Live concert recording comment on pre-set 'Loud Music' MZNH1

Rate this topic

johnnyk

If you just got your MZNH1 like me and want to tape a live concert, beware of using the 'Loud Music' pre-set... It bites.

I set it to record on PCM, Hi-MD mode (loud music) to get the best possible sound and it is so distorted, it's painful to listen to. I taped a lot of live concerts with my MZN1 and MZR55 and got way better quality on the low mic sensitivity.

I used a pretty good mic and should have gotten a great result but am exceptionally dissapointed.

Any advice for settings for hard-rock concerts? Keep in mind it must be set before hand to be discreet.

Thanks.... :sad:

Johnny K

www.sticktotheright.com

I've only taped one concert so far with the NH1 (my first taped concert ever, actually), and I wasn't really expecting much. I got Sony's T-mic and used low mic sensitivity, the 'for loud music' setting, and manual recording volume which I tweaked during the sound check and kept an eye on for the first song or two.

I used Hi-SP because I only had one disc and I expected the concert to run well over the hour and a half I could have fit using PCM. The result was quite passable (especially for a first try), with no distortion from the loud parts. I really can't complain, but I want to get another show or two taped before I draw any reliable conclusions. Hopefully a short show, so that PCM is feasible.

Note: I'm obviously not a professional at this sort of thing, so my standards may be lower than yours tongue.gif.

Both of these reports are confusing (to me):

rm: The mic sensitivity and loud music settings are two different things. The first setting is when you record using AGC. The other is the microphone setting. Did you record using both "loud music" for AGC and low sensitivity for the mic setting? You may know this but it is hard to tell from your report what you did.

jk: If you use "manual" recording (set the level manually), then the "loud music" setting is irrelevant; it is for AGC and would have no effect on your recording.

Both of these reports are confusing (to me):

rm: The mic sensitivity and loud music settings are two different things. The first setting is when you record using AGC. The other is the microphone setting. Did you record using both "loud music" for AGC and low sensitivity for the mic setting? You may know this but it is hard to tell from your report what you did.

jk: If you use "manual" recording (set the level manually), then the "loud music" setting is irrelevant; it is for AGC and would have no effect on your recording.

I wasn't sure what the 'loud music' setting really did, honestly. I tend to be one of those 'screw around first, read the manual if you have a problem' people. I knew I wanted a manual recording level, so I'd capture the dynamics changes during the show. But I just went and picked 'for loud music', low mic sensitivity, and then chose manual so I could adjust the recording level on the fly. If the 'for loud music' setting was trumped by choosing a manual recording level, that makes sense tongue.gif. I just wanted to test things out and figured I'd do the actual reading later if necessary. I ended up with a pretty good quality recording anyway though! :ohmy:

I do apologize for giving some flawed information though. While I tend to mess around prior to reading manuals, I do usually make sure to read before I post somewhere. Now I've gone and immortalized my misconceptions. Ah well, you win some, you lose some...

I have an MZ-NHF800 which I recently used to record a live acoustic concert which had no sound reinforcement.

I used a Sony MS907 with a Mic sensisitivity setting of "High Sensitivity" and an AGC of "Standard". The recording was OK. For a first try, all auto settings and unmonitored, I'm pretty happy.

I recently picked up a set of Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2 in ear binaural mics. In order to optimize the recording settings, I put on variety of music on my home stereo and played it at a variety of volume levels and then recorded the same section of music repeatedly, noting the tracks and the settings.

In this way, I feel I'm a little better prepared for my next live recording situation.

What I haven't tried is going through the line in to see if there is any improvement with either mic.

BTW, I've found that, at least with my mics, the loud music setting increases BG noise significantly.

Paolo

I recommend using manual setting and adjusting the mic sensitivity (must be done in rec pause). Then snap fingers in front of mic (about 4 inches away) to make sure ur getting signals and levels aren't too high or too low.

Do this mic in. Better yet get a 9V batttery module and go line in (but still do same settings in rec pause). Leave in Pause Rec with the 'hold' on until it's showtime. Then un'hold' and press pause to start recording, then turn 'hold' back on.

• 1 month later...

To run mics through Line-In you would  need a preamp unless the music is exceptionally loud.  Mic-In has a built-in preamp.

Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L --> PA-6LC2 --> Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD

I know the PA-6LC2 can't be considered a pre-amp but would you use the Line-In or the Mic-In with that rig A440?

Just to clarify, when you're in manual mode you can adjust the level on the fly while recording

How can you be sure you're in manual mode?

Set the unit on REC-Pause, then Menu --> REC Set --> REC Volume --> Manual.

Unit shows REC xx/30.

xx is the value, you had set the last time.

Rotating the jog-dial adjusts.

The lowest line shows the input level, Sony recommends to keep the level around the center. (Marked by a dot.) A second dot is at the right end, levels shouldn't touch that, as that is the OVER mark.

• 2 weeks later...

It was stated that the recording level could be tweaked during recording without having to pause, which is really cool.

My question is, can the recording levels be changed on-the-fly only when using the Mic input or could it also be done while using the Line input and a mic/battery module? Also, can recording be started from the remote and is there a VU (level) meter on the remote to monitor whether the recording is too loud? Is the remote backlit? ( looking for stealth features here ;-)> )

Thanks,

Z?