It also has very light 100-200 volt Switching

power supply.

Both are made in Malaysia. The NH-800 looks

very ugly with a very rough large handcontrol

because of the radio and NO cradle.

I would not mind living with the large radio but

since it could NOT record radio programs, I decided

to give it a miss.

NH-900 is a very good buy with good feature list.

However the finishing is not expected of such a high

priced device.. looks like a plastic toy.

Anyway bottom line is the electronics and runtime.

I record nature sounds and this is my main purpose.

Allan

hmm.. yeah, i was also under the impression that the nhf800's don't come with a backlight.. otherwise they would stress in their specifications list a "backlit" lcd remote with tuner functions hehe.

so now i guess i'll have to take one step up and get the nh900 just for the backlit remote... =(

and the half plastic/alloy construction hehe  :laugh:

Both halves of the NH900's construction looks pretty similar through an average glance. The NH1's harder magnesium shell might serve well against being pancaked, but both the NH1's and NH900's internals are going to break in any serious freefall accidents... and we know it's the "guts" that matter the most in the end :happy:

hmm.. yeah, i was also under the impression that the nhf800's don't come with a backlight.. otherwise they would stress in their specifications list a "backlit" lcd remote with tuner functions hehe.

so now i guess i'll have to take one step up and get the nh900 just for the backlit remote... =(

Well, I swear my 800 remote has a back light.. it's not mentioned in the specs, but it's pictured on their website with the remote lit up on the 800.. personally i did not find any of the 900's advantages to be worth an extra $50, at least for my purposes.

Well, I swear my 800 remote has a back light.. it's not mentioned in the specs, but it's pictured on their website with the remote lit up on the 800.. personally i did not find any of the 900's advantages to be worth an extra $50, at least for my purposes.

why don't you post a pic of 800 remote when backlited, just so prove to those who said the remote doesn't have backlit in the wrong! personally, I'd like to see that too :smile:

yeah, pics are proof enough for me..

btw about the nh-700's they don't appear to have a VPT accoustic engine, now i want to know whether that makes music sound a lot better or is it just a minor feature?

i could save 200 AUD here and get a non-backlit remote =)

otherwise, its nh900 for me

Our NHF800 remote does not have a backlight. Sony certainly has confused the matter by posting pictures of the unit with a backlit remote. Perhaps this is a regional difference (UK model?) In any case, if you buy the US model, do NOT expect a backlit remote.

-Matt

They confuse everyone with those pictures. The photos of the NF520D (netmd downloader) also show the RM-MC34LT remote as being backlit, but it's not. I know for a fact; I've owned this unit (bought it for my best friend). What's odd is while the pictures show a backlight, the description text at SonyStyle does not mention one... but on units with a backlit remote, it does state that the remote is backlit.

Smells like subtle false advertisement to me.

why don't you post a pic of 800 remote when backlited, just so prove to those who said the remote doesn't have backlit in the wrong! personally, I'd like to see that too :smile:

If you really want me to post a pic I will, but i'm not making up the fact my remote lights up. and how do you post pics here?