Computer = assassinated.

Rate this topic

Christopher

So,

..my girlfriend's brother just got the final components to build his computer, a rinkydink Athlon XP 2600+ with a K7S5A Pro motherboard. Decent combo for his usual emulating practices. I oversaw him build a new computer, case, mobo, processor, heatsink, etc etc and it all goes well..or so it seems. The end is finally upon us and the computer is plugged in. When you do this often [build computers], you come to hate that moment when you plug it in for the first time - seeing if all your work paid off or not. It's an odd feeling of disparity.

He looked at me and said, "Hold on to your butts." - referring to that cheesy line from Jurassic Park. We both grinned and..

Well, it didn't boot. Something was wrong, quite wrong indeed. The processor, the Athlon 2600xp, was too much [speed wise, but there's a catch] for this little motherboard - and this could be cured by a flash of the bios; granted you could actually run a disk in DOS. He couldn't do so, so for some stupid reason I suggest we take my processor and put it in his mobo [a compatible one]

My friends had just arrived, so I was hanging out with them whilst he did so, and a weird sense came over me. I knew something was wrong. Bloody wrong - and I just wanted to enjoy a nice draft.

He was sitting there in my room, looking at the computer and he had this expression I'll never forget. I was able to tell right then and there that it was broken. A silent glance that spoke volumes.

We troubleshot it a little bit, and then he revealed he tried to use a screwdriver to get the processor out! I knew it was all over then. The worst part was yet to come though..

My girlfriend, who owned the computer.

Well, it wasn't pretty, that's all I'll say. At least I'll have a computer at work, and it gives me a good time to upgrade to an Athlon64. I still hate unforseen expenses, though - and it just sucks.

When you do this often [build computers], you come to hate that moment when you plug it in for the first time - seeing if all your work paid off or not. It's an odd feeling of disparity.

It's a strange sensation alright, and it's more acute when it's somebody else machine you've built, and they're standing next to you.

We troubleshot it a little bit, and then he revealed he tried to use a screwdriver to get the processor out! I knew it was all over then.

I guess he damaged the motherboard aswell then, it's lucky there wasn't a claw hammer lying around, else he would've taken your cards and drives out aswell.

He overdrafted his bank account, so he won't be able to compensate me for weeks. I really wanted to get a NH900 or at least live comfortably this paycheck, but I'm forced to spend it on a computer. Blagh..and I had just purchased some heatsinks and stuff off newegg. When they get here, I'm just going to be like.."Noooo."

So, any recommendations? I don't even know what my budget is - I may have to wait till my next paycheck before I can purchase something I'd be comfortable with [no need to get something crappy].

I think that I'm going to get this [i'm just going to throw everything else that's necessary from my old config as that's all ok]:

- ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe" NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754

- AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor

- Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430"

..but now I need a case - and I'm having alot of trouble deciding which one. Any recommendations? I don't want to do more than $50 - $75.

Kurisu buddy.. well .. when i first saw this sayo case i was like DAMN that's a sexy case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7&Sku=S450-4010

but if you're into the neon lights and stuff you could have a pic outa these others http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...lc.asp?CatId=32

and i'm sure you'll find *some* of these prices more than attractive :cool:

Thanks crazey, but my girl wasn't too keen on either [although they have some crazy ass cases in that second link]. The possibilities with this new mobo/processor are pretty good. It's not the best system in the world but it's definitely going to do very well in the games I play.

I think I decided on a case:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-144-026&depa=0

Any comments on my soon-to-be rig? I'd love some feedback.

p.s. Cori, I might go with a Raidmax, too..they have some really slick stuff.

Duh, it was my recommendation. *cough* Someone didn't give me credit *cough*.

Oh yeah, why are you buying a case with a PSU inside? Might as well just have bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-129-127&depa=0

Nice quiet case with 120mm fan exhaust/intlets and a 380W truepower PSU built in. You can then scrap the 430W truepower and save a few bucks there.

If you already bought the case above, remove the side fan or run it at a really low RPM. Having a fan force air down on your CPU HSF will create air turbulence and give you extra wear + tear on your fan bearings, cause more noise and possibly give you negative effects with your airflow.

Hmm, the mobo/cpu are good, the case looks as ugly as hell..

Really? Search around and look at some IRL shots of it. Doesn't look too bad at night. :sleep: It's the only one my girl and I could agree on, though.

Duh, it was my recommendation. *cough* Someone didn't give me credit *cough*.

Eep, I didn't even mention your name once! Well, I really appreciate all the help you gave me and you know when I'm back to fraggin' you'll be in my thoughts. :happy:

Oh yeah, why are you buying a case with a PSU inside?

I'm still getting that Antec PSU, I just don't want the PSU that comes with the Aspire case. I'll probably sell it locally or something like that.

If you already bought the case above, remove the side fan or run it at a really low RPM. Having a fan force air down on your CPU HSF will create air turbulence and give you extra wear + tear on your fan bearings, cause more noise and possibly give you negative effects with your airflow.

Thanks for the tip, I value your words. Any other recommendations? My girl likes the lights and stuff.

Really? Search around and look at some IRL shots of it. Doesn't look too bad at night. :sleep: It's the only one my girl and I could agree on, though.

I have. A local computershop has it on display in the shops window.

I wasn't impressed...

On the other paw, our taste seem to go in different directions, so here is my next case:

http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?action=...ewPD&prdid=1195

Well, I bought the case [i know jadeclaw, I know..:rasp:], mobo, cpu, psu and a few other accessories. Should all get here either Saturday or next Monday. I'm pretty excited, as I've had to use a old 200mhz machine at home for the time being - a very frustrating experience!

I shall be buying a graphics card next week..most likely a Radeon 9800pro 256mb/256mbit. If all goes well I may completely disappear off the the face of the 'net and submerge myself in RPG's and such 24-7. :happy:

I'll be sure to post pics of all the new goodies.

I have the same aspire case with the temp display on the front. I've had it for about a year now and it works fine. Mine doesn't have the six leds on the fornt but it did come with the blue fan. The case fit all the parts ok, but I had to replace the fan with one that has bearings. I also took some thumd screws off of an old 286 computer case and put those on the side panels so I wouldn't need a screw driver to get to the guts. Mine came with a cheap power supply(350 watts), I got the case with the power supply for $38.00 off of newegg. It's not that well built of a case but if you want to get a better built one you have to spend alot more. Evercase makes an awsome case for a good price. the evercases are totaly screw less, including drive bays, and are well built. There not much to look at, but I have seen a couple of them built and thay are a very good case, better in quality than my aspire but not as cool looking.

I think that as long as you don't mount your motherboard in a kleenex box with a power supply consisting of a hamster wheel and a generator, you'll be fine. As long as you like what you have. I've seen a case made with an ant farm in the side window. And a case made out of pvc pipe.

Good luck on the build. Use the ZIF socket wisely.

lol, good stuff. I've actually got the case now, along with the motherboard and PSU. The Antec PSU is well worth the $70 I paid for it. I can see now how wise it is to employ a higher-quality power supply.

The only thing that is unfortunate this eve is that my processor won't arrive until tomorrow. Blast. :rasp:

Can't wait to see the pics ( I'd like step by step if possible) I can't help it, seeing PC's get put together gives me chills :rasp: . I just want to get my hands in there and help too :grin: I've seen some of the equipment your going to be working with, like your video card cooler(nice). Hope it all goes well.

Hey George,

It'll be at least until Thursday or Friday before I can have a decent pictorial made. I'm transitioning between harddrives at the moment. :happy: lol - Sam ended up building the whole damn thing! We broke the dvd writer, though. [long story that I do not want to get into] :rasp:

So far so good, though..I'm pretty impressed. I can't wait till Socket 754 high end processors go down in price; it'll be nice to get a Athlon 64 3700+/1mb L2 cache down the road. I sometimes question if Socket 939 was the way to go, but I'm not hardcore and I know this rig will last me a while if I treat it right. Time to get a good vid card now and really see what this sucker can do.

Well..I bit the bullet and bought an ATI-made Radeon 9800 pro 128mb/256mbit. It's last generation or so, but it's better than nothing. I sold my 9600se to a co-worker.

I decided to go with the 9800 pro because I believe that Star Wars Galaxies' engine would not really benefit too much from a card such as the nVidia 6800 [aside from inane multiples of AA + such]. I feel I'll get a very good experience with the 9800 pro and Far Cry, too. That's all I really have time to play these days - although I did see Doom 3 last night and it was sick. I'm sure it'll handle that fine, too.

I did buy it retail, not used, and paid more for such, but it was $179 and that's one of the best prices I've seen in a while.

Should be interesting. :happy:

Wowza, that's a crazy case. Interesting pictorial there.

Anyway, the Radeon 9800 pro is purring nicely. I've also attached a Thermaltake Extreme Giant III on it and it's definitely running much cooler.

Games like Doom 3, Far Cry + Star Wars Galaxies are all running quite well. I honestly have no complaints about this configuration and I'll most likely be content for quite a while..

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I haven't updated this in a while! Well, anyway - I attached a XP-120 to my processor, and now my system temps are slick! I can't get above 38ish celcius under full load - and that's on a hot day. Great news today, however..

My hard drive is dying [clicks of death]. Looks like it's Raptor time..

p.s. I also dynamically rewired everything within my case and the airflow is awesome. I'll take some updated pics soon.

Rofl.

Well, it's not loud as in *VROOOOM* loud, but WDs have this really irritating high pitched whiny sound that won't get masked by fans or possibly your A/C.

Hard drives (standard 8MB cache 7200 RPM ones) are pretty cheap nowadays. The RAID card might cost a bit, but the performance with a quad RAID will be every bit as good as dual Raptors. If you run a Raptor without RAID, it defeats the purpose as you're not going to get much improvement.

Not true. In fact, it's the exact opposite re boot times when you take into account of the boot ROM loading times. Where I noticed made the most difference was over time when you fill your PC up with junk, it still remains relatively responsive compared to a single drive system.

Raptors are a waste of money unless you're after extreme performance, and don't forget it's only 74GBs. I could fill that up easy in a month or 2, which is why I store only system files on the Raptors and use the Caviars for games, apps and stuff.

A 20% increase in performance sounds about right, but like I said - it's not all about loading times. Instead of buying a single Raptor, buy 2 120GBs and RAID them - similar price, slightly better performance, triple the storage and less heat + noise. These 10k RPM beasts get REALLY hot. The only intake fan in my entire system is to cool these.