Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread? [part II]

Rate this topic

Christopher

Which is probably true, doc. After looking at Amazon's UK page and seeing the availability of the black NH900 [whereas NO US e-tailer has had it pictured], it may be that the UK gets the cream of the crop. I don't even know if Japan will see the NH900, at least not when they debut.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EU crippled? If Senator Orrin Hatch has his go, then the US will be crippled...

See here:

http://www.publicknowledge.org/content/pre...release-6-23-04

the bill is here(pdf):

http://www.publicknowledge.org/content/leg...-act/attachment

Act now! Write to your Senator to block that.

---------------------------------------------

@Kurisu: I suggest, that this is posted on the minidisc.org front page.

Well the units are already in their near final form so it'd be at least the second generation of Sony US Hi-MD units that would be hypothetically crippled. I'm safe with a US NH900 for now, but if indeed the black color variation(s) is only available in Europe then I won't get it [unless teamdigital snags NH900 variations available to Eurasia]. I really don't like silver units anymore, so that would mean I'd just wait for the other companies to throw down, or try the higher-end [NH3D, etc]. A blue unit would be keen, methinks..

Damnit, so now these are my final Hi-MD crossroads: NH900 [in non-silver], NH1 [for remote and bite my tounge about silver units], NH3D [blue] or another company.

Skytherx tsk..tsk.. ne who

i had my eyes set on a black NH900 2 i detest silver units or atleast the units that everone else have cuz they lack individuality....

and as for MD units reaching the end of the road i doubt that will happen ..Sony might just kill the ability to record from other sourses n just leave the data port on the units therefore probably forcing us to purchase music to record..well that would just about put MDs on the same wavelength with MP3 players..n then on who knows what's gonna b MDs fate...well .. if they wanna cripple America n the economy cut their own throats y don't they....

it's soo sad.... :sad:

I have tried to download and install Sonic Stage 2.0 from sony's site multiple times, but keep getting the same message every time "Cannot install for this Windows version" even though i have Win 98SE which it says is supported. I guess I should just wait for the installation disc that comes with the unit. Will 2.1 be shipping or available for update online with the units coming out in July?

Are any drivers or software required on a PC for the Hi-MD player to be used as a removable storage device (drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer, for example)?

It would be quite handy to be able to transfer files on it between University computers (where I don't have the necessary rights to install drivers), and my home PC.

A word or two about the radio of the NHF800:

First, the frequency range covers the same range here in Europe, so FM is fine.

Sound quality might be impaired, as Europe uses a 100kHz channel grid, while in the US, the channels are 300kHz apart and the filter is selected for that.

AM-range is bigger than here in Europe and the 9kHz steps is there as well, so that works too.

So that leaves us with the Weather/TV range of the US-Model. It allows to listen to private and police communications and that is prohibited in several european states.

So check local laws before importing the US version.

The canadian version is less problematic, as the Weather/TV range isn't there.

In most cases it will not be necessary, but it depends on the O/S.

Most modern OS supporting USB removable or Mass Media Drives will support HiMD as a native Mass Media. This would include WinXP, Win2K (SP3 or later, I believe), Mac OSX (Latest version was reported to be working to some degree, not sure wholly), etc. Linux with proper support should work but I'm not sure if anyone has tried it yet.

As another related point, it seems like a PC could conceivably boot off of HiMD provided it could go through the entire format process (or is copied with proper boot-up files) but to date, no one has tried this yet. Anyone care to try? Of course, your mainboard has to support boot from USB devices in the first place.

That's it.

As another related point, it seems like a PC could conceivably boot off of HiMD provided it could go through the entire format process (or is copied with proper boot-up files) but to date, no one has tried this yet.  Anyone care to try?  Of course, your mainboard has to support boot from USB devices in the first place.

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=4207

[read the last page, specifically the_stamp's post]

Anyone knows yet if the back of the 900 is metal or plastic?

No confirmation yet. Looks like it may be plastic, but the consensus isn't sure about this yet. The only way we'll know is when it's released.

Yes, I'm lurking here for a few days while I get my system and things sorted out.

Linux with proper support should work but I'm not sure if anyone has tried it yet.

I don't see why it would not work, as long as you don't use a kernel provided by a distro that doesn't have the proper vfat/scsi/usb built in (since I assume most other distros just build a huge fscking kernel to support everything instead of what I use). Plug it into the USB port, and it should be detected as sda1 or sdb1 or something to that effect.

## note the "#" sign. yes, you must be root when creating the mountpoint

# su

# mkdir /mnt/sda1

# vim /etc/fstab

## add entries to fstab to allow for normal user to be able to read

## quit vim, or whatever your editor of choice was

# : wq

# exit

$ mount /mnt/sda1[/code]

As another related point, it seems like a PC could conceivably boot off of HiMD provided it could go through the entire format process (or is copied with proper boot-up files) but to date, no one has tried this yet.  Anyone care to try?  Of course, your mainboard has to support boot from USB devices in the first place.

Somehow set GRUB to chainload to the device, for those that don't have mainboard booting. If it does support booting from USB, I don't see how much different it would be from using a 128MB USB-drive to load the essentials like kernel and crap. Need MBR?

Be quite slow, though.

---

Edit: Better yet, this. Replace USB <---> Hi-MD.

[read the last page, specifically the_stamp's post]

No user by the name of "the_stamp". MadDuck?

Damn, same timestamp as admin. boo.

Give me a Hi-MD unit, and I'll have it working perfectly with Win95 and something older than a PII 300 if I can find the hardware.

I've seen plenty of etailers advertising that you get a HI-MD disc included with your purchase but have also heard a few reports of no disc included when they opened their package.

Does anyone know if a 1 gig disc is included or not? I'm purchasing the MZ-NH1 from datavis. Just trying to decide if I should pick up a pack of 80 min discs to have something to use when I get it in.

I think this is going to happen. MZNH1 will be first released in Japan,Europe and Australia. US market will first see MZNH900,800.

Then,US will get MZNH1 and other countries will get MZNH900,800.

This is what I gathered just by looking at different supply sources, web sites etc. May be wrong? What do you think?