To backlight or not to backlight

Rate this topic

BuddyLee

Backlight  

1. 1. Backlight

• On
    • Off
    • Auto

I say: all displays should be backlit, both on the recorders/players and on the remotes.

It should also be switchable, i.e. press a button for the backlight to be on, so that it's not wasting power when you don't need it.

As I've said elsewhere, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to include an indiglo-type backlight on all displays, unless the EMR it causes is so bad that it interferes with playback or recording.

i have to agree with dex on that but i am worried aswell about battery dranage, i want maximum battery so i keep mine on auto or off when i know i will be in a lit area for a while, i also dont know why all displays dont have a backlit screen i had the mz-s1 with that uniq backlit screen on the unit and i thought that was most usefull thing ever but then i go to hi md and find i need a remote with a baklit screen cause the unit doesnt have one?? whats up with that it didnt add that much thikness to the s1 (given the s1 wasnt the thinnest of models) maybe its because of price but i think it would be worth the extra few buks but it is more usefull on the remote aswell...

Consider for a moment the fact that $10 watches less than 4mm thick run on a single lithium/silver oxide/etc. battery for 3 years have had indiglo-type backlights for a few years now.

Admittedly, I'm not an engineer and may be oversimplifying things, but if they can fit such things into extremely inexpensive electronics without difficulty, you'd think they could fit it in our recorders without significantly increasing either the retail price or their manufacturing costs.

wow i was thinking the exact same thing after i posted dex thats an extremely good point but this might be a little bit of a different situatuation im not sure but you might be right with certain kinds of lights effecting the unit in some way, the backlite on the s1 did bulge out a little bit and was on a slant perhaps to deel with design coping? but maybe sony figures people use remotes more anyways so they didnt need them on the unit EH?

Definitely auto, unless I'm in the dark and can't see anything for the life of me.

Random confession: When I'm out in public with my DS8, I will keep the light on so that if I ever do take the remote or unit out of concealment that it will gain attention and hopefully spark a conversation or possibly the interest of a fellow MD'er. So far, the bait hasn't worked..

/dork

I am interested in how badly it would drain the battery to keep the light on my NH1 perm on.

I use it alot at night & trying to read each track when it changes means I have to find the little backlight button & press it.

Might see how much of a change it makes when I get time (& when I have worked out how long it takes to discharge normally)

ah i see... so basically its better off on auto ... i too was also thinking of the watches with their battery power but i wasnt too sure of how much it would drain ... and yea the remote can be a possible conversation starter as stated above :laugh: so i guess until my higher capacity stick battery arrives ill leave it on regular auto ... ty for the feedback

Definitely auto, unless I'm in the dark and can't see anything for the life of me.

Random confession: When I'm out in public with my DS8, I will keep the light on so that if I ever do take the remote or unit out of concealment that it will gain attention and hopefully spark a conversation or possibly the interest of a fellow MD'er. So far, the bait hasn't worked..

/dork

Heehee, me too. Only, I leave the backlight on auto. Useful for when driving around at night.

I clip my DS8 remote to my shirt. People often ask what it is, but it takes them a minute to understand that MD isn't an MP3 player. :laugh: With the N10 I once had, I've had people ask me if the remote was a microphone (with the 'phones unpluged). The RM-MC33EL does kinda look like a little microphone... sort of...

Course when the day comes that my DS8 is retired and replaced by an iPod Mini... the things are so universal that I won't get nearly the attention as I once did. /cry

I hope to come up with some kicking recordings at my local Jazz club when my MZNH900B (Black for stealth!) arrives, and hopefully be able to (if Sony keeps thier promises) bung a copy on CD to the performers to keep them sweet!

Can you tell me if the single line line remote that comes with the 900 will show the recording level. Im also hoping it has a track mark button as well.

Adios My Dears.

I hope to come up with some kicking recordings at my local Jazz club when my MZNH900B (Black for stealth!) arrives, and hopefully be able to (if Sony keeps thier promises) bung a copy on CD to the performers to keep them sweet!

Can you tell me if the single line line remote that comes with the 900 will show the recording level. Im also hoping it has a track mark button as well.

Adios My Dears.

Sorry to say the single line remote does not show rec levels - which really sucks. Therefore I ordered my 3 line remote from Audiocubes, because I really need that feature.

Tom

I used to have the Aiwa AM-F70 with its gloriously backlit screen. I never use remotes, so this was a godsend. Of course, I was stupid and sold it. The backlight never interfered with recordings, and the battery life was just fine. I also liked that you could press one button and it would display the time (I don't wear a watch). And, since I'm talking about it, you can enter Record-Pause mode through the remote. Neat!

I'd LOVE if my Sharp DR-7 was backlit. That, and it would be nice if, in Random Play mode, it would remember what has already played so it doesn't repeat them after a power down (Sony's N10 remembers, which floored me).

Okay, blah blah blah. Backlight on the main unit. Come on, Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, & folks! Let's do it!

...and Kurisu, that's great. I find that the MDs themselves usually call more attention than the MD player. People can't tell an MD player from an MP3 player, but seeing that media gets them curious. smile.gif

omg i wanted the black one but no where had it ... and the sony store in manhattan gave me some nonsense excuse so i settled for the silver one which i got for the nifty price of 260 with tax and everything but to me imo after a week or so with my 900 the stock battery life of the unit with the remote on is pretty durable ... no complaints here