Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread? [part II]

Rate this topic

Christopher

MZNH600 was released in Australia about 2 weeks ago.. Some stores still have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them, have you got the new Hi-Md?

A report in the newspaper said the other models will come out later this month... It also had a pic of the NH1, claiming it was the NH600, for $399... what a shock people will get lol when they check it out.. NH1 will retail for $799AUD

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MZNH600 was released in Australia about 2 weeks ago.. Some stores still have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them, have you got the new Hi-Md?

A report in the newspaper said the other models will come out later this month... It also had a pic of the NH1, claiming it was the NH600, for $399... what a shock people will get lol when they check it out.. NH1 will retail for $799AUD

Yeah I have checked MZNH600 at the local SonyCentral store,and wasn't really impressed by the look/feel of it. It's a big plastic chunk compared to nice finish of previous generation NetMD's. $799 price tag on MZNH1 looks bit unreasonable to me given current exchange rate of aussie dollar ,but then again you can get 10 % discount at SonyCentral and I am quite sure that you can get much better price through on-line stores in Australia.

Cheers

Yeah I have checked MZNH600 at the local SonyCentral store,and wasn't really impressed by the look/feel of it. It's a big plastic chunk compared to nice finish of previous generation NetMD's. $799 price tag on MZNH1 looks bit unreasonable to me given current exchange rate of aussie dollar ,but then again you can get 10 % discount at SonyCentral and I am quite sure that you can get much better price through on-line stores in Australia.

Which area are you from? If you are in Australia, you can buy the NH1 off audiocubes.com for about $635. I'm not getting mine for a few months, until I go to Japan, but now if I bought it from Japan it would cost me $595 AUD.. I think it just depends on where you are atm

Which area are you from? If you are in Australia, you can buy the NH1 off audiocubes.com for about $635. I'm not getting mine for a few months, until I go to Japan, but now if I bought it from Japan it would cost me $595 AUD.. I think it just depends on where you are atm

I live in Adelaide. Just today I spoke with someone from Sony and they have told me that MZNH1 won't be available here in Australia until the end of August. mellow.gif Plains sucks. I am considering ordering it from Japan

now.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is the Sonic Stage that comes with the MD Player the same as the downloadable one that's on Connect.com?

As far as I'm concerned, it apparently does. For currently released MZNH600/D its SS 2.0. There were some rumors that MZNH1 released in Japan would come with Sonic Stage 2.1, but reading from Japan-direct web site it still comes with version 2.0. I think, from now on,there will be more frequent updates to SonicStage software in future as it became centerpiece software for Sony's digital downloads from its Connect on-line store. (ala. iTunes). During NetMD era there weren't that many updates and software was (still is) crappy. I personally, would like to see, easing of some stupid upload restrictions imposed by current version.

August?!?!? 0.o here in Syd they're saying sumtime this month the NH1 would come in...but no matter i'm getting mine from Japan anyways...i want my Kanji support ... mad.gif

That's the word from Sony representative. I have also looked at some aussie on-line stores and they all have 07-08 ship date. Anyway I also decided to order mine from Japan on Monday. I'll use oportunity to order gold colour model :cool: that won't be available here in Australia.

Hehehe... I'm getting the gold one too! Lol Australia.. bloody July-August, that's what I got told from a Sony Style store operator as well.. 

Hey Doc Z.. where are you ordering your's from??

Japan Direct. I have expirienced very good service from these guys.

TIP. Before you order,send them an e-mail as to ask for the quote or something. You may be able to save few bucks,as they quoted me 20 bucks less than price specified on their web site. wink.gif

http://www.japan-direct.com/cartitem.asp?prodid=560

I emailed MiniDisc Canada again to confirm that their MD units are made in malaysia...and a rep from MD Canada replied with "All MD units are made in Malaysia" <---- :wacky: mellow.gif But the other day i emailed sony canada and us, they said that sony in each country is respoonsible for sales/support(and making their own units). Which one is right????

I currently own a Sharp MD MT190, which has 10mW output. I'm am planning to by a Sony NH900. I live in the EU, so the unit will have 3mW ouput. How does that compare against my Sharp? Is has 30 steps of adjusting the volume. Is the Sony on max volume comparable to my Sharp at volume 10?

Hola! First post. Hope you're all well out there!

I have been checking out the NH1 and NH3D HiMD models and one significant problem, from my point of view, is the battery life.

I travel a lot (typically a week or more at a stretch) and the long battery life of more recent MD units has been a real bonus. I usually don't need to pack a charger, which is super.

With the NH1 and NH3D models it looks like you would have to pack both the charging stand and a transformer! I usually travel with a laptop but that doesn't help since the units don't recharge over USB.

Am I missing something? After years of battery life optimisation in MD portables, the latest and greatest seems to have taken a few steps backward in this regard.

Does anybody know if there are any solutions to this one?

Simplistic options would be a higher capacity battery or a dedicated USB cable that actually supported charging. This would have to come from Sony, I guess, so we'll probably be waiting...

Another solution might be to replace the transformer with one of those USB cables that basically provides a DC out (used for charging mobile phones, for example). You'd still have to carry the charge stand but that shouldn't be too heavy. However I don't know if USB can provide the required level of juice?

Any other ideas?

I live in the EU, so the unit will have 3mW ouput. How does that compare against my Sharp? Is has 30 steps of adjusting the volume. Is the Sony on max volume comparable to my Sharp at volume 10?

I can tell you right now that it will not preform as well as your Sharp. It may come close if you turn the volume all the way up, but the actual sound you hear won't be as "full". I would suggest you may want to try your hand at importing a NH900..

Hola! First post. Hope you're all well out there!

Welcome to the forums. :happy:

Am I missing something? After years of battery life optimisation in MD portables, the latest and greatest seems to have taken a few steps backward in this regard.

You must realize we're on the doorstep of this new technology and it hasn't even started down the path of maturity. I would suggest if you do have qualms with the battery life and such of these units that maybe investing in the decreasing cost of higher-end MD [not Hi-MD] units would be a better route.

Simplistic options would be a higher capacity battery..

Or you could just get a NH900 [which has an AA add-on pack].

Another solution might be to replace the transformer with one of those USB cables that basically provides a DC out (used for charging mobile phones, for example).

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=5121

I emailed MiniDisc Canada again to confirm that their MD units are made in malaysia...and a rep from MD Canada replied with "All MD units are made in Malaysia" <----  :wacky:   mellow.gif  But the other day i emailed sony canada and us, they said that sony in each country is respoonsible for sales/support(and making their own units). Which one is right????

MZNH1 is made in Japan(for all markets right now). MZNH800,MZNH700,MZNH600 are made in Malaysia. MZNH900 is still mystery to me, hope it will be MADE IN JAPAN.

MZNH1 is made in Japan(for all markets right now). MZNH800,MZNH700,MZNH600 are made in Malaysia. MZNH900 is still mystery to me, hope it will be MADE IN JAPAN.

Source that NH1 is made in Japan for all markets? Plus...I need a jap model NH1 since most of my songs are in Japanese.

Anzsilver dude. If you need Kanji support then import your MZNH1 directly from Japan. Only Japanese domestic model has this and :laugh: it's made in Japan :ninja: . Not Malaysia. See even Japs don't trust them to make high end models. :rasp:

Side note:

Malaysians are very neat,hard working people with very high work ethics and motivation.