Is it just me, or are the new HI-MD units plain ugly?

Rate this topic

Syrius

I don't know. Can't seem to find a single Hi-MD unit that I find aesthetically appealing. That button thingy some units have under that screen is just plain ugly, IMHO. After seeing the sophistication (for its time) of my first R 37, the practicality and great design of my SR 60, and the simple, yet stylish appearance of my E 35, the new units remind me of those 50's movies with robots going crazy and attacking all humans.

Is it just me, or should Sony try to make their Hi-MD a little bit more, dare I say, sexy? (If an SR 70 is not a good example of the word "sexy", I don't know what is.)

You seem to be into the whole old-school thing when it comes to unit design. :grin:

I think the Hi-MD units are ugly, myself, save for the NH1, which is really sexy looking in my opinion. Don't like the protruding 4-way button though.

In my opinion, the sharp units are generally a lot cooler looking than the Sonys. I think my DS8 is teh sex... especially with that flashing blue LED on the unit... very nice touch.

And .. button thingy?  You mean the shuttle wheel?  God, after using it, I'd never go back to the old way.  I love it.

The button thingy pwns!

I really like the scroll wheel on the NH900. It's a really efficient method of going through menus, give props to iPod for bringing it around, now everyone's making their own version of the clickwheel. :grin:

i personally think the 900 looks sleek BUT!!! have you seen the new $1,900 U.S. player only unit? sony makes it but i think its a branch off the sony line like aiwa. its made of solid brass and it come with a newly designed remote with a better pair of silicone gasketed earbud plug ins. ill have to find the link for you.

quite frankly i think Sony base their deign decisions on the ASIAN markets/consumers.. (opinion) :cool:

look at how small thier units,buttons and displays are.. now most US consumer electronics are what we call big and bulky a perfect example is the XBOX.. wow was that all bulky and the controler huge.. yeah.. but it was designed based mostly on the hands of the Americans right.. can't say the same about the PS.. and i remember when the XBOX was in development a lot of people complained about the PS's control beaing tight etc....

and altho i haven't been around much i've seen a lot of Americans/europeans and a lot of people from the east (chinese, japanese.lol they all look the same :laugh: ) and checking their hands the difference in size is quite noticable..

Regardless of anything,new Hi-MD lineup is generally ugly. MZNH 600-800 look like hunchbacks of Notre Dame. :ninja: MZNH900 is bearable, but stylewise doesn't come close to it's predecessor MZN910. MZNH1 has that strange, love or hate look. It's really weird, it has that 1950's meet 21-century feel about it. Looks much better in gold than in sivler colour. :rasp:

Cheers

The only other Hi-MD I've seen in person besides the NH1 was the NH600D. It was a bit too chunky for my tastes... (sorry for the noiseyness/bluriness some of these pics. Not the best lighting wink.gif)

user posted imageMan. The iRiver looks downright chunky compared to these other units.

user posted imageA comparison of the R900, NH1, and Sharp DS8. I think both the NH1 and the DS8 are good looking in different ways.

user posted imageThe NH1 and DS8 side by side. If you've seen a DS8 this'll give you a feel for how big the buttons on the side of the NH1 are (again sorry for the bad photos).

user posted imageThe NH1 is hard to convey with photos. It always comes off looking bigger than it is in real life. Honestly, when I opened the box and picked it up I was quite surprised how small and light it was for a recorder, really not that much thicker than my DS8. The plastic control part on the side always bugged me in photos I'd seen, but that's just the nature of macro shots-- it makes it look huge. It really doesn't look bad in real life.

user posted imageCan't deny this thing is sexy wink.gif

No doubt the NH1 is nice, only thing i dont like about it is the main unit display.

Yeah,It's almost useless. Maybe they could have scrapped it altogether and bring the price down a bit. It has been almost a month , since I bought the unit,and after initial playing around, haven't looked at da thing. I found meself using da remote all da time.

Cheers

I cant believe it. I have waited so long to see a R900 next to a NH1 & then, on the day my MH1 will arrive to replace my R900 you put the picture I really wanted to see on the web...

Oh well, it looks very nice & mine should be here in a few hours (I hope)

PS How did you keep your R900 so clean, mine has no lettering on the front & looks like it has seen better days (but still works)

It has been almost a month , since I bought the unit,and after initial playing around, haven't looked at da thing. I found meself using da remote all da time.

Funny. I have the NH700, with the black remote with no display at all, and I don't normally look at the display on the unit either.

The only thing I ever use it for is setting record levels and watching to be sure the TOC is done writing after recording. Oh, and using the menus to turn on manual rec levels.

I never use it during playback.

Qwakrz, sorry I took so long to take pics of my NH1, I've had it for a couple weeks now tongue.gif

The R900... I guess I kept it well protected, mostly only listened to it at work. It served me will until I picked up the S1 in May of 2002, so I guess it didn't get as much use as it could have, going for maybe 15 months or so. It may look alright on the outside, but it's buggy and unreliable anymore. I should have thrown my R90 into the mix to compare another generation of recorders wink.gif

Yeah,It's almost useless. Maybe they could have scrapped it altogether and bring the price down a bit. It has been almost a month , since I bought the unit,and after initial playing around, haven't looked at da thing. I found meself using da remote all da time.

Cheers

Man, i would too. That NH1 remote is friggin awsome.

PS How did you keep your R900 so clean, mine has no lettering on the front & looks like it has seen better days (but still works)

I have a red (looks pink to me though) R900 that's almost four years old. It's in immaculate condition and I used the hell out of it for almost a year and a half.

Keeping it clean wasn't hard. :happy: In situations where it might get dirty, I always kept it in a carry case or a belt pouch. During my "just walking around" time, I always kept it in the pocket of my jeans or skirt, usually not in my purse because it's small enough to fit in a pocket.

If I could actually find where I put it... I'd pull it out. Last time I used it though, I remember that the printing on the chassis was somewhat worse for wear. The "digital recording" on the top was completely worn away. :rasp:

uhh Cori.. didn't know you were a chick. cool...

Keeping it clean wasn't hard. ^^ In situations where it might get dirty, I always kept it in a carry case or a belt pouch. During my "just walking around" time, I always kept it in the pocket of my jeans or skirt, usually not in my purse because it's small enough to fit in a pocket

well not to be a sexist or anything but you don't talk like a chick especially the way you talk about minidiscs and relating topics i just wasn't paying much attention i guess... Girls are usually uhh... don't care about the details etc etc. when it comes to electronics .. if it looks nice then fine .. :smile: . no offence right.. :cool:..

plus i remeber there's this user who always had a pic of this chick.. so i thought it was a chick.. then i made a comment about the pic and this dude i think it's "daijoubu" said he's a dude... uh huh... so i didn't wanna make that mistake again

well not to be a sexist or anything but you don't talk like a chick especially the way you talk about minidiscs and relating topics i just wasn't paying much attention i guess... Girls are usually uhh... don't care about the details etc etc. when it comes to electronics  .. if it looks nice then fine .. :smile: . no offence right.. :cool:..

plus i remeber there's this user who always had a pic of this chick.. so i thought it was a chick.. then i made  a comment about the pic and this dude i think it's "daijoubu" said he's a dude... uh huh... so i didn't wanna make that mistake again

I don't take offense. Well, sort of.

Um, I'm always concerned about the details when it comes to things I spend my money on. I'm 20 years old and I don't make a lot of money, so when I want to use it for something, I try to make sure it's worth it. (Thus I regret ever even considering that N10...)

I've always been teh ubernerdgirl, didn't have many friends in HS, etc. Popularity at my school for girls seemed to be proportionate to breast size, or something like that. Being gay (lesbian if you prefer) seemed to have a major negative impact on my popularity level, so while I still loved doing the "girl" thing, I really got into computer games, fantasy writings, electronics and more recently, audio gear. :happy:

I also love to learn, and I'm totally fascinated with how sound and audio works.

So you can just say that my lack of a life caused me to immerse myself in the details. I can't see the forest for the trees, however, and I have a hard time putting up with "normal" girls. They just seem like void-brains to me. :laugh:

wow...... wish my girlfriend was sorrta like you... a lil rough on the edges and a lil more techno..but nah.. she's a perfect example of a typical girly girl if i might say so.. she recently bought this mp3 player for uhh i won't say .. but for a 64mb mp3 player it was far from worth it.. and altho i tried to be supportive i thought it was a st00pid investment.. she was like.. well i saw it and it was soo cute.. ( it's purple ) so i'm like cool.. it probably hold on about10 songs right, she's like more like 20 :wink: so i'm like okay let me not go there and ended the soon to be argument.. :smile: only to attack it again 5 mins later.. ne ways..

Cori's a cool chick :cool: ..

( i was watching "MADE" on MTV earlier today and saw this girly girl chick transformed to a "real" chick, the story goes something like this... she wanted to be MADE into a BMX rider.. she had a ton of Girly friends who thought going to the mall was da ish.. ne who.. she started riding her bike .. fell a lot never gave up.. got tons of burns, cuts ..etc.. she met Dave Mira.. blah blah.. at the end of 5 weeks she NAILED A BACK FLIP OFF A RAMP.. damn i was jumping like crazy.. cuz that' was da ish :laugh: )

crazybt man, it's your own fault that she bought a POS mp3 player. If you'd bought her the pink iPod Mini that even non-tech savy girls drool over, there'd be no problem wink.gif

Uh, ahem, yes. I need to see the NH800 / 900 IRL before I decide if they're fugly or not. The Nh1 is pimp though.