Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread? [part III]

Rate this topic

Christopher

Continued from this thread: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=4998

Not to be pretentious, but I know alot of Hi-MD [and so do some of the regulars]. I also notice that in threads people will come in and ask questions about Hi-MD in a thread that is related to such, but not what's related to the actual topic, etc.

So, as a Hi-MD guru, I will entertain all one-liners here! Feel free to ask me anything. If your question is more than one line, please post a thread instead!

:happy:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the NH1 manual, it says Headphone: 5mW+5mW (16 ohm)

obviously, they are taking about the ones that comes with the unit.

Now, if I hook up the NH1 with the MDR-V600, and its spec is:

# Frequency Response: 5Hz - 30kHz Rated Power: 500mW

# Maximum Power Handling Capacity: 1,000mW

============

What would be the output Power from the NH1 to the V600? Would it be 500mW?

As well, what would be the Power max. out? Would it be 1000 mW?

In other words, there ought to be a max. output power from the NH1 to any headphone, what is that output power?

I'm aware of that. But when they said 5mW, does it mean:

1) That's the rated power of the ENCLOSED headphone set?

Or

2) That's the max. output power of the main NH1 unit to ANY headphone?

Because if you read the next page of the manual, it says Option: MDR series headphone. Surely Sony knows the difference on the demand of power between the cheap one that comes with the unit vs. the MDR series.

Because if you read the next page of the manual, it says Option: MDR series headphone.  Surely Sony knows the difference on the demand of power between the cheap one that comes with the unit vs. the MDR series.

My guess is that the 5mW is more than enough to power cheaper headphones to even higher class earbuds... of course any monitor/DJ 'phones would demand a lot more. I think the demanding 'phones will still work, except the extreme frequency ranges might slightly lose clarity and volume.

It seems a desparate attempt for Sony to sell their MDR series, knowing that their portable MD can't power the MDR to its full range & capacity.

All headphones made by Sony are designated MDR-.

I have a pair of MDR-EX71SL earbuds with 9mm drivers that play well even on the miniscule 5mW+5mW headphone amp of my Sony MZ-N10. I set the volume around 15-16 out of 30 in moderate ambient noise conditions, sometimes bumping it up or down a notch if the acoustic conditions of my environment change.

Pretty much any 'phones with 16-24 ohms of impedance should work okay with MD units. I'm not sure about the higher-resisting 'phones, though. I've never used anything but earbuds (which are mostly 16 or 24 ohms), as I don't like open-types or "eggos."

Reading the NH1 manual, it says Headphone: 5mW+5mW (16 ohm)

That is a misleading statement (seemingly a trend in Sony user manuals). It really means headphone amplifier.

The signal produced by the NH1's amplifier is rated at 5mW per channel with 16 ohms impedance. Using a pair of headphones with higher impedance will reduce the power of the signal and, incidentally, the volume of the headphones.

but but.. what if sharp don't make any units for the next year...then then.... mellow.gif:sad: ..

uhh i'm trying to find a software to like edit all my music... i hate slow music and i'm getting an ipod :grin: so at the moment i'm in sound forge manually changing the pitch of all my songs..when on earth am i gonna done that huh.gif

any suggestions..????

I currently have a pre-computer connected MD recorder. If I get a HI-MD recorder and put in one of my regular discs, will it be able to copy the music from the old disc into my computer, so I can transfer it to one of the new HI-MD discs, do I have to go back to my CD's and recopy all the music?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find anything on the subject.

I currently have a pre-computer connected MD recorder.  If I get a HI-MD recorder and put in one of my regular discs, will it be able to copy the music from the old disc into my computer, so I can transfer it to one of the new HI-MD discs, do I have to go back to my CD's and recopy all the music? 

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find anything on the subject.

nope, you gotta do it in real time. sucks dont it?

Hi,

As an new HI-MD user I am rather worried about 2 things:

1) The much spoken-of inability to translate my .omg recordings to something more accessable, like .wav. :sad: Really dissappointed by that - but who is not?

2) The fact that my laptop's CD-player is broken :ninja: , apparently by the use of SonicStage software!!! I used a music-CD as music-source and 'recorded' the tracks on it using SS. The software kept asking for letting it 'check the CD-drive for its recording capacity' (or something). When I finally gave in (after having clicked away the pop-up repeatedly), a whistling-noise came from the CD-drive. It kept recording, but gave errors more often. Now it does nothing at all, not even play a CD or CD-ROM. mad.gif Distress!!!!

