I record radio with the 800 or just hear it.

3. Can I get a solution to my radio needs with the 900? Maybe with a different remote?

--------

Two general questions:

1. Can anyone say something about the USB1.1 issue (Knowing that the standard for new devices is USB2.0)

2. Why, why SONY makes it SOOOOOO hard for its consumers (Ethic program and format, no radio available for most devices.....)

Thanks.

ps. i would ask another question - when is 900 finally going to show up.

Depends on where you live, of course. Expect it to be available worldwide in late July/early August.

1. Is the digital amplifier makes a real difference? (Usually I don’t use the amp).

2. Can I record radio with the 800 or just hear it.

3. Can I get a solution to my radio needs with the 900? Maybe with a different remote?

Welcome. :happy:

Digital amps do make a difference. Read more about them here: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=4223

You can only listen to the radio remote; you cannot record from it.

There is no solution to your radio remote woes + the NH900, only the NHF800 will be able to operate it.

Projected date is July/August here as well and 400 Euros is possible for the remote parts of Europe...

However, noone hinders you from ordering in Germany, Directshopper.de has it listed for 305 Euros including Salestax.

Add 28 Euros postage to that and they will send it to Finland. You have to pay in advance, no C.O.D.

So, for 333 Euros, you can have it.

Note: It says 7-10 days on the catalog page, that is wrong! the NH900 is not yet available.

The shipping info:

http://www.directshopper.de/static_versand_info_en

They weren't able to tell me anything, as the unit is not out yet. I don't think you'll be able to get a straight answer as the only units people I know have tested are beta and weren't the final build. Sadly Breepee, I don't think you'll get the answer to your question until the unit is released.

Mutant 1345

i like ss2 but i was wondering.....is it possible to use realone player since it is possible to with the NetMD's to record with a hi md player????  

that's a good question but seeing i don't have a HI MD unit yet could u like try it out n c if it works n let me know..

but i have a feeling it will work seeing that it's the same techonology..but i'm wondering if the real player thing just had to do with sony listing those former NET MD units to b identified on their program as portable devices.. cuz as u may know u other audio apps like Music Match Jukebox, Win Media Player n Winamp don't recognize the NET MDs...

n speaking of which have ne one tried using other makes of NET MD with real player did it recognize the units n did successful transfers etc.....

hi,

i live in the uk and was wondering:

1) Whats the advantage of getting a hi-md (i would go for the nhf800 model - is it about £200, right?) over an atrac3plus cd player (like the d-ne10), apart from the size and radio? the top-end cd player is about £130

2) When will the MZ-NHF800 be available in the uk, because sony.co.uk still says 1st of june, but i have seen no sign of it.

3) Whats the sound quality like, i know that 64kbps atrac3plus is basically the same as 128k mp3, but some cd players will reproduce the sound better than others, and i assume minidiscs are the same.

Would the mhz-800 playing 64k atrac3plus out through speakers sound the same as the 128k mp3 played on the same speakers from a computer?

Thanks a lot, hope that made sense!

1.) You get a USB-data drive. You get a recorder, so you can record off a radio/cd-player/microphone, so you don't need a computer to add music to your collection.

2.) Expect July, maybe August.

3.) 128kMP3 sounds better.

When transferring onto MD, use LP2@132k or Hi-SP, then you're fine. However, the same is true for Sony's Atrac-CD-player.