Audiobooks on X-Series

Rate this question

jimbo

Question

Hi. If you're like me and want audiobooks on your new X-Series, but want it kept seperate from the rest of your music collection (Why didn't Sony include this feature?), then you may find this useful.

I stumbled upon this by accident, but it would appear that any music you place in the PODCASTS folder is subsequently kept seperate from the rest of your music, which means no more stumbling upon random sections of audiobooks when using shuffle! Unfortunately the player can only see music files one folder level deep, so you have to have lots of seperate folders for each audiobook (I was hoping I could have first an 'Audiobooks' folder, and then one folder for each audiobook, but hey ho).

I thought I'd put this up in case it helps anyone - but maybe I'm the only one who had this problem... oh well :)

3 answers to this question

IUnfortunately I've discovered a slight issue with my "solution". As the player thinks each track of your audiobook is a podcast, it doesn't move automatically onto the next track, and I can't find a setting anywhere to change that. Not so much a problem if you have your audiobook split into a few large 30min+ segments, but it is an issue if, like a few of my audiobooks, they are split into lots of small 2 minute segments so you have to kkep pressing next every few minutes. I suppose I'll have to go back to having them in my music collection :(

I just can't think why Sony didn't include this feature? And seeing as any music placed in the PODCASTS folder is then kept seperate from the Music collection, it would seem that it would be relatively easy to add an AUDIOBOOKS folder to do a similar job (with a few changes - like automatically moving onto next track). This could be quite possible to add in a firmware update. I have actually sent an email to Sony support with my feedback on the player and a few questions regarding why some features on previous Walkmans were ommitted and why Sony hasn't moved forward by introducing new features, such as better audiobooks management. I also asked whether they had any intention of introducing new features in future firmware updates. This was my reply:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

I am pleased to learn that you are the owner of a Sony NWZ-X1060.

In response to your e-mail, I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us with your feedback concerning Sony WALKMAN products.

Such feedback is always appreciated as it is viewed as an integral part of our development as a company. I would like to inform you that I have forwarded your feedback to the relevant department for their information.

Whilst they will not look to contact you directly in regards to this, I can confirm that your view on this will be recognised. Whilst I am unable to guarantee that a firmware update will be released for this product, I do recommend referring to the below web address for further details regarding firmware announcements for this product:

http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/wm/nwvp/nwvp.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=NWZ-X1060

I hope that you will continue to enjoy the use of your Sony NWZ-X1060 and thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Customer Information Centre

Bog standard email giving nothing away. Oh well, I guess it's back to stumbling onto random bits of audiobooks when using Shuffle.