Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread? [part III]

Rate this topic

Christopher

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my nh1 today. The usb lead has 2 of those heavy "lumps" ( are they called rf chokes?!) wrapped round the cable at each end. ( Also 2 or 3 spares for other cables eg line in are in the box) They are detachable - does anyone know how vital it is to leave these on?? Would be much more convenient to carry cable around without these huge ( and heavy ) lumps!!??

If you use that link, minidisc.org will garner a small sum from the sale and that money will be used for server upgrades and stuff - with no additional cost to you.

okay kurisu ill use that link then

Just got my nh1 today. The usb lead has 2 of those heavy "lumps" ( are they called rf chokes?!) wrapped round the cable at each end. ( Also 2 or 3 spares for other cables eg line in are in the box) They are detachable - does anyone know how vital it is to leave these on?? Would be much more convenient to carry cable around without these huge ( and heavy ) lumps!!??

well i didnt even bother to use that cable i baught a smaller cable that is maybe 2 inches long which i found much more convieniant for transfer of files and music on the go the cab;e also stretches out to the length of a regular cable so it works both ways

Hi mutant 1345

You say you got another shorter cable. Isnt the connector at the nh1 end something of a non standard / sony proprietry plug??  Are these readily available etc?? Thanks.

He's talking about a different unit.

The NH1 has one USB cable, and one alone, since it is proprietary.

Although I believe you can use the N10 cable with it, but I dunno if it has the correct pins for providing power to the unit while it's connected via USB.

oh woops i wasnt thinking about the nh1 so i guess i wouldnt be able to say much there i dont have an nh1 sorryy.....

now i want to ask something once again because i like asking questions :grin:

it is imposible to transfer PCM format to the hi md untis via usb...i know this...but seeing as how PCM is a format that is similar to cd quality wouldnt it be possible to transfer in PCM via usb in a version of MD Simple Burner since its a transfer straight to md from pc? it would just need to be converted to pcm right? although i might be missing a key part to y sony hasnt chosen to do this

I seem to be having trouble getting SS to record tracks in Hi-SP, there's no option to make it transfer it Hi-Sp, so every time the MP3 in my computer is transferred to MD in Hi-LP by default, and quite frankly, it sounds horrible. Is there any way to get SS to transfer it Hi-SP, or am I gonna have to do it real-time?

Select Standard transfer (the fourth button between the windows), in that dialogue it is the upper radiobutton.

Check the files in the library for their properties, select the File Info tab in that dialogue. It should state OpenMG Audio(Atrac3plus) under File format and 256 kbs right to "Bit Rate".

If not, delete the tracks from the libraries and reimport them again. When deleting, check the "Remove from my Library" and mark the "Delete OpemMG-Files" as well. Don't mark the "Delete non-OpenMG-Files" box!

Don't convert after importing.

Finally, click Transfer mode again, select Standard transfer mode, click on Details, and select "Convert automatically and transfer" and in the listbox select "ATRAC3Plus 256kbs".

Whe you transfer then the files are automatically converted to Hi-SP.

Subsequent transfers are done without converting.

it is imposible to transfer PCM format to the hi md untis via usb...i know this...but seeing as how PCM is a format that is similar to cd quality wouldnt it be possible to transfer

It is eminently possible to record in PCM via usb.

1. Record cd into SS in "Openmg PCM" format

2. Transfer in "Standard" mode to MD

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but nuclear is very poluting lots of waste is created that cant be gotten rid of in any way for thousands of years

:laugh:

If my country would deal with fission fragments intelligently, you would be wrong. Sadly, though, you are correct.

Sinking a concrete vault 2 kilometers beneath parts of the desert in the southwest would be the way to go, using sealed containers filled with a concrete backwall.

Now let's get back on topic, plzkthnx. :happy:

hello

just picked up the remote that i ordered from audiocubes.com and i would like to thank aeriyn for recomending the remote to me i love it and i did use the link to allow some of the money to go to mdcf, but i was wondering about the battery dranage on the remote itself assuming i never use the lcd backlight....if my average battery life is about 23-24 houres can someone give me a ballpark answere as to how many houres this thing will deminish off my players battery? i apoligize if this has been asked already in the many old remote threads , but i did search them...

Just wondering, is there any other way to charge the MZ-NH1 than putting it on its docking station and powering it up through there. Is there a cigarette lighter cord for the car? Or say your going overseas and you don't want to take the base, is there a cord you can buy to plug it straight into the wall power?

AHAHAHA, nice aeriyn tongue.gif

Mmmm, I think it is pretty stupid that you HAVE to have the stand to recharge the battery.  Sony probably hope we'll buy the extra batteries for $40! :|

That's actually not a real wonderful idea either... Li-Ion batteries don't take well to being stored (several months) with a full charge. The battery would oxidize and no longer function.

That, however, is not nearly as bad as empty Li-Ions... the lithium can plate in the battery and possibly explode.

Overcharging Li-Ions can also make them explode, which is why all Li-Ion batteries are "smart" batteries, i.e. the charger won't charge past a certain voltage. NiMH simply charge for a set time period.

Don't know if this happened to anyone else, but after I installed SS 2.1 my computer would display a folder called "Common" on startup. System resources also started getting a little strained.

After a little investigation, I found that SS slipped itself into Windows to run in the background on every startup. This is unnecessary.

How to fix it:

Start-Run--type in: msconfig Open the Startup tap and uncheck OMGstartup. (While you're in there, see if there's anything else running in Startup that's unnecessary.)

Sonic Stage still runs as usual when you click on it.

Hope this isnt too far off topic!? Got an NH1 - very pleased etc. BUT.... am very keen on the Sony hard drive player NW-HD1 too. My question is this. Some US stockists/reviews mention a remote. Most euro stockists/review say no remote. The manual I downloaded shows the socket(s) - just same as on my NH1 but no mention of any remote. Can anyone confirm one way or another please. I understand a neck lanyard can be used with it so I would actually use it with just a short cable set of earbuds and control everything via the player. But all this "provision" for a remote has confused me!! ( Silly question - I dont suppose my NH1 remote (or even my old N1 remote) would work with the HD1?? )