might switch from Ipod to hi-MD

Rate this topic

rscaramelo

Hello everyone. I am considering putting my 20g IPod for sale on Ebay to buy a Sony hi-MD, maybe the MZ-NHF800. Can you convince me to do so?

If I were to rate my IPod experience, I would give it a 6 out of 10. It contains my entire music collection, all 12g worth, and that is cool. However, I'd like to use mainstream batteries (AAA, AA) and I can't stand the "buttons".

My collection is all legal, I don't do file sharing. I buy music from sites like Walmart and ITunes or I just buy the actual cd. I would like to have a tuner too.

Any help would be great. Anybody want to trade? wink.gif

thanks,

rscaramelo

These days, everybody is trying to sell you an 'experience' rather than a 'product'. It is like those tech support centres who have all the 'customer service' scripts but can't fix your problem worth a damn! "I still can't print but I feel really GOOD about my support call experience!"

Do you really think that the WalMart 'greeter' gives a @#$% about you...really?

So, I am wary of companies like Apple that try to sell me an 'experience'. "I make my own experiences, thank you very much! I don't need you to tell me what I am going to like!"

It's like you can't go into Starbucks for a @#$%^ cup of coffee! You get an 'experience'! I guess that's why I never go into a Starbucks and have no interest in an iPod.

To me the 'experience' is fabricated and empty...a manipulation based on social psychology 'studies' to get you. I forget how many millions Starbucks paid for the study of what kind of Muzak to play to "enhance the 'Waiting in Line' EXPERIENCE". Hell, that's why I carry my own music...so I don't have to listen to their crap!

Selling the 'experience' assumes that the customer is a passive receiver of whatever you decide to give him whereas if you sell the 'utility' or potential of the product to allow people to do things...then you are assuming that your customer is an 'active' USER of the device.

When I decided to choose MD as my portable audio format, I didn't evaluate the 'experience' or the 'coolness' factor but MD would allow me to do what I wanted to do. That is 'utility' rather than 'experience'.

So, forget the 'experience'! People need to get a 'life' rather than a 'lifestyle'

Um... wth?

I don't know about you, but I think buy things because they work as advertised... if Starbucks makes good frappes then I buy from them?

This isn't making any sense IMO. If you bump a guy's shoulder in a crowded subway and apologise, are you really sorry about it? Obviously you can't expect the cashier or salesman or whoever you see in the street to have a genuine concern about your life, they ask because it's courtesy which gives the impression of good customer service. It's good manners and practice and I encourage more companies to do that. Would you rather speak to a phone drone or an automated answering service? Personally I'd rather speak to a human than be told to "press 1 for telephone banking". rolleyes.gif

Carefactor 0, mate. Let's talk about something relevant, a whinge because you've had a bad day with WalMart or Starbucks or whatever doesn't really belong here.

I made some quick rounds this morning and all I could find was the MZ-NH600D. I bought it but didn't take it out of the package yet. I think I really want a MZ-NHF800 because of the tuner. I've read that the tuner is mediocre but I most listen to talk radio so that isn't a big concern. Any opinions on these 2 units? The tuner portion of the unit is in the unit and not the the remote?

rscaramelo

I'm in Massachusetts.

I've been looking online for the 900 and I have found it for about $250. That's only 50 more than what I paid for the 600. Not bad.

So the 900 is the one I should get? Does it have a tuner or do I have to go with the 800 instead?

Also, dumb question here: can I record the tuner's audio onto a disk?

thanks,

rscaramelo

Time to get serious here...

I'm in Massachusetts.  

I've been looking online for the 900 and I have found it for about $250. That's only 50 more than what I paid for the 600. Not bad.  

So the 900 is the one I should get? Does it have a tuner or do I have to go with the 800 instead?

Also, dumb question here: can I record the tuner's audio onto a disk?

thanks,

rscaramelo

First, the tuner is included in the 800.

The tuner is in the remote and you can not record from it.

The 900 doesn't has a tuner but other features instead.

If you think, you can live without the radio, take the 900,

but if the radio is essential, take the 800 instead.

A word about batteries: The 800 takes AA-cells directly,

a 700 mAh cell is included, aftermarket suppliers offer batteries

with up to 2400mAh, effectively tripling the playing time given in the manual.

You might need a separate charger to get the full capacity of these.

The 900 takes gumstick type batteries, which are considerably more expensive,

but it allows to get rid of the bulge on the back.

Best thing would be to view the unit's pages here and to download and read the manuals.

The NH900 is here:

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NH900.html

The NHF800 is here:

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NHF800.html

You still have the NH600 lying around?

Don't open the package, return it to get the money back.

These days, everybody is trying to sell you an 'experience' rather than a 'product'. It is like those tech support centres who have all the 'customer service' scripts but can't fix your problem worth a damn! "I still can't print but I feel really GOOD about my support call experience!"

I concur. I have been a CSR for some time, and have seen both the ones who go beyond the call of duty (rare cases, IMHO.) or just the type that you describe. (Majority, sadly).

Sorry to derail the topic. Anyway, what I'd do in your case is compare the pros and cons of each format, and decide overall what would be the best option anyway. I myself would have gone for the pod if not because MD is so affordable, the battery issues, and doesn't need a computer to record your music. And those japanese MD blanks are so darn cool.

Care for a little related humor? (Cuss words ahead. Careful.)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date...003-05-28&res=l

Ipod owners, please forgive me. *dives for cover*

Care for a little related humor?  (Cuss words ahead. Careful.)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date...003-05-28&res=l

Ipod owners, please forgive me. *dives for cover*

rofl

That's oddly true for most normal endusers. Most people don't obsess over sound quality like the audiophiles among our number do. Hey, even I'm annoyed with LP2 mode now, and I was a strong proponent of it for a while. But after it trashed Shiina Ringo's album "Muzai Moratorium," I was pissed off and started eBay-hunting for an MD deck.

Several of my friends can't understand why I'm spending 180USD on building a headphone amp (they were like, "headphones need amps?! wtf?!") and searching for a CD deck, and so on, or why I drool over an iPod Mini + Etymotic ER-4P/X combo... ("the fscking headphones cost more than the player?! that's whacked!")

Some people just don't get it... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

If you want the tuner your gonna have to go with the 800, 'cause the 900 doesnt have one.

And sorry you can't record from the radio onto a MD sad.gif...I my self would get the 900 'cause for one the remote isnt freaking huge like the one on the 800, plus the 900 is just sexy.

But then again reading your first post you seem to want to be able to use regular batteries with your Hi-MD unit and i don't think the 900 can use AA's...

Hmm... i can see why your torn between the two.

If you listen to the radio a lot, I'd say go for the 800. I'm not sure if you can buy its remote separately, and that seems to be the key. Otherwise, you can always pick up a dinky radio somewhere and hook it up to the 900 to record your programming, but that's kinda fiddly.

I'm also finding that, due to my scatterbrained nature, it's handy to have gadgets that run on AAs. I can't trust myself to keep them charged all the time, and I've spent many commutes sitting in silence. I could reach into the glove box and dust off a few cassettes, but when all you have is a Dead or Alive remix cassette and an Icehouse compilation, the drive tends to get very long. :rasp: