HiMD.. models are out.. can owners verify features?

Rate this topic

larry_llama

I see that all models are now trickling into consumers' hands... can any owners answer:

- Does any model have backlit level meters (i.e. meters on remote OR backlit main unit LCD)?

- Can you change record levels manually? and can you do so whilst recording is in progress?

- Can you easily upload PCM recordings to PC in wave format? And how long does it take?

Any links to detailed reviews/pics would also be appreciated.

Thanks to all the pioneers out there buying the first gen machines!

-LL

I have the MZ-NH700. Its remote has no display, nor is its body's display backlit, which can be a pain but I've been working with equipment like this for so long that it doesn't matter much to me. I was also restricted by my budget.

Manual record levels: it doesn't remember the setting, which I still hate Sony for after all these years, but at least now it -does- leave the jog shuttle as the record level control while recording; you can change it any time you like, without having to pause.

Uploading: I don't know if you've been following any of the other threads here, but no, there is no way to upload in the clear, and there never will be.

Sony claim that they will be releasing a tool to decrypt tracks uploaded into SonicStage - only ones made from analogue sources. If that's to be taken literally, then SCMS 00 [first-gen digital] tracks will not be usable through their tool. Hopefully this tool comes out soon.

My current upload procedure is to use SonicStage to get the tracks the my PC, then use Total Recorder to copy them digitally [in real time, no acceleration here] to files that I can edit. It's time consuming, but it does work, and there shouldn't be any loss if TR works the way it claims to.

As far as upload times go, it took me about 15 minutes to move 43 minutes worth of tracks from a Hi-MD disc to my computer the other night - so it appears that it will transfer at roughly 2.5-3X speed. [The tracks were LPCM, I haven't tried it with atrac3+ stuff yet as I haven't even tried recording with it at all.]

I posted a review of my new unit a few days ago, it should be on the 2nd page of the forum if it hasn't already been moved to the reviews forum.

Cheers,

I see that all models are now trickling into consumers' hands... can any owners answer:

- Does any model have backlit level meters (i.e. meters on remote OR backlit main unit LCD)?

- Can you change record levels manually? and can you do so whilst recording is in progress?

- Can you easily upload PCM recordings to PC in wave format? And how long does it take?

Any links to detailed reviews/pics would also be appreciated.

Thanks to all the pioneers out there buying the first gen machines!

-LL

Yes.MZNH1 does have backlit level meter. :cool: It looks really good.

Nah MZNH1 on-unit display won't show much at all  :grin: . It's the remote that shows it. Yes remote is backlight.For other HI-MD models, don't really know.  :huh:  

I'll try to take a photo of VU meter tonite.

Cheers

Backlight:

NH1

NH900

The other units all lack a backlight on the remote (or in the case of NH600, a remote at all).

Does MZNH900 display VU meters on main unit-display?

The VU meter is on the unit itself, however I like to leave the backlight of my RM-MC40ELK remote on during short recording seissions and watch the meter! hehe...

Would we be able to display them on MZH1 remote if we attached it to the other Hi-MD players,like MZNH700,800,900?

"Basic" text such as artist/album/track will work, NH1 remote (RM-MC40ELK) does the line sorting on its own. However I think the VU meter stays on the unit itself.

www.av-land.co.uk says the MZH900 has a "Built in Alarm function"

ive searched the 900's manual and didn't find anything about it, or any match for the word "alarm"

so does it really have this feature?

if it does.... is it a countdown-timer type alarm (ie you can set it to go off in 35 minutes)

or like an alarm clock, where you can set a time of day (ie setting it to go off at 5:00 PM)

thanks...

• 4 weeks later...