Any likewise experiences??

greetings,

Albin

Hi..

Welcome to the forums. :grin:

1) The much spoken-of inability to translate my .omg recordings to something more accessable, like .wav.  :sad: Really dissappointed by that - but who is not?

You can upload your recorded tracks, though - in realtime. Just use the USB playback feature and then facilitate that playback/recording with a program such as TotalRecorder, Adobe Audition, or Audacity. This has been discussed a great deal lately and I recommend you search - it's not such a bad process! :happy:

2) The fact that my laptop's CD-player is broken  :ninja: , apparently by the use of SonicStage software!!! I used a music-CD as music-source and 'recorded' the tracks on it using SS. The software kept asking for letting it 'check the CD-drive for its recording capacity' (or something). When I finally gave in (after having clicked away the pop-up repeatedly), a whistling-noise came from the CD-drive. It kept recording, but gave errors more often. Now it does nothing at all, not even play a CD or CD-ROM. mad.gif  Distress!!!!

I'm not so sure if Sonicstage can break a CD player :wacky:, but then again I wouldn't be surprised. I would suggest you uninstall via the directions in the NetMD faq [found in the NetMD forum], and then install a fresh copy from connect-europe.com. Make sure you do exactly what the FAQ says first! Also, I recommend you may want to try Simple Burner 2. Search for it. :happy:

i have a question......I had lost all the music on my hi md disc randomley one night and i have no clue why but heres the events that happened with it before.....i had just put on my 336th track onto the disc and i shut down my computer for the night (during the recording my hi- md player got bumped around, just a little nudge while recording) i tested the recording and it played fine as most of the others i checked.....anywayes....the next afternoon i turn on my hi md and it starts reading the disc only to apear with the message "Cannot Read Or Burn To Disc"!!! i was angry confused and sad at the same time can anyone explain why thiis happened

and nnot to menchon the difficulty with SS2.0 trying to reput all the music onto my computer what i backed up with the backup tool not playing back or recording onto any disc untill i upgraded to 2.1 which made everything better....

Suggestion: unplug your Hi-MD from the USB cable / take it out of the dock before turning the computer on or off, or resetting/rebooting it.

In fact.. unhook it except for when you actually need to read or write to/from discs.

I have seen some oddities so far, such as if I reboot with the unit plugged in to the computer, the computer can't finish its POST until it's unplugged.

Does Hi-MD resolve the old file transfer issue? In other words, if I insert an old disk that I originally recorded with a microphone, will the Hi-MD player allow the files to be digitally transferred to a computer (Windows XP) connected with a USB cable? (Sorry if this has already been answered. I am new here.)

couple of questions

1. is it a 1GB mini disk or is it the ability to store compressed music which otherwise (uncompressed) would be 1GB's worth?

am i making sense, cos i think sony are sly sometimes and need to check. This might help: can i store a full 1GB of video on the HI-MD disk?

2. same for the normal MD's can i store 300MB (or so) of video on it?

3. oh can you store anything??

i can answer most of these for you but excuse me if i dont fully understand question 1.

1. it is a 1 gb minidisc that can store 1gb of music in atrac format and the amount pends on wha bitrate you use (48kbps 64kbps 256kbps or any of the older atrac3 formats)

you can store 1 gb of data aswell (980 MB or something) by drag and droping it onto the drive as if it were like an external drive (usb key or whatnot)

2. yes after formating the old mds you can store 300 MB of data on them (295 MB to be exact) and the same thing goes for puting data on those.

3. the above answeres should give this one away...

I Have A question about the hi md remotes ....what is the best price for a hi md remote that would fully work with the 600D that wont kill my wallet....im looking for something around 40-55 dollars at most....please inform me... :smile:  thanx

Here ya go. :happy:

RM-MC33EL remote for Sony portable MD units.

Fifty bucks. Pretty decent little remote, too.

Thanks, got another question

Is the 3 line remote compatible with the 600D (basic model) ?

from the pics it seems that 600D doesnt have a remote control slot, but people on here have said it is

oh and if i have video stored on an md, can i play it straight off the md player or do i have to save it to the computer?

thanks for your help