100 dollar Headphones

Rate this topic

Strungup

I have the Experience of studio engineering so I have heard the Phones that noone can buy unless a company does it for you .

BUT : .........

We live in the real world ( sortof ) and most people have phones that are in the 20 dollar to 50 dollar range , Well , They are ok and some good ones can be had for that price , but you miss a lot of the real sound quality.

In the 100 dollar range , the quality increases dramatically from standard earbuds , to over the ear "Cans " as we call them .

I have had the Sennheiser PX100's ( most MD'ers will agree on those )PX100_ZoomPrivate.jpg

But currently use the AKG K-420's ( which I really like ) sluchawki-akg-k420-denim_3403.jpg

Yesterday I got a chance to listen to the new Sennheiser HD-238 Compact phones designed for DAP's ........ I tried all three models 228 ( 7000 yen ) , and the the Hd218 ( 4,980 yen )

But the Senn's Hd-238 really took me by surprise at 9,800 yen ....... i will definately be getting a pair of these . Very Comfortable , Very clear , solid sounding and detailed . Me Likes !

HD238mainlarge.jpg

So what's on your noggin ??

Well,once you start using headphones instead of earbuds (not including high end IEM like IE8 ) it becomes hard to use those stock earphones .

It always hard for me to adjust for atleast 10 min ,when I use my E931 with my walkman on the go .beyers and sennheiser HD650 has spoit my listening habits ..

only IE8 or IE 7 looks like a solution for me now lol

The HD 212's actually are more bass heavy than he XB700's, and tend to give me a noggin' ache. They sound good, but TOO bassy!!!! I also have a FiiO E3 and a PA2V2 amp, and I refuse to use either. A portable player should be able to drive your phones (IMO) without any extra accessories. The exception is w/a set of high resistance, high ohm cans, or the opposite end of the spectrum. The highest I go is 60ohm, lowest is 24ohm.

I'm not too much a tech head, but I now enough to understand the basics of it. For me, 300ohm cans are a no-no.

I can understand not using the E3 with the 212's The E3 has a Bass enhanced curve added in from the start and cannot be turned off . I bought the E5 for that reason ( Gave my kid the E3 )

The E5 you can turn the Bass off for a Neutral presence and it has Volume control . Pretty cool for such a tiny gadget (............ now where did I put the dang thing ?!??!?) Nobody Move .

Oh your only allowed to say that when the contacts drop to the floor :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

" No High's , No Lows ,.......Must be Bose !"

well I cant be completely harsh , I do like the Little Bose Desktop Speakers , I tried them with my Md at the store ........... For such tiny speaker ( "My What big price tags youve got " said the wolf )

but they had a pretty interesting sound .

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/computer_speakers/music_monitor/index.jsp

musicmonitor.jpg

The only headphones I use these days are the Logitech G35 gaming headphones for my PC, and the Sony DR-BT21G bluetooth headset with my iPhone.

Lol, wow!!!! I see even you went w/an iPhone. If it wasn't so expensive I'd have 1 myself. I'll go w/the new Nokia N900 by years end, maybe. My BB Storm really sux!!!

Now, sorry for the derailment, so back on topic!!!

The only headphones I use these days are the Logitech G35 gaming headphones for my PC, and the Sony DR-BT21G bluetooth headset with my iPhone.

Well at least Chris isnt as bad as Bill Gates , who wont even allow an Apple Product in his House ( Although , I completely believe that the Wife and Kids secretly have a stash !!!! )

how is Sound Quality of DR-BT21G in general, specially with walkmans ?I always wanted to try them ,but at somy store these are packed and its necessary to buy before putting them on .

I won't do my expected rant on wireless headphones and wireless hardware in general, but will simply suggest doing some in-depth research on the topic.

Off topic :

Well,I know you have lots of reservations against wireless gadgets :).One of the reasons, I myself , haven't got wireless headphones either,but now after watching few documetaries on news channels regarding how our vegetable ,fruits are injected with hamrful chemicals ,so that they can ripe quickly (atleast a big problem in developing countries because greed of few ).I'm somewhat ignoring many these days and harm of wireless is just amongst them .

how is Sound Quality of DR-BT21G in general, specially with walkmans ?I always wanted to try them ,but at somy store these are packed and its necessary to buy before putting them on .

Off topic :

Well,I know you have lots of reservations against wireless gadgets :).One of the reasons, I myself , haven't got wireless headphones either,but now after watching few documetaries on news channels regarding how our vegetable ,fruits are injected with hamrful chemicals ,so that they can ripe quickly (atleast a big problem in developing countries because greed of few ).I'm somewhat ignoring many things these days and harm of wireless is just amongst them .

Google " Super Weeds " and see what you get

I occassionally use the DR-BT22A (previously forgot to mention I have them) with my Walkman(s). There is no doubt that SQ suffers a little bit in a silent environment. But when I'm outdoors the convenience is worth the trade-off.post-8-125239565542_thumb.jpg

Google " Super Weeds " and see what you get

I wasn't talking about GM crops .I will try to find the videos and will send you via PM .To prevent this thread getting derailed from off topic discussions ..hehe though I started it lol

I occassionally use the DR-BT22A (previously forgot to mention I have them) with my Walkman(s). There is no doubt that SQ suffers a little bit in a silent environment. But when I'm outdoors the convenience is worth the trade-off

BT22A is an upgraded model to BT21G?

and thanks for the input

The sonic quality of the DR-BT21G headphones aren't astonishing, but the fact it is wireless and very portable is the biggest enjoyment factor. They fold up into nearly nothing, have excellent battery life, and also work as a bluetooth headset for phone calls. It is incredible to be listening to music, get a phone call, accept, the music pauses automatically and I talk via the headphones, and once I finish the call the music starts again.

Plus, when using it as a bluetooth headset for phone calls, the talk time is incredible because of the larger battery compared to smaller bluetooth headsets.

I wasn't talking about GM crops .I will try to find the videos and will send you via PM .To prevent this thread getting derailed from off topic discussions ..hehe though I started it lol

BT22A is an upgraded model to BT21G?

and thanks for the input

I might be wrong,Stuge, but I reckon they both have the same SQ specs. The difference is the design, BT22A are "over-head" ( traditional) style, whereas BT21G are the more modern "behind-head" design. BT22A also fold very neatly but they feel a little brittle and prone to breaking if roughly handled. I believe they will be discontinued shortly and can be got at really good prices now. I wholly recommend them if you can get a bargain.