Dilema

Rate this topic

Tiesto

unsure.gif

Hi there, Im in the middle of a dilema :rasp: I was typing my personal info to buy the MZNH600D at Etronics (after that I'd go to audiocubes to buy the RM-MC33EL remote), but my cousin, who was next to me, did a simple mathematical operation:

MZNH600D + RMMC33EL + SHIPMENT = US$233

MZNHF800 + SHIPMENT = US$224

Few seconds after I checked the add myself, I stopped the purchase right away. Im not a big fan of the tuner remote it's kinda fragil and expensive and I mean very! besides I have a NetMD with that remote. So my question is what would be your pick?

These are the features that I look for:

1. HiMD+remote

2. Sound quality

3. General durability

4. Cost-effective

Any comment will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

The NHF800 is much better looking than the NH600. If looks play into it, then get the 800, esp since its cheaper.

It all boils down to whether you can bear living with the remote. If you already have the NHF800's remote via an old NetMD unit, and can bear to live with it, then get the NH700 which is the same unit as NHF800 minus the tuner remote.

The NHF800 is much better looking than the NH600. If looks play into it, then get the 800, esp since its cheaper.

It all boils down to whether you can bear living with the remote. If you already have the NHF800's remote via an old NetMD unit, and can bear to live with it, then get the NH700 which is the same unit as NHF800 minus the tuner remote.

And minus the radio tuner as well. In fact, the radio tuner remote won't fit into any remote jack on a unit without the radio tuner. There are two small plastic tabs on the bottom of the remote plug on the RM-MC34LT which slide into slots on the appropriate units. I bought an NF520D (netmd downloader) for a friend, and the remote would not fit into the remote jack on my old N10. However, the RM-MC33EL worked fine on the NF520D.

The NH700 isnt released in LatinAmerica yet and I know for sure that the price will be about the same as the american NH900. So my options are those released over USA (the cheaper ones). I must add that my cash limit is US$235 (I buy Im broke :sad:)

The NHF800 comes with "VPT" Acoustic Engine (Virtual Phone Technology = Virtual Surround). That's about the only difference.

My N10 had VPT.

It sounds like you're listening to your music in a big metal drum. Definitely not good, IMO.

The Dolby NR Headphone on Sharp units is FAR superior. (Although I don't even use that.) :laugh:

Please help me  :sad: The link below states that the NHF800 comes with carry pouch and one HiMD blank, is it true for USA version???  unsure.gif

All Hi-MD units regardless of region come with one Hi-MD blank. blink.gif

The carrying pouch, I dunno about. It's just a cloth bag anyway, not very useful if you ask me.

I would imagine the entire blister packing of the NHF800 weighs around a pound and a half, maybe three-quarters? I dunno. They feel kinda heavy at the store.

I just received a email from Etronics about whether or not the NHF800 comes with a HiMD blank:

"Thanks for inquiring about our products. I'm sorry but we do not have the blank MD's in stock and it does not come with a blank one."

:sad: bad news for me... mad.gif

I think they are full of doo-doo - the blank disk is in the plastic shipping container and is put in there by the manufacturer, not the vendor.

I hope so...

maybe the international versions don't come with blanks...

It is the USA version what I asked them. :sleep:

The US NHF800 has a Hi-MD blank in its packaging.  :blink:  

I've seen them at the store.

:grin: so, these guys from Etronics really dont know... I visited Sony.com and according to the info all HiMD devices come with one 1G blank disc, on top of that the NH600D comes with a MDCASE3 :smile:

So I'm scrounging around the stores, looking for a case to fit my player.

I've found that the larger Game Boy Advance SP cases fit the cost-reduced MD units like a glove. It works quite well actually. Used one for my N505 for the longest time. :happy:

For the compact and low-profile models (e.g. NH1), you really don't even need a case as the device is plenty small enough to fit into even the tiny pockets of girls' jeans.

My listening portable (DS8) doesn't have a carry case. I just slip it into the pocket of my jeans or my skirt, clip the remote to my shirt and go.

You generally have to slide recording portables in sideways or they won't fit well. :happy:

Player-only MD units are already oriented sideways (left-side loading), while recorders are top-loading, and thus are wider than they are tall.

I would suggest going to GameStop or some similar place (CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City) and take your MD with you. Try out each case at the GBA-SP area until you find one that fits the best.

Hi there, its me again. Now there's a new dilema :wacky: :wacky: (call me crazy or undecided :laugh: ). I realize that if I buy any HiMD device I will be probably broken (not to say 99% sure), so why not do it with 'style' :cool:. The target is the MZ-NH900 now, but I want to know for sure what is the performance of its gumstick battery? how long does it last at any mode? it is absolutely impossible to plug a rechargeable AA (one with similar characteristics) with the NH10WM at the same time? Thanks in advance for any help. :happy:

Dont know about the performance. However

Yes you can run an external battery (AA Alk, Ni-CD or Ni-MH) in the external case so that the internal & external drain down together.

You can also buy a bigger internal "GumStick" battery, NH14WM. This will about double the manuals figures for the internal only battery (and add the same difference to the figures with both internal & external times)

The manuals were available in PDF form on either here or minidisct.com, I cant find them now.

The NH900 comes with an attachable external AA battery case. Therefore you can run the 900 on AA batteries as well as with the internal rechargeable battery.

but someone said that you cant mix the NiMH gumstick and NiMH rechargeable AA at the same time. I want to know if there's a way to do that, for example one NiMH AA with similar characteristics as an alkaline AA mellow.gif

You can use Ni-CD/MH AAs, but it's not recommended. It's been stated in the Sharp manual that you should only use alkaline AAs, and I don't think we've got anyone here who's experienced enough with internal electronics to give a conclusion on why you can't do that.

You can also buy a bigger internal "GumStick" battery, NH14WM. This will about double the manuals figures for the internal only battery (and add the same difference to the figures with both internal & external times)

No it won't. 10WM = 1000mAh, 14WM = 1350mAh. You'd get around 30% increased playback time, give or take a few, but definately not double the original amount.

PS. Those of us who have been using MDs since the pre-NetMD days (especially those with R55/R90s) will know from experience that Sony greatly exaggerates battery life figures. Since battery life is no longer an issue in modern day portables (in exchange for deteriorating sound quality), most people no longer care about how much their real battery life falls short of the quoted figures.

PS. Those of us who have been using MDs since the pre-NetMD days (especially those with R55/R90s) will know from experience that Sony greatly exaggerates battery life figures. Since battery life is no longer an issue in modern day portables (in exchange for deteriorating sound quality), most people no longer care about how much their real battery life falls short of the quoted figures.

:sad: so the battery life is smaller than the stated in the manual...

edited:

damn